Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,029,028 times

Advertisements

when anyone I know that still decides to get a trampoline even knowing the high risks and the fact that both Drs and people who use tramps on a daily basis HIGHLY urge them NOT to get one, here's what we recommend....
Drop them in level with the ground, put a thick layer of mulch or similar in a 15ft radius around it, that way, when they do fall, it will somewhat cushion them and the injuries will most likely be less severe. Do put the net up, but teach them HOW to fall into it. again, hitting the net with your head can definately cause neck injuries, and many a finger has been caught and busted when they hit it hanging on. Easy way to break or dislocate an arm/shoulder when they reach out to it. Also, regardless of size, DONT put more than one person on at a time. That is where a HIGH rate of injuries come in. Doesnt matter if theyre both little. The little girl who's leg was just broken? She and her sister are 7yr old twins.And even the little ones can get bounced over the net by a child of similar size.
Id also recommend going into a gymnastics center, and asking a coach for some tips regarding trampolines and safety.
Again, its obviously your kids and your choice. But keep in mind, theres reasons Drs and coaches don't have these at home for our kids, nor do we recommend them for home use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,808,908 times
My daugher broke her wrist on one. Never again!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
My cousin broke her leg riding a horse when it fell on her, you hear of kids falling out of trees and spraining an ankle. We used to swing from ropes in the woods over a big drop, and people can drown in backyard pools. Kids will try to do tricks on bikes like riding with no hands and they can fall.

I don't think it's right to have kids sit inside reading a book or playing video games all day and raising them to be too afraid to do anything. All the fun stuff has some risk in it. Go-karts, dirt bikes, bicycles, horses -- but what is childhood without them?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,918,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
I broke my wrist changing a tire.

Obviously, I shouldn't have bought tires.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,898 times
My mom had a trampoline when my little sister was younger. She finally got rid of it when the neighbor kid came over when they weren't home and broke his arm on it with NO ONE THERE. And no homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it. Neighbor kid's parents sued my parents (even though he didn't have my parents permission to be there) and the judge awarded them all sorts of money of course not extra thousands but enough to hurt, said it was an "attractive nuisance". I wouldn't ever have one after that.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,918,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
My mom had a trampoline when my little sister was younger. She finally got rid of it when the neighbor kid came over when they weren't home and broke his arm on it with NO ONE THERE. And no homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it. Neighbor kid's parents sued my parents (even though he didn't have my parents permission to be there) and the judge awarded them all sorts of money of course not extra thousands but enough to hurt, said it was an "attractive nuisance". I wouldn't ever have one after that.
I would have one, but I also have a lock on my gate so uninvited folks can't go traipsing through my back yard. Hard to be an "attractive nuisance" when you have to tear down a fence to get in.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,701,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
without trained supervision very dangerous. it is not a toy.
They are actually toys, just particularly dangerous ones. I would really prefer to turn a 10 year old loose in the woods with a .22 rifle than to leave him alone with a trampoline. At least he or she will take the .22 seriously.

I grew up around trampolines. I also grew up around broken bones, sprained ankles, twisted knees, jammed fingers, and lots of miscellaneous cuts, scrapes and bruises. We all turned out okay (and in those days all the springs were exposed, no safety net, if you wanted to jump off the roof onto the trampoline the manufacturer did nothing to stop you).

You know your kids and you know if they can play on a trampoline. With supervision they'll be fine, without supervision they (and you) may learn something the hard way.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM

263 posts, read 743,403 times
we have had a trampoline in the backyard for 25 years. wore it out and replaced it once. 5 kids, all grown with no injuries. none of the neighbor kids hurt either. we always knew where they were.
we had few rules. one at a time unless a parent was standing right there. no more than 2 kids of the same size.
funniest thing ever is watching our oldest, who is 6 foot 5, pull up the landing gear and do a front flip.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I broke my wrist changing a tire.

Obviously, I shouldn't have bought tires.
Yeah, but I bet you never fell off your tires onto your back either! I've seen that happen too on a trampoline. No thanks.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My cousin broke her leg riding a horse when it fell on her, you hear of kids falling out of trees and spraining an ankle. We used to swing from ropes in the woods over a big drop, and people can drown in backyard pools. Kids will try to do tricks on bikes like riding with no hands and they can fall.

I don't think it's right to have kids sit inside reading a book or playing video games all day and raising them to be too afraid to do anything. All the fun stuff has some risk in it. Go-karts, dirt bikes, bicycles, horses -- but what is childhood without them?
No one is saying that because you don't let your kids have a trampoline that they have to stay inside all of the time and be afraid. That is a pretty big leap in logic. I'm just saying that I've seen some nasty things happen on trampolines, including my daughter breaking her wrist, and I don't want my kids on them.

My kids ride horses, play outside on swingsets, have a 4ft pool in their yard, and ride bikes. We take all precautions with those things too. But there is a reason a lot of people don't like trampolines. The risk of injury is too high compared to the benefit, at least to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting