Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,563,789 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was sure where else to post this. My 7 and 3 year old really want a trampoline. I always told myself I wouldn't get one because of the danger but being that my hubby got laid off and we can't afford camp this summer, I was thinking of getting them one. I found this one on TRU's website that comes with the enclosure and it got some really good reviews. Do any of you have one? Are they dangerous even with the enclosure? My kids use my nephew's and love it...I think they'll be outside all day! Do you think this is a good one??

Spartan Sports 14' Trampoline and Enclosure Combo - Toys "R" Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,897,432 times
I didn't click the link, but we are planning on getting one in a couple months when we move. We have an almost 3 and almost 7 year old. They love going on the neighbors. The neighbors have a 15 y.o. girl, and then 11, 8, and 5 y.o. boys. They use it all the time, as well as with their friends with great sucess. We plan on getting the spring cover (which my sister says is crucial) and the net. Really, our boys have so much energy and try to jump on the beds and couch constantly... A doctor we knew had her 2 year old break his leg from jumping off the couch, sooooo... what is the difference?

But I have the mentality that kids are going to get hurt no matter what, a parent can only try to minimize it. I have seen my boys plot some scary stuff when they have too much energy pent up, so I see a trampoline as a positive.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,783,864 times
You should probably check your homeowners insurance policy... may be a no-no.

Also, be prepared to have many of the neighborhood kids wanting to use it... every day... every hour. My sister went through that, and after 2 months, got rid of it.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM

303 posts, read 977,788 times
My grown kids pitched in and bought one for me. It too has the enclosure around it. We have had ours for 5 years now and still getting good use out of it. The grand kids love it. My 23 month old grandson gets in by himself now, but of course I keep an eye on him if I am not in with him. As far as having neighborhood kids, we just don't allow it and blame it on the insurance rules. We use ours only for family use and very few of our older grandsons friends when he comes over. It was a good investment and will provide years of service with little maintenance. Do make sure it has the safety net.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
without trained supervision very dangerous. it is not a toy.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,117,166 times
I say get it but I don't like the one you linked to. That one has cheap columns.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,736,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
but being that my hubby got laid off and we can't afford camp this summer, I was thinking of getting them one.

I know you asked this question in the parenting forum but you left me speechless. Your husband just got laid off and you want to spend $300 on a toy. Haven't you heard that it takes months now to get another job?. Take your kids to the park, set the sprinklers in the back yard, etc..

Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 AM

303 posts, read 977,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
without trained supervision very dangerous. it is not a toy.
Trained? I didn't know one had to be trained?

It is only dangerous if the responsible adult does not properly instruct the children on how to properly use it and explain the rules while on the surface.

There are several videos on You Tube on "how to jump on a trampoline" if one needs to be trained on how to "train".

Riding a bike can be dangerous too.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,224,556 times
Our family got a trampoline when I was a kid. It was a full size adult trampoline. It was, actually still is a great toy. I love to get on it and bounce.

Yes you can have injuries so you need to take it seriously. But that is not a reason not to have it.

The basic rules are
1. Dont jump off it. Climb down or you will damage knees, legs, back etc.
2. Inexperienced kids should only be on on their own.
The danger you can have if you have a experienced kid and a inexperienced kid then the inexperienced kid can get bounced off.
3. Keep the video camera handy so you can post the accidents on youtube

Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 AM

467 posts, read 981,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Hello,

I was sure where else to post this. My 7 and 3 year old really want a trampoline. I always told myself I wouldn't get one because of the danger but being that my hubby got laid off and we can't afford camp this summer, I was thinking of getting them one. I found this one on TRU's website that comes with the enclosure and it got some really good reviews. Do any of you have one? Are they dangerous even with the enclosure? My kids use my nephew's and love it...I think they'll be outside all day! Do you think this is a good one??

Spartan Sports 14' Trampoline and Enclosure Combo - Toys "R" Us
I think its a great idea for exercise and being outside. Anything can be dangerous if ya think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting