U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,432,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
it is time when you are ready to make the life long committment and you and your husband have decided you can afford it and ready to have one
And if you are not sure get a dog...if you can't handle a dog then you're not ready for a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM

3,042 posts, read 6,040,011 times
amen my irish sister amen

Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM

17,601 posts, read 24,981,267 times
Oh my gosh, we have 3 kids and had a dog for 2 weeks ... I couldn't handle the dog. Babies, I can totally handle. They go in diapers, they don't jump and nip at you ... I remember the breeder telling me that the puppy was like a baby. I laughed, hung up and then called back a day later and told her to please take her baby back. She did without hesitation.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh my gosh, we have 3 kids and had a dog for 2 weeks ... I couldn't handle the dog. Babies, I can totally handle. They go in diapers, they don't jump and nip at you ... I remember the breeder telling me that the puppy was like a baby. I laughed, hung up and then called back a day later and told her to please take her baby back. She did without hesitation.
I meant the change in having to care for something that needy. Like you have to go home after work to feed and walk the dog...you can't just run out to dinner with out thinking about the dog...you can't just go away for a night or two without getting someone to sit for the dog and you have to take it to the vet....

You are totally cracking me up with the nipping and diaper thing though...LOL Also most reputable breeders (and us Rescue groups!) are committed to their pups and will gladly take them back no matter how long you've had them...just a good tip to look for if and when you decide to try a furry baby again.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 PM

1,667 posts, read 2,007,370 times
31 is fine.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:57 PM

17,601 posts, read 24,981,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I meant the change in having to care for something that needy. Like you have to go home after work to feed and walk the dog...you can't just run out to dinner with out thinking about the dog...you can't just go away for a night or two without getting someone to sit for the dog and you have to take it to the vet....

You are totally cracking me up with the nipping and diaper thing though...LOL Also most reputable breeders (and us Rescue groups!) are committed to their pups and will gladly take them back no matter how long you've had them...just a good tip to look for if and when you decide to try a furry baby again.
LOL ... your first paragraph is right. I have to tell you, this puppy was nearly the death of me. And it wasn't the puppy's fault, it was totally ours. I cried for days before I could even talk about it to friends. Then we got a kitten and I told everyone that the dog turned into a cat.

As for age and having babies, I had my kids at 31, 32 & 37.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
LOL ... your first paragraph is right. I have to tell you, this puppy was nearly the death of me. And it wasn't the puppy's fault, it was totally ours. I cried for days before I could even talk about it to friends. Then we got a kitten and I told everyone that the dog turned into a cat.

As for age and having babies, I had my kids at 31, 32 & 37.
Well I'm glad you found a less stressful way to add a fur baby to your house. But I know what you mean with the dog almost killing you...When my oldest was 15 months old our terrier who obviously thought he was HER younger brother was so bothered by him she nipped him a couple of times...he of course was unphased and just wanted to get her more. So I thought I'll get a lab and he can play with her and leave the other dog alone....MY GOSH!!! Labs are crazy puppies for sure...and we lived in a small townhouse that just kept getting smaller as this dog grew to 100 lbs! I did keep her and she's my 10 year old baby now...but believe me there were times I almost cried because I kept her. She however was not only my first son's favorite toy, but my second son's as well.

I had my kids at 30 (almost 31) and 36....perfect for me.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 1,540 times
Probably the best compromise is to have your baby when 30yo, but assume you'll resume returning to work part time a couple of days from when the baby is 3-6 months old and full time when your baby is 6-9months old.Pumping to keep up supply and store for feeds is now quite common place in many work places. Prompt return to work is the best way for women to remain relevant in their paid employed careers.
32 yo is getting too dicey to be starting. Just remember that IVF and such are very costly.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM

5,378 posts, read 11,865,819 times
31 is OK, I had my first child at 34 and the second at 37. However, I should mention that even though I had the first child at 34, we tried for 2 years before I got pregnant and I had to take an infertility pill for both pregnancies because of bad ovulation. There is no predicting any of this stuff as everyone's body is different... but you have to be prepared that it COULD (though likely NOT) happen.

However if I had it to do all over again, I would start younger.

We found babies actually are fairly inexpensive (except for the childcare expense) - it is when they get to school age that kids are expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting