Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM

326 posts, read 1,299,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a dad and it IS NOT your husband....My son was the same way....but he grew out of it pretty fast...and now he is a dad and when Mom is around the kid only wants Mom...
Thanks for your response. That is exactly how my hubby was feeling like it was his fault. I reassured him yesterday that it's a phase and he'll grow out of it. I think he felt a little better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,701,875 times
I wouldn't worry about that too much, he'll snap out of it eventually. There are some times that you just have to deal with a minute or two of crying. My little boy used to (and still does sometimes) cry like mad when he gets his diaper changed for no apparent reason. It was even worse if I tried to change his shirt. Complete hysterics. As soon as the change was done and he was picked up off the table, it was like a switch was flipped. Just had to get through sixty seconds of heartwrenching crying, then we were back to happy baby.

Remember, a little crying never killed anyone. Your life will be a lot easier if baby is adjusting to your life more than you are adjusting to his (or hers).

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,701,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I agree that it's totally normal. It seems like whenever my daughter goes through a developmental leap or growth spurt she becomes clingier then usual and only wants mommy. There's a lot going on at 6 months. Very normal stage, it'll pass for sure.

The only suggestion I have for getting things done around the house is to wear him in a sling or Bjorn type of carrier while you do chores or cook if he's insisting on being held. It helped us out a ton.
Oh man! We got the ergobaby (If you have a big husband and a big baby, its the one you want) and it has been one of our best parenting investments. If he's obviously tired, rubbing his eyes and yawning but fighting sleep, I put him in the pouch and just walk around doing my thing for a few minutes. Knocks him out everytime.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,808,908 times
My middle daughter did the same thing until she was about 3 or 4 years old. It really used to get to my husband, thinking he did something wrong. It was bad too. She used to cling to me and scream if he even tried to touch her. It made it very tough for me to go to work and leave her with her dad. I just had to go and let her work it out for herself. We gave her lots of reassurance and I would call her from work to let her hear my voice but otherwise she just had to adjust.

But now that my daughter is 9, she gives us both equal amounts of attention. I've asked her about that time and if she remembers wanting only me around and she says she doesn't but she thinks it's very funny she did that.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
My middle daughter did the same thing until she was about 3 or 4 years old. It really used to get to my husband, thinking he did something wrong. It was bad too. She used to cling to me and scream if he even tried to touch her. It made it very tough for me to go to work and leave her with her dad. I just had to go and let her work it out for herself. We gave her lots of reassurance and I would call her from work to let her hear my voice but otherwise she just had to adjust.

But now that my daughter is 9, she gives us both equal amounts of attention. I've asked her about that time and if she remembers wanting only me around and she says she doesn't but she thinks it's very funny she did that.
That's exactly how he is acting... sometimes he can't even go near him without him crying. I know it really gets to him...

Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,808,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
That's exactly how he is acting... sometimes he can't even go near him without him crying. I know it really gets to him...
He will get through it. It's just really hard to hear. It used to break my heart to leave my daughter so upset like that, with her screaming for me. But since my daughter doesn't even remember all her carrying on, I bet your son won't either

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,202,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Thanks for your response. That is exactly how my hubby was feeling like it was his fault. I reassured him yesterday that it's a phase and he'll grow out of it. I think he felt a little better...
Gotta remember that Mom carried the kid for nine months and I think they know that...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

266 posts, read 865,019 times
This is one of the many normal phases that a baby shall go through. The best you can do is make sure your hubby doesnt get too discouraged and give up trying to do things for your child. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works 24hr shifts and sometimes doesn't come home for 60 hours! needless to say my 13 month old baby is a mamas boy. Even now he wont let my hubby feed him at times. As someone else mentioned a baby stays in the mama's belly for 9 months. That sure is a lot of bonding time that daddy doesnt get to experience. My sons doctor also told me when my baby turns about 2 that i shouldnt be surprised if he wants daddy and not me. So we shall see.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Hello everybody... just an update.
A couple of days ago my son's phase passed! He is now loving his daddy... my DF couldn't be happier!
Thanks to everybody for your reassurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting