Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 AM

261 posts, read 1,513,566 times

Advertisements

My wife is due in August with our second child. Her doctor asked her if she wants to save the cord blood. The doctor told her that cord blood has been known to have treated/cured various illnesses within family members (especially siblings). I believe the one time cost is in the few thousands and there is a annual storage few that is around $200.

Has anyone done this and was it beneficial?\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,701,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
My wife is due in August with our second child. Her doctor asked her if she wants to save the cord blood. The doctor told her that cord blood has been known to have treated/cured various illnesses within family members (especially siblings). I believe the one time cost is in the few thousands and there is a annual storage few that is around $200.

Has anyone done this and was it beneficial?\
You're better off just donating the cord blood. Private cord blood banking is a scam that preys on the highly emotional state and "guardian" mentality of new parents and parents-to-be.

If you donate the cord blood it will be put to its highest and best use.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You're better off just donating the cord blood. Private cord blood banking is a scam that preys on the highly emotional state and "guardian" mentality of new parents and parents-to-be.

If you donate the cord blood it will be put to its highest and best use.

Just my opinion.
Yep, I totally agree. Donate it to a public bank. It will be free to do and will help anyone who needs it who is a match. And if your child happens to need it down the road, there is a good chance it will still be available for you to use for free. (Unless you have a history of blood disorders in your family, in which case it might be worth it for you to privately bank it)

My hospital only does the collections if you deliver between 7am and 7pm Monday through Friday. My first was born on a Friday morning and we donated. My second was born on a Saturday night, so we couldn't.

Donate Umbilical Cord Blood. Give Birth to Hope. -- Be The Match Registry

Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM

275 posts, read 706,354 times
I am also due in August and would love to bank my son's cord blood... but it is sooooo expensive. I'm donating mine so hopefully someone who needs it will be able to use it, and vice versa, if *god forbid* something would be wrong with my son, I would look to centers with donated cord blood for help.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,737,036 times
We donated too.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,309,552 times
After my first child, I was really going out for the best experience for my second birth ever. I read a lot about cord blood and did a lot of talking with doctors and even midwives. This is the conclusion we finally came to. With all the benefits in the cord blood, why do we clamp the cord in the first place? It's not natural to begin with and all those benefits pulse right into the baby, and the baby's body regulates how much blood it got. There is no research out there to tell us if they did not clamp the cord, if those benefits would help to PREVENT problems in that child's future. Not only that, it ends those so called problems of low blood sugar and low blood pressure at birth because there is no way for the doctor to actually measure how much blood your child gets.

Our doctor clamped out of eye sight of me with my second by positioning baby in the way and having a nurse stand in the way of DH (he held the camera out over them and we saw the pics later) but the third one was not clamped. It turned out he had problems and not being clamped was extra benefial for him. Not only that, that kid was talking his first steps at four months. You'd stand that kid up and off he'd try to run, falling after two or three steps but trying none the less. Never saw a kid with so much energy after birth. It sure made breast feeding all that much easier. He wasn't lathargic like my first two.

Anyway, I get creeped out when doctors try to do things that are unnatural when there are no known benefits and especially when ACOG, the ones who tell birthing doctors what to do, even state that they do not recommend it as is with cord clamping.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Smile Cordblood

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have been working for a cordblood company for a while now. I don't want to push my cordblood bank on anyone. I simply wish to discuss issues related to cordblood and be of assistance answering questions related to cordblood. Congratulations rob to you and your wife. I truly believe in the value of saving cordblood. It is a difficult and costly decision however there are many options and I think that the best advice is to get educated and learn more about cordblood. Unfortunately enough people don't know about the invaluable nature of cordblood. I personally believe that if someone has the ability to insure that his or her child will have a safety net g-d forbit he/she will contract a life-threatening disease then there is no way he can walk away from that. Though there is a price, I feel that the value of life outweighs it all. Additionally, there are many banking options and differing price ranges. It is best to contact the banks and find the one that you feel most comfortable with. Good luck to you!!
Erin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting