Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

My son (4) has recently showcased the ability to pick baseball cards out of his new collection and match the team(s) to the teams playing on TV. I will be watching a game, he will go to his room and bring me back a baseball card and say "Look, he's on the same team that's playing" He has even been able to match an actual player from the TV to a card he has, without any help.

I thought this might be exceptional and just want to know if it is or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
It could be. I had a friend whose two year old could name all of the US Presidents in order. She wasn't a prodigy or anything; she just had memorized a song about them, and learned to match them to a placemat that they had with all of the presidential faces on it.

At four, my son would talk at length about volcanoes: where they were in the world, what types there were, what shapes the lava could dry in, etc. I think they tend to get stuck on one thing and learn everything about it. Right now my son is 8, and talks absolutely nonstop about Star Wars. He has a Star Wars encyclopedia that he looks up information in all the time so that he can wow us with his Star Wars knowledge. I tell you this not to say that my 8 year old is exceptional, but to warn you that you too, one day, may be bombarded with little trivia facts on a topic that you never knew that you wanted to know about! LOL!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My son (4) has recently showcased the ability to pick baseball cards out of his new collection and match the team(s) to the teams playing on TV. I will be watching a game, he will go to his room and bring me back a baseball card and say "Look, he's on the same team that's playing" He has even been able to match an actual player from the TV to a card he has, without any help.

It's amazing how much a young child can learn about something they find passion for, however unless it's across the board on all kinds of subjects, I wouldn't consider it exceptional just yet.

My son would first amaze me, then drive me batty telling me which car was older or newer based on the rear light designs....and that was before he was 3. I simply don't pay attention to that kind of detail, nor do I really have passion for that subject, so it was a trying phase for me. haha How he knew those things I am not sure, but he sure did.

That was just the beginning......just wait.

We did find he was indeed gifted and this 'phase' has continued into every aspect of his young life. So, keep watching and helping him learn however he needs and you will continue to be amazed!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:

It's obviously a good thing that he's interested in something, but I wouldn't call it exceptional.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
As others have said, maybe maybe not. But I will take this opportunity to say ALL our children are "exceptional" whether or not they are "gifted" academically....During my kids elementary school years I saw many parents stressing and straining to prove their kids were "gifted" as if that made them somehow better. Many of these kids were bright, and one or two I would consider truly "gifted" but I always felt bad for those kids whose parents were so wrapped up in it as if it defined their parental ability or great genes or whatever. How must the child then feel if it turned out they weren't "gifted"? Enjoy the little quirks of childhood. Keep a journal of these special moments so you can look back later and enjoy the memories. Those are what are exceptional....

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:

This sounds about right. He has mastered recognizing symbols, numbers and faces from pictures and matching them to what he sees on TV. I think many 4 year olds can do this. It is amazing what kids learn on their own isn't it?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
I'm not a development expert so I won't comment on whether its exceptional or not.

Last night, our almost 2-yr old brought me a JayJay the Jet Plane book. I sat down to read it to him and he got upset with me. Confused, I asked him what he wanted (b/c it seemed to me he wanted me to read him the book). He led me into the "playroom" and pointed at the tv. I got out our JayJay the Jet Plane VHS tape (which he saw maybe a couple of mos ago) and he smiled and turned on the tv.

I thought that was funny and interesting. I was not as impressed as my husband was, but I spend all day with him so I am used to his many adaptations to communicate.

My husband and I have this running joke - "he's a genius" - we say it when one of our kids surprises us with something like that. Its based on this one stay-at-home Dad we ran into A LOT when we lived on an overseas base. He was absolutely enamored of his 2 yr old son. This kid led him around by the nose, whatever he wanted to do. He was watching his kid play one time and was gushing about how wonderful he was and all of his accomplishments and remarked "he's a genius!". So now that's our running joke when one of our kids does something funny or new, possibly a next step forward in his development.

Not to berate this guy - he really did love his son and that is better than the other extreme of course, but I don't think his son was a genius. Just a normal, well-developed, happy 2 year old.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

My 3 1/2 yr old knows the exact path to travel back home from his grandparents (which is 25 miles away) to include saying "right" and "left" at the appropriate time. He knows 1-50 and the alphabet. He can properly tie his shoes. He knows all the characters in Star Wars (thanks to his df). Do I think he is exceptional? No. It's age appropriate.

This is the age that the game "Memory" is suggested to be started with children to improve on or encourage mental cognition. Try playing that game with your child right now...you'll be amazed! You can even make up your own form to make it harder/easier.

At this age in particular, they have the incredible ability to have a close to a photographic memory and absorb things like sponges.

It is why you hear over and over and over to spend time reading to your children and teaching them rudimentary basics and to limit tv to minimal.

Ironicially, my son wants nothing to do with writing his name or coloring/arts & crafts.

I heard at one time that children learn up to 50% of their life skills by the time they are 5.

If anything, just enjoy this time for the pure joy that it is b/c they are so quickly learning & what they say/do at times is jaw-dropping I think it is one of the best joys of parenting!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
I am betting you like baseball. Your son sees your intrest and wants to share it with your. While it might not be on the genius level, it is his way of relating into your world. His interest in the sport may continue to develop with your influence and time. Who knows, he may grow up to be a great pitcher!!!! Not necessarily by any born in skill, but the love of the game he develops at his father's knee and the great afternoons playing catch in the backyard.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Not so exceptional (sorry). He is matching the logo of the teams playing (or the faces of the players) to the logos (or faces) on his cards.. much like the game "Memory"..? If he were also spouting off stats, history, and other facts about the actual team or the player, I would be more incline to say he was exceptional. At 4-5, my son could tell you the names of the teams for all of the NFL logos (because he father is a football nut)....and even tell you the "old" logos, too (thanks to an old blanket we had with older logos on it!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting