Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM

106 posts, read 381,485 times

Advertisements

Thanks Crazyma...that was a very hard thing for me to do last night...and the "puppy dog" looks just before didn't make it any easier

Fortunately, this morning has been much better for everyone and the boys have been FAR better behaved. Just got back from another trip to Wal-Mart to get the littlest his reward as promised (he woke up ready to go...must have dreamed about it!). The whole family went and everyone stayed together without having to be told. My little bro and older son weren't thrilled with the 4yo being the only one to have his pick of the toy isle (within reason of course), but we reminded them about yesterday's events and that stopped the brief protest.

Pizza Hut following the Wal-Mart run was fun for everybody, but orderly...complete with "please" and "thank you"s...is it a miracle?? They may have been laying it on in hopes of a "time served" decree with regard to the bikes, but if so, no luck...

The 4yo has been buzzing his new remote truck all over the yard and the bikes are locked up in the garage...which is especially tough because in our subdivision, kids are all over the place with bikes...and they're on foot. They asked about the bikes again when we got home and I gave them a more stern "no", which finally made my son tear up in frustration...no sassing though!

I'll have to admit, I do feel a little sorry for them. They love those bikes sooo much and two days watching the other kids ride around seems awfully rough...but, I know I shouldn't back down in the middle of the "sentence"...they do have swings (actually it's kind of a mini playground)and PLENTY of other toys to keep them occupied if they want to stop pouting and improvise....I guess they'll live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,264,868 times
I'm glad that you're haveing a better day today. I am not surprised though. Kids like structure. They may not like being told where their boundries are, but they feel secure in knowing they are there. This is why they're behaving "better". They know you love them enough to keep them safe. That kind of security builds confidence. Expect more "revolts". But if you hold your ground, those revolts will not be as traumatic for the boys.... or yourself.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,263,754 times
Good for you. You did well to hold your ground. That is important. Now they know that when you set a rule, you mean it.

Congratulations, Dad!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:15 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys...and sorry if I offended anyone with my activist/sicko disclaimer...
Sicko??????? excuse the hell out of me. Because someone decides not to breed like a rabbit they are labeled "sicko" by YOU? You, the man (term used loosely) who cannot even make a CHILD obey?

bwahahahahahahaha give me a break.

20yrsinBranson
"sicko" by CHOICE lol

Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM

OF COURSE I didn't mean everyone without kids is a sicko...jeeze! I was trying to keep pervs out of this thread if you want me to be frank about it!

You really need to chill out Little Ms. Branson!!...go see Shoji Tabuchi or something and get over yourself.

And, "no" in advance of your obvious reaction...I don't think everyone without kids is a perv either. You are either far too sensitive or just like to inject hostility into random threads...by the volume of your posts and the fact that you are in a parenting forum, i'll bet it's the latter. I'm not feeding your silliness anymore...thanks sooo much for your "contribution".

-jbar

Last edited by jbar; 07-11-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,888,478 times
jbar,
Here is a bit more advice (though you are doing a pretty good job on your own). When my kids were younger and did something like that I would put on a show of saying something like "I am so surprised that you didn't listen to me and wandered off like that. That is soooooo unlike you because you are usually so well-behaved" Then I would dole out whatever punishment we had decided upon for the transgression. I would follow it with step 3 which went something like "I am sure you won't ever choose to do something like that again because you are typically such a good listener"

You want them to get the message loud and clear that thier misbehavior was a total anomaly and they are really well-behaved kids that you trust. If they think that is what you expect of them, you are more likely to see more of it.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM

That's a very good suggestion, pinetree...thanks! I'll definitely inject that into our next bike conversation.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:05 PM

3,731 posts, read 12,349,293 times
Default Got one more suggestion for you

If taking something away doesn't make the proper impression, additional chores always worked around our house when one (or both) of the kids decided to get "uppity". Pulling weeds, cleaning the garage, washing the car, washing the dog - these were some of my favorites. The main thing as far as I'm concerned is that it impresses that there are reprocussions to bad acts. Always worked well for us

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-11-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting