Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 11:55 AM

106 posts, read 383,342 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the "typical" age for baby teeth to come out?

Our 7yo son still has all of his baby teeth...there's actually not even a loose one yet. Is that normal? I seem to remember losing some of mine (or was in the process) of losing some by that age.

I have an 8 yo stepbrother who actually already has two "grown up teeth" moving in; a recently "vacated" space that is awaiting one; and a loosy-goosy that could come out right now if he'd hold still and let my dad pluck it

A dental check-up for our son is on the calendar, but in the meantime...any similar experiences?...If the 8 yo's any comparison, he's way behind and that's a little concerning. I hope he doesn't have to go through having them pulled...I had some stubborn babies that had to come out that way when I was 10 and it wasn't pleasant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Actually, the longer your child has his baby teeth the better. Was he later in his baby teeth growing in? My oldest was in second grade before he lost any teeth at all. I was so happy that the tooth fair gave him a 20 dollar bill.... he'd waited soooo patiently for his teeth to fall out. His spring school pictures were great!!!!! all four front teeth missing. My little snaggle tooth is now 15.... thank you for bringing back a memory!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 PM

His mama and I didn't start dating til he was about 4, so I wasn't here for that phase..but, she tells me he was "teething" from probably around 8 mos (+/-) to about 2yrs...not sure how late that is. His little brother had a mouth full at 18 mos...I do remember that

The schedule with your son makes us feel better though...he's going into second grade next month. So, maybe we're more on track than we thought.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
It can vary in age from child to child. My daughter, who is 6 now, lost her first tooth at 5. My sons lost their first teeth closer to 7.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
my son didn't have his first tooth until he was cruisin' the furniture. (7-8 months). I talked to his ped about it, he told me the longer it takes to come in, the longer it will take to fall out. That is a good thing because it gives the teeth a chance to be stronger (with proper nutrition) and grow deeper roots. Son didn't loose his last baby tooth until he was 13.

His dentist says his teeth are good and strong (he's never had a cavity). He did need orthodontics, but that is due to genetics..... his father and I have the same crowding that he did beofre he had braces. But there again, he only wore brackets (the brace thingies) on his front 6 teeth for six months.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Thanks guys...I had no idea it varied so much. The fact that my little stepbrother was underway with loose teeth earlier than this was my main source for concern...just really hope he doesn't have to do the extraction thing. Sounds like we have nothing to be concerned about at this point though. You know how it is with the oldest...everything's new and an opportunity for concern

Speaking of my little brother...he is staying with us for a few nights and that "loosy goosy" tooth I mentioned earlier came out in an apple this afternoon....I thought, "wow, what a coincidence!"

He came inside with a kind of "I don't want to talk about it" look on his face and piled up on the couch. He doesn't like the whole baby tooth thing (i've heard my dad talk about that fact)...for some reason, it freaks him out

When I got him to tell me what was wrong, he showed me his tooth and we got him giggling about it pretty quickly...the little thing had NO root at all and it barely bled any....guess we'll get to serve as substitute tooth fairy tonight....$5 still a good number...or has it climbed to $10?

This has been quite a weekend...hahaha...makes me wonder what is in store for church tomorrow

Last edited by jbar; 07-11-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 AM

We split the difference and gave him $7. He revealed he usually got $5 and I told him the tooth fairy probably adjusted for the slightly pricier toy market in this area, not realizing he was going home today... hehehe.... never too young for a little economics

Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
My daughter started losing her baby teeth at about age five, one at a time. My son was later to get his, and later to start losing them. He didn't lose a single one until age seven, and now he has lost four all at once! All in the front, of course.

I told him he is now a gummy bear, and can only eat mashed bananas and pureed spinach. I got the "Oh, Dad" look from him at that.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Girls lose their teeth sooner than boys do - strange, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting