Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 PM

314 posts, read 933,279 times

Advertisements

My DH and I are giving our 6 year old a "summer sleepover," any suggestions for fun activities for 5 active boys? The second day we will take a trip to the movies but aside from that we are racking our brains for things for them to do and keep them active. Plus I dont want them sitting and playing video games all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM

496 posts, read 1,689,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
My DH and I are giving our 6 year old a "summer sleepover," any suggestions for fun activities for 5 active boys? The second day we will take a trip to the movies but aside from that we are racking our brains for things for them to do and keep them active. Plus I dont want them sitting and playing video games all day.
Scavenger Hunt perhaps? You can go just go outside and play baseball, soccer, frisbee, etc. I think you just have to get creative. Especially when it comes to boys.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM

458 posts, read 1,350,636 times
I did this for my youngest daughter and she and her friends loved it. I did a fear factor theme. We did all kinds of gross stuff and had competitions. It was great fun and so easy and fun to prepare. Maybe something like this for the boys? They would have a blast. If you need ideas I am happy to help.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

496 posts, read 1,689,453 times
Wow that sounds like it was a blast!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,581,805 times
I'd do as much outdoors as you can. That takes less 'policing' of activities, and believe me with five 6 yr olds you will do alot of that in close spaces. You will also benefit from having numerous things available for them to do for choices instead of trying to have them all do the same thing at the same time for the entire stay.

Outdoors:
Water play - Slip n slide, water guns, small pool, bubbles galore
Sports - depending on size of your yard...baseball/kickball, basketball obstacle course
Simple games - tag, hide n seek
Nature - collect things for a collage, dig in the dirt, play in sand

Indoors:
Floor play - legos, kinex, geo trax, trains
Table play - board games, card games, magic tricks
Art - playdoh (homemade is really fun), markers, watercolors
Crafts - shrinky dinks, ceramic painting, suncatchers
Food - make pizza, sandwiches, ice cream sundaes, rice krispie treats
Dress up - men's jackets, ties, shoes, hats

If you want to plan around a theme, you can tailor many things to it. For instance if you chose baseball, you can make rice krispie treats in circle shapes and use red and blue icing to make the lines on the balls. There are numerous baseball color pages available that you can print and they can color with markers or paint with watercolors. They can dress up in jerseys and caps. You can buy some trading cards and they can be given as prizes for completing the obstacle course, a board game, knocking something over with water guns, building something with the legos that relates to baseball...and so on.

It just takes a little imagination. I have a 6 yr old son who plays ball....so baseball comes easily to mind, in case you were wondering. haha

Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 PM

106 posts, read 381,347 times
Can never go wrong with water in the summer...slip-n-slide, sprinklers, super soakers, etc...they can't get enough of it. Just don't forget the sunblock.

In the house at night, mine like to build elaborate "forts" using chairs, sheets, pillows, etc. when they have company. They crawl in there and it's an absolute maze! The house will be a sight, but it's fun for them.

I know your dilemma...it's tough to keep them occupied...seems to require an almost constant rotation of activities, but they can usually come up with some pretty imaginative play to fill in the blanks when they need to....trust me, there will be very little stationary time...have fun

Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM

204 posts, read 663,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
You and your DH are brave people! 5 active six year olds boys! I have an active seven year old boy but haven't had a sleepover for him yet, so I don't have any suggesitons. But let us know how it went!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:45 PM

314 posts, read 933,279 times
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, yes KathyR we are very brave. I just want to make sure they are well entertained that is why I enlisted my dear CD friends to help me with ideas. I wrote all of them down and we will be going shopping for the necessary items. Thanks for all the good ideas, I could have never thought of these on my own!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,911,047 times
All access Nerf gun Capture the Flag wars! Inside, outside.... just set the rule that if a boy gets hit, he has to count to 50 after returning to his home fort. Boys learn quickly that nerf darts don't hurt, so there needs to be a consequence to getting hit.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,988,034 times
Our boys have always loved having camp-outs in the backyard. We pitch the tent and set it up just like we do when we camp. You can buy a patio fire pit to roast marshmallows over, it's fun! During the day - everyone here had really great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting