Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,643,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Yeah - I think you either "pay" up front, or down the road, in terms of dealing with challenging behavior. Some of that is up to the parenting, some is up to the child.

That is so funny that you say that! I remember talking with my mom on the phone when my kids were in their 2's to 4's and saying "Please let it be that they are getting it all out now, and will be great teenagers"! I was very easy going and shy as a little kid, then became a teenager and it was a completely different story!!

I do think kids hang on to certain personality traits, but also learn to control some of them, too. Both of my kids were very strong willed as toddlers, which was very hard to deal with at the time, but now as they are older (10&12), I have found this quality to be a good thing - - - most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
I thnik it depends if the child is displend for bad temper. Everyhtig is a learnign process and soe never get displend therefore why expect te3hm to disp[lend themselves lter ;no matter what the behivior.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,242,392 times
I don't think they actually "cahnge" so much, its just that their needs are different, you can actually catch your breath for awhile, any toddler is an intense experience.

When they reach the age where they don't need their every need attended to, you can step back and see the big picture, and its not so bad!

Used to be, I'd have to wake them change them, prepare breakfast and feed them, change them again, dress them, change them again, carry them to the car, strap them in, tote them in to day care---now all I do is knock on the door, by then they're usually awake, all I do is drive them to school, they do really reach an age where they're not so intense.

The years really do go by quick, don't wish them away!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 AM

26,636 posts, read 26,559,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
One of my cousins was the most ill-behaved, overbearing, screamy child I have ever encountered. She would hold her breath, stomp her feet, scream, cry and yell at her parents with little provocation.
But that's not a personality trait, which is a long-enduring aspect of one's temperament. (That sounds more like a parenting problem.) I do think that their temperament stays the same. How you handle it may have an effect but one's basic "approach to the world" from young childhood remains fairly consistent throughout one's life.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,407,013 times
I think the temperament stays the same but manifests itself differently over time as maturity is developed.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,433,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
My wife & I have a 2 and a half year old daughter. She's a great kid but her personality is "intense", for lack of a better word. She gets very upset when things don't go her way or she doesn't get what she wants. I don't think it's really anything all that unusual, especially being that she is in the middle of her terrible twos. But she's always been very emotional, even going back to when she was an infant with lots of crying, colic-y, etc.
I would encourage you to take a good look at your and your wife's personalities and attitudes Try to be as objective as possible and also consider the past. Can you think of any similarities? Can you find similarities between the little girl and your parents for example?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,499,014 times
Well my daugher, as a baby and toddler, used to cry and cry herself to sleep when she was very tired. Now at 15 - if she is very tired, she is the grumpiest person ever.....moaning and groaning and stropping around. So she never did like being tired and that hasn't changed. I think personality is one thing....but nurture is the most important. We are all 'prone' to certain behaviours - they are part of 'us' but a lot of our personality development - has to do with how we are treated, taught etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting