Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,139,584 times

Advertisements

We have 14 mo. old twin boys, and now that I'm unemployed, I'm home with them all day. For the most part, they're fun and I enjoy it. But there are a couple top drawers we don't have locked in the kitchen and a few other things, like the surround sound/tv equipment that they can get to, and they get into these things they're not supposed to constantly!

So what do you do? They know they're not supposed to touch the tv controls, but a swat on the behind or time out doesn't work. They go back and do it again. Is this something that just takes time for them to learn? That certain things are off limits? Should I just keep telling them "no", removing them from the situation, and let time work this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,534,614 times
If you realistically expect 14 month old to not get into things, you are in need of a reality check. If you don't want to drive yourself insane, remove the things from those drawers (baby proofing) and let them explore. When they find nothing in the drawers, it will end. Kids are curious and will get into things. IMO I really don't think that is a reason for punishment.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,139,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
If you realistically expect 14 month old to not get into things, you are in need of a reality check. If you don't want to drive yourself insane, remove the things from those drawers (baby proofing) and let them explore. When they find nothing in the drawers, it will end. Kids are curious and will get into things. IMO I really don't think that is a reason for punishment.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The house is quite "baby proofed", and they can't get at anything that could hurt them. I was just talking to a neighbor who has a 3 year old, and she said somewhere around age 2, her son started figuring out that there were consequences to his actions and stopped getting into everything.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The house is quite "baby proofed", and they can't get at anything that could hurt them. I was just talking to a neighbor who has a 3 year old, and she said somewhere around age 2, her son started figuring out that there were consequences to his actions and stopped getting into everything.

My kids still get into everything...so everything that is with in there reach is fine for them to get into... I don't have the energy or time to follow everyone around and yell/punish for a natural action. If they want to explore,,,let them...safely.
I would say the best way to get them not to explore your drawers is to redirect their attention or remove the contents of the drawers... Unless you want to drive yourself nuts...or sound like a drill sergeant.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,760,086 times
I have 16 months old twins- it is difficult to keep up with them! What we try to do is re-direct their attention, ie give them a book or toy to play with, or even bring them intoa different room. We also do give light swats on the butt (for attention, not to hurt), and say NO loudly. But yes, those blinky buttons on the TV and DVR keep tempting them I think at this age, there is not much you can do other than to be consistent, they will eventually learn.

BTW, I am not sure time outs are suitable for that age, I don't think toddlers that age would understand. But when they fight with eachother, we do give the "victim" attention and cuddles, and ignore the agressor for a couple of minutes. Usually leads to tears from the agressor, but I think it is a good way for them to learn.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We have 14 mo. old twin boys, and now that I'm unemployed, I'm home with them all day. For the most part, they're fun and I enjoy it. But there are a couple top drawers we don't have locked in the kitchen and a few other things, like the surround sound/tv equipment that they can get to, and they get into these things they're not supposed to constantly!

So what do you do? They know they're not supposed to touch the tv controls, but a swat on the behind or time out doesn't work. They go back and do it again. Is this something that just takes time for them to learn? That certain things are off limits? Should I just keep telling them "no", removing them from the situation, and let time work this out?
My 18 month old is a climber & all the doors in our house are closed at all times b/c he will climb up on whatever he can to try to go out a window! My #1 was not, but he was fascinated with drawers. One day I came into the kitchen to find him with a sharp knife trying to change the batteries of Buzz Lightyear.... Learned from there on that all sharp objects or items that he could seriously hurt himself with are high up and the cabinets have locks. I like my pots and pans & he could really get hurt if he wacked himself hard enough or hit someone else.

One thing we have done is have an empty cabinet at their level. It's filled with tupperware, spatulas, random plastic kitchen items.

I have just started with very short (probably 15-30 second) timeouts with #2 He is a little more tempermental & certain things I just am not ok with & he is old enough to somewhat understand b/w right & wrong with the very basics.

What it takes for them to learn? Time and consistency My oldest is 3 1/2 I still have to keep a watchful eye on him, but it's a "different" watch now.

Good luck. Time.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

We put things like pots, pans, tuperware and the like down low in unlocked cabinets...they could crawl into the kitchen open up the unlocked cabinets and it was full of stuff they loved to play with and it was all safe. Just rearrange your stuff. Safe stuff on bottom, not so safe way on top.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,309,552 times
You have a few options.

Timeouts. Could be effective but may take awhile to land it.

Shock. Set up something that is unpleasant but not harmful in that cupboard so the toddler does not want to go in their, or slap the counter to make them jump every time they open the door. Of course where they can not see you. May make them pout and cry, pulling on your emotions and guilty strings.

Make a space for the child. You could make a spot that the kids could call their own. I put in things like measuring cups and lids they could play with. This was their spot with the things that interested them. For us, it was behind a door of our entertainment center in the living room. I could move them to that spot, out from under my feet when cooking. They’d play in their sometimes until they fell asleep. Somehow, all three kids could fit in there.

My kids would not leave the vcr alone at about the same age. I could forever get after them and risk something worse the second I go to the bathroom or teach them how to properly use it. Then the idea was that they could not place in a movie without first asking permission. They no longer played with it every little chance they thought they could get. It was no longer a battle to be won or lost.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM

18,337 posts, read 18,941,366 times
the best thing to do is to put up everything you do not want them to touch or break out of the way. like the others have said kids this age just don't understand nor should you expect them to. you will make yourself crazy trying. neither you or your kids should be stressed.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,309,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the best thing to do is to put up everything you do not want them to touch or break out of the way. like the others have said kids this age just don't understand nor should you expect them to. you will make yourself crazy trying. neither you or your kids should be stressed.
While agree that neither parent or child should be stressed about any learning opportunity, it must be remember that this is the stage in when the most and fastest learning occurs. The child is learning boundries. Now is the time to teach them, even if it's redirecting it to another area, just so that child is no longer in that space.

I never have encouraged parents to have children develop a habit of playing in the kitchen either. It develops a behavior that could futher endanger the child as they grow older. They could get spilled on, tripped on, hurt in many ways, but learning from my own experience where our 7 month old walked up and placed her hands on an old cast iron stove and gained bad burns on them, I strongly suggest safety gates and redirecting the behavior. HER favorite place to place was in the bottom and side pot storage compartment. My mother still takes pride in having cupboards safe for kids to play in regadless of the fact she burned herself as a child and I know at least I did. We've got matching scars.

(PS. I was at work and our roommate thought the gate was better placed on in his bedroom doorway so that he could crank his tunes. Bad move, big accident, but could have been very easily avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting