Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's not my kid and I wish he did have a job so he would not be home all day smoking cigarettes, singing and stomping over my head. I get the feeling he does what he wants and 'too bad' for Mom. (he never seemed to go to high school!).

Then again, he may have mental problems or be sickly, so who am I to judge?

Sounds like the problem is atually the singing/stomping. Have you tried communicating with him to let him know how his behavior is affecting you?

Failing that.. a call to the apartment manager might be in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,016,661 times
No, he's not my kid. My neighbor.
I was just wondering what 'other people think' about someone who rarely goes out and is 17 years old.

I find it odd that he gets up (or his Mom) wakes him up before she goes to work every day (by beeping her car horn) and then he stays in the house all day.

Most 17 year olds like to get out of the house. How can anyone stand being cooped up all day in a small apartment? If you don't work, you'd sleep, right?
I think it is weird the mom wakes him up. Maybe she is nagging him to find work then leaves and he doesn't?

We've learned to deal with the noise. This complex is USELESS when you complain.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 PM

15,797 posts, read 21,308,506 times
I'm 21 and my brother is 19 and we're home for the summer unable to find jobs- not even McJobs or more "under the table" work like babysitting or lawn work. My internship fell through and my brother came home expecting to not have *all* that much trouble finding a job but after about 100 apps, he gave up. We live in an area of the country where you can't walk anywhere and since we both live in a city 1000 miles away during the school year, we don't have cars so yes, we ARE home pretty much all the time. We don't have many friends left at home- only came back because the cost of living is lower and we thought we'd be able to find summer employment.

When I was a teenager, I didn't work a summer job either. Summer was for camp, self schooling (something my parents enforced all the way through high school), summer scholars programs, studying for the SAT, and tons of reading. My parents never allowed us to get jobs- I think largely because since we didn't have cars (and wouldn't waste our money getting them since we knew we were going to college in locations where we wouldn't be able to accomodate them), it would be their responsibility to get us to work.

It's really none of your business as to why or why not another teenager doesn't have a job. Especially this summer with teenage unemployment at ridiculous levels (I don't know of any numbers out there but just surveying my friends, neighbors, and brother's friends, the vast majority are unemployed despite searching for work), I don't know how much you can hold it against a kid for not working. They're competing against laid off people to get jobs for just the summer- who do you think will gain employment first?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,840,000 times
Maybe the mom just doesn't want her son sleeping all day, wasting the day away. Anyway, we made our teenagers get a job by the time they were 16. We wouldn't give them spending money, and if they wanted to drive they had no choice, because once they got their license at 17/18 we required them to pay half the car insurance. They have had part time jobs year round for three+ years now.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,016,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

It's really none of your business as to why or why not another teenager doesn't have a job. Especially this summer with teenage unemployment at ridiculous levels (I don't know of any numbers out there but just surveying my friends, neighbors, and brother's friends, the vast majority are unemployed despite searching for work), I don't know how much you can hold it against a kid for not working. They're competing against laid off people to get jobs for just the summer- who do you think will gain employment first?
Back up there, hon. It is my business if the stupid mother wakes the kid up by BEEPING HER HORN for no reason so he can start singing at 7 am, stomping, coughing (too many ciggies) and wakes up MY son who is a child and entitled to sleep in as well. My husband works nights and EVERY DAY he anticipates being woken up by these 'clueless wonders' as they go through their cutsie little beep beep routine.

The kid is being woken up by his mom to be a nuisance to us!!! (she goes off to her job till 6 pm!).

I am not judging this kid for not working, I was just asking for opinions. I'm unemployed, too. I know it's hard to get a job!

However, if a parent wants to give the kid his summer break then LET HIM SLEEP!! Here's hoping he's off to college in September...!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM

15,797 posts, read 21,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Back up there, hon. It is my business if the stupid mother wakes the kid up by BEEPING HER HORN for no reason so he can start singing at 7 am, stomping, coughing (too many ciggies) and wakes up MY son who is a child and entitled to sleep in as well. My husband works nights and EVERY DAY he anticipates being woken up by these 'clueless wonders' as they go through their cutsie little beep beep routine.

The kid is being woken up by his mom to be a nuisance to us!!! (she goes off to her job till 6 pm!).

I am not judging this kid for not working, I was just asking for opinions. I'm unemployed, too. I know it's hard to get a job!

However, if a parent wants to give the kid his summer break then LET HIM SLEEP!! Here's hoping he's off to college in September...!
You need to take it up with the parent then- if it's really disturbing your child then you should have done something about it from day one. But truth be told, the kid might just be one of those rare, elusive morning people. My brother has woken up at 5:30AM every day since he was 15 completely on his own whereas if I had my choice, I'd be going to bed around that time.

Even if his mother wasn't beeping her horn (and really, you should drop her a nice note anonymously about it if you haven't talked to her already), just because he's a teenager doesn't mean he's going to sleep until noon. I regularly get woken up by my brother now that we're both home for the summer as he walks around the house at 6, coughing, sneezing, farting, and just generally being a teenage boy. Should he stay in bed until it's convenient to everyone else?

I've lived in an apartment where the next door neighbor's alarm went off at 4:30AM. I could hear it through the wall and it'd wake up both my room mate and I. What can you do? That's apartment living. The people on the other side had 3 kids. The younger ones would cry all night with colic and the older one would have melt downs regularly (probably from lack of sleep due to her little sisters!). It stinks but the coughing and walking of the teenager is something you're just going to have to deal with- it's his home and he shouldn't have to suppress his bodily needs to accommodate his neighbors.

The singing and horn beeping is not necessary, but honestly, he might not have any idea that anyone else can hear him. My boyfriend's next door neighbor has no idea we can hear him when he sings in the shower, I'm sure. :P If you see him around, mention it. Most teenagers would be incredibly embarrassed that anyone else could hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting