Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM

391 posts, read 512,095 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I sympathize with the men with young daughters. About a year ago I was in the grocery store waiting in the customer service line when a man came in with his young daughter (maybe 4-5). She obviously had an emergency and he looked flustered. He seemed to internally debate what to do for 1/2 a minute and then went to open the men's bathroom door. The lady at customer service looked horrifed and told him he couldn't take a little girl into the men's room.She then pointed to a random older woman in line and said "Ask her to take the girl into the ladies". He looked confused and said that he DIDN'T KNOW her. I got of line and exclaimed, "I can't believe this! What is wrong with you!" to the lady. I went into the ladies room checked to see if anyone was in there, came back out and told him the coast was clear and that I would wait by the door until they came out. He looked greatly relieved and glanced at the customer service lady, who I was eyeing, mumbled his thanks and rushed in. I couldn't believe the inconsideration of the physical need of a child! Help when you can, always be understanding and push for the installation of those great family restrooms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

693 posts, read 1,036,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I agree, my 9 year old complains, but when we are at beaches, malls, public park, or theme parks, and he doesn't have his cousin with him or something, he goes in with me. I could care less what people think. But at restaurants and more private settings, I'm fine. It all depends on my comfort level.
Right on! I wouldn't want to be one of those parents who, in hindsight, feels regret because someone else thought my boy was a little too old. Unfortunately, public places like beaches and water parks are play grounds for pedophiles.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM

516 posts, read 1,371,522 times
I let my 4 year old go into the bathroom occasionally by himself, only because we normally go out during the day, when there's not often a lot of men around... but I check the bathroom out first. But if I have to go, I take him into the women's room.. and will continue to for a couple more years.

I'm more of a free range parent though, so maybe that's a reason why I feel a little less paranoid about it.

A friend of mine was harassed by a security guard for her husband taking her girls into the men's bathroom... and this was at the court house!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,827,193 times
we all should write letters to large corporations to request family restrooms. They make sense and they are good business. And a customer service lady who threw a fit because a man wanted to take his young daughter into a men's roomn WITH HIM should be fired. She is the first one who would have yelled pervert if he had tried to take the little girl into the women's room.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 AM

218 posts, read 797,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
This thread has brought up a question for me and my wife. We have a son and never thought anything of her bringing him into the women's bathroom.

but what if we have a little girl? As far as I can remember I have never seen a little girl in the men's room. How do little girls with their fathers go to the bathroom?
Growing up, my father went in the women's room with me. I don't remember anyone getting upset by it and as an adult, I don't really understand why they would. The women's rooms have stalls with doors so even if you walk in and find a grown man there with his daughter, what's the big deal? I could see screaming pervert if a man was there alone but to me a father in the women's room with his daughter is no worse than a mother taking an older boy (old enough that Mom doesn't keep him in the stall while she goes). At least the father (hopefully!) won't be peeking under the stalls of other women or tossing wet paper over the stall walls at strangers.

Last edited by pers; 01-19-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 AM

50,061 posts, read 63,405,659 times
You didn't do anything wrong. I would have done the same thing.
Just because the man had a bratty little girl, who he allowed to call the shots, doesn't mean he had a right to speak to you that way. He was probably bummed because he couldn't take his daughter into the men's room...unfair, but just the way it is.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,173,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
I wouldn't have even had a dialogue with the guy, other than tell him what he wants to hear just to end the conversation.
This is when it's good to know how to say "I don't speak English" in something faily obscure, like Icelandic. Rude people tend to leave you alone, other than the occasionally hurled "learn English whydoncha!"

Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM

235 posts, read 509,135 times
There is no way I'd let my sons (6 and 3) go into a men's room alone. If they are out w/ me alone we all go into the ladies room. I'd rather irritate someone than have something happen to my son in a men's room w/o me.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,669,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I had an experience the other day that was really frustrating and brought to mind a question. I was in the womens' restroom at a public park with my two five year old boys and my 2 year old boy. A young girl, who was maybe 8, went outside and told her father who was waiting for her that there were boys in the restroom and she was afraid. When we came out, the father confronted me about my boys being in the womens' room...saying something to the effect of "the sign says women, they ought not be in there". They are only 5, sir, I said. He proceeded to say "I don't care how old they are, they aren't allowed in there." Which brings up the question...how old is too old to have boys go into the womens room with mom? I really don't feel safe sending them into the mens room unattended at their current age....not knowing who is in there (a pedophile, who knows?)...and also not being able to go in if they should need my help at some point.

5 years old is too young to send into a public rest room alone. The only thing would be to check the bathroom first and see if it is occupied or take them into the ladies room.
You will know when to start letting go.
The guy was a jerk.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,876,492 times
I know this is an old post but given the following choice.

1. Let your son go into the men restroom alone
2. You go in the men restroom with them
3. You take into the women restroom.

#3 is the most appropriate for public restroom. This is especially true since there are stall in the women bathroom. The girl who complained to the father. It's good that she is reporting that and the father should have use more common sense to explain the rationale to the girl. If she didn't feel comfortable, then she could have waited.

On the other hand, I do have problem with father that bring their little girl into the men locker room at my gym. It clearly states that kids over 3 should use the family locker. Some people just don't have common sense or they live in a "it's all about me world".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting