Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
My guess is that you have no children?
I do and I agree with him. You don't need to be childless to understand it is inappropriate for boys to be in women's bathrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
If hes big enough to look me in the eye hes big enough to use the men's room.
All too many mothers here argue that 9 year olds should be able to be taken into women's restrooms. No matter how big they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I call this fear based parenting. Parents hear examples of kids being abducted so often on the news that they get the idea that it is happening all around them when in reality, these stories come from all round the globe and in my view the danger to any one kid is really small.
I agree. Paranoia has it's grip and mothers won't allow their sons to grow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulylily View Post
This. My daughter (6) and I have both been peeked at under the stall, and my DD was so embarassed that she cried. The boy doing the looking was at least her age. ...FTR, my daughter is 6 and is very wary of boys. Nothing traumatic has happened to her, but she is quiet and shy, and boys can be loud and boisterous. She is just very cautious, and I am quite sure she would have come out of the bathroom if there were boys in there.
I agree here too. Mothers of boys who take them into women's restrooms don't care that your daughter is traumatized though. They all think their precious boys don't peek and have every right in with girls and women with no concern for other's feelings about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM

382 posts, read 1,352,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Seriously.. 5 years old? When I was 5 years old I was roaming around the neighborhood and going exploring in the woods and climbing trees. You won't let your kid take a p-iss on his own? Give me a break, do you really need to baby your kids that much?

We did the same thing as kids in upstate NY. Unfortunately, things aren't the same anymore in this world as we know it. Bigger cities also tend to be different than rural areas.

My son is 3, but he's as big as a 5 year old and bigger than some. I do take him into a stall and I stay with him until he's done. He tried peeking under into the next stall and I told him not to do that, that it was rude. I do get looks when I take him in, but I'm not going to send him to the mens room alone whether he looks older or not. At 5 years old I'll probably send him in alone but only if he's OK with it. Most times I just try and make sure he's already gone before we go out.

Not all children who look 5+ are 5+.

I do think that 9 year olds are plenty old enough to go pee on their own in public bathrooms. If you are worried about them while they are in there, teach them to scream "fire" or "pedophile" if something happens, or try and wait until no one is in it. Thankfully a lot of places now have "family" bathrooms that are separate from the womens and the mens bathrooms.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,878,361 times
Regardless of gender age whatever .. i believe its a parents duty to keep a watch over their kids at public places .. and most importantly teach their kids some manners for godsake !! .. i once had a bizarre experience in a restroom .. an encounter with a 5 yo kid who played peek-a-boo at the wrong time and place ..bloddy prick .. since then i caught a phobia with stalls having medium sized doors i.e the lower end exposed .. seriously that kid showed up out of nowhere ..made a face and disappeared .. i still cant forget his face ..that lil devil .. such kids make me sick and paranoid !! .. so parental guidance is strictly adviced .. especially at public places .

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,020,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
so you'd be okay with me bringing my 15 yo son (I don't really have a 15 yo son but many of my 15yo daughters boy friends don't yet have beards) into the womans bathroom with me?!

I let my 9 yo son in the mens bathroom by himself. I wait outside the door for him. He knows what to do if someone does ANYTHING that makes him uncomfortable. I let my 7 yo in the mens bathroom if his brother is with him. If he's not, he comes in the womens bathroom with me.

I think its time to "lighten up" a bit, strawflower. Have a nice day.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Default pervets

At the risk of being politically incorrect, perverts are disproportionately homosexual, preying on boys.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,809,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington85 View Post
At the risk of being politically incorrect, perverts are disproportionately homosexual, preying on boys.
That is simply untrue. Many adult predators do not have any adult sexual orientation and prey on whomever they can get to. Not only that but women can be child molesters as well as men and they are not necessarily forced into this by a man.

It is frightening to see the statistics on this:

Child Abuse Research and Statistics

Quote:
Sex Offenders

The typical child sex offender molests an average of 117 children, most of who do not report the offence.
Source: National Institute of Mental Health, 1988.

About 60% of the male survivors sampled report at least one of their perpetrators to be female.
Source: Mendel, 1993.

About 95% of victims know their perpetrators.
Source: CCPCA, 1992.

It is estimated that approximately 71% of child sex offenders are under 35 and knew the victim at least casually. About 80% of these individuals fall within normal intelligence ranges; 59% gain sexual access to their victims through, seduction or enticement.
Source: Burgess & Groth, 1984.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 AM

13,234 posts, read 9,852,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington85 View Post

Hmmm, I see that you are a first time poster, digging up this old thread, in order to dispatch this pearl of wisdom.

Interesting.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That is simply untrue. Many adult predators do not have any adult sexual orientation and prey on whomever they can get to. Not only that but women can be child molesters as well as men and they are not necessarily forced into this by a man.

It is frightening to see the statistics on this:

Child Abuse Research and Statistics

And they feel the numbers are higher due to the disbelief and under reporting of females.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmmm, I see that you are a first time poster, digging up this old thread, in order to dispatch this pearl of wisdom.

Interesting.
^Yah that.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,056,695 times
I still take my 7 year old son in the girls room with me if we are at the store alone. Ecspecially big stores, if its one big bathroom for 1 person he obviously goes in the boys and I stand right outside the door so no one else can go in. Or if my husband is with me he will take him in the boy room. I've read to many stories like this one:

Convicted Sex Offender Arrested After Allegedly Raping Child in Walmart Bathroom - KFSM (http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-nwa-brandon-hutson-arrest,0,5533059.story - broken link)

"You definitely want to keep your eye on your child and don't leave them unsupervised for any specified period of time," Cpl. Crisman says. "Especially in a public place like this. And any public place for that matter and we actually do see it around the mall and stuff. And it's not just little children either it could be 10, 12, 13, 14 year old kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting