Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,847,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Oh, good grief! Bodies are NOT gross. Why are people in the US so uptight about nudity? Unless the pool has a family changing room, most moms are going to have to bring their little boys into the women's locker room to change for swimming since they cannot take them to the boys locker room. If dad's are there, they should go to the men's changing room, but if not boys younger than 6 are perfectly ok going into the ladies with their moms.

This could be avoided by having a family changing room though so that single women who are freaked out would not have to deal with moms and boys.

It's bad too...when i was a little girl my mother used to always get into arguments with women because at 7 i didn't wear a top a lot of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
It's bad too...when i was a little girl my mother used to always get into arguments with women because at 7 i didn't wear a top a lot of the time.
You know paganmama, I've sometimes wondered if you were raised on a commune but if there were women complaining about your being topless, I guess not. Unless they were complaining when you were in town.

Or were you? Hippie parents maybe? Crunchy granola types? As I've said before I definitely get a vibe from you. Not a bad thing.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 AM

23 posts, read 34,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I had an experience the other day that was really frustrating and brought to mind a question. I was in the womens' restroom at a public park with my two five year old boys and my 2 year old boy. A young girl, who was maybe 8, went outside and told her father who was waiting for her that there were boys in the restroom and she was afraid. When we came out, the father confronted me about my boys being in the womens' room...saying something to the effect of "the sign says women, they ought not be in there". They are only 5, sir, I said. He proceeded to say "I don't care how old they are, they aren't allowed in there." Which brings up the question...how old is too old to have boys go into the womens room with mom? I really don't feel safe sending them into the mens room unattended at their current age....not knowing who is in there (a pedophile, who knows?)...and also not being able to go in if they should need my help at some point.
*** him! If he is that concerned, he needs to take her potty! YOu have a right to protect your children. I take my daughters potty when I am alone with them as I fear something happening. If anyone has a problem with that, then they should go in the potty with their kids, shouldn't they? I even took my girl (age 10) at the time, to the potty and held the door closed for her (divider door) and stood right there so I knew that no one else was getting at her until she was done. And I took her out of the potty. As long as the boy is okay going with you to hte girls' potty, he is not too old to go with you. When he starts getting embarrassed, then maybe he is too old. It's you and your child you should be concerned with these days and *** anyone else who interferes with the way you are parenting your child. As long as you are being safe and healthy about it, then you are RIGHT.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I do and I agree with him. You don't need to be childless to understand it is inappropriate for boys to be in women's bathrooms.
All too many mothers here argue that 9 year olds should be able to be taken into women's restrooms. No matter how big they are.I agree. Paranoia has it's grip and mothers won't allow their sons to grow up.I agree here too. Mothers of boys who take them into women's restrooms don't care that your daughter is traumatized though. They all think their precious boys don't peek and have every right in with girls and women with no concern for other's feelings about it.
If you are that worried, take her potty with you or make her wet her pants. Safety is the most important thing to raising children or they won't grow up enough to learn what you are trying to teach them. Jeez.
There is nothing wrong with taking kids (supervised) into the bathroom. Children that age, with their mothers, are not likely to be peeking because mom will catch them. If they are unattended, then they don't belong in there as there is no need for it.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I agree with most of your sentiment, but what do you think goes on in the mens room?

Do you think we all just walk around with our johnsons in hand holding informal "who's bigger" contest?

Rule #1 of urinal etiquette - You don't want to see mine and I don't want to see yours.
I'm a man, and I understand, but it's not that! I take my daughters potty too, not because of what normal people do, but because of not knowing when or if there is someone abnormal there! And I am their only protection! If my wife is with me, she takes them. I am starting to let my 12 year old go on her own, but it was hard the first time!
You understand when you become a parent!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman1468 View Post
i could see her having to do #1, but does her mom make her do #2 too?
Although this is very stressful for a teen, it is better than what some things are happening, and if the bathroom isn't even an issue, then it's safer for when daddy has to watch his teen kid.
I think, realistically, if it's mommy with her, then mommy can take her potty or if she is okay with it, and a family toilet is available, he can make sure it's safe, then let her use it alone standing outside it. (Not Family? BS! Family is to be used for family situations) but if daddy has to take her to men's room, then the diaper is actually a good idea even if she poops her pants.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you were right to take the boys in, but sometimes kids dont behave even when they are with the mom, so the girls privacy was an issue for the guy and lets face it he is not allowed to accompany his daughter but you are allowed to accompany your children.
F--that, he doesn't have a right to go with his daughter to protect her! Have her check hte toilet is clear... ask if it's okay that daddy needs to be there as she is scared, and he go in and hold her stall door closed so it's obvious to others that he is there for one specific person!
Just because he isn't smart enough or brave enough to defend his child doesn't mean you can't be. BTW, I have taken my child (girl) into the mens' with me. I kept her right by my side as I took her in and made it hard for her to look towards the urinals, and I held her stall door closed after checking she was the only one in there. And she was ten at the time!

F-- other people who have issues with me protecting my daughter! Potty is a necessity of life, and if you are not willing to train her to mess her pants then protect her when she has to go potty, damn it! Until you feel she is old enough to throw a fit and fight enough to get someone's attention if she is in trouble!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I don't like to see boys in the girls room either. If you have that many, go into the mens room with them. Grown up men will wait.

How old is too old- if they are walking.
How old is safe enough to leave in a car unattended? How old is safe enough to leave at home unattended? How old is safe enough to teach to drive? How olds can go on forever, but the issue with me is, if if feels unsafe, the it's better to caution on the error of a child's safety. The mother was right, hands down.
What would you do if I took my little girl into the ladies' room? She has only one choice if I'm protecting her, by your definition! **** her pants! Is that right to do to a child? How about when she turns 10 or 12?
Yes, we have to let go at some point, but we don't have to do so in dangerous places, do we?
I would not let my 13 year old go by herself if we are in a busy place where it would be hard to see her coming out or in places where the seclusion of the place was a perfect place for the "wrong" sort of person to hide from the police! Sorry!
If she is okay with it, I'll take her in the men's and if she isn't, then I'll ask her to check it's clear and go with her into hte women's room unless mommy was with us!
No other opinion would be entertained.
So, of course the woman going in the men's room is no problem, but the man in the woman's room is a problem sometimes. So, the parents should try to take childrne younger htan 10 into the gender of the parent's washroom when possible if the parents feels it unsafe for hteir child to be alone
Not all public washrooms are equal, and each requires a parent to think before they decide. Period.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,894,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishigreensa View Post
I'm a man, and I understand, but it's not that! I take my daughters potty too, not because of what normal people do, but because of not knowing when or if there is someone abnormal there! And I am their only protection! If my wife is with me, she takes them. I am starting to let my 12 year old go on her own, but it was hard the first time!
You understand when you become a parent!

Not to change your mind, but I am a parent. My son is 9 and I started to let him go to the bathroom alone this year.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,917,721 times
When my son got old enough to want to go alone into the men's restroom, I did allow it - I think he was 4 or 5. But I stand outside the door and he has to sing - and he knew that if he stopped, I'd be running in there (you can't/won't sing if something bad is happening - certainly not in the same tone, without stopping). My dh does the same thing with my daughter.

He's 10 now and I don't make him do it anymore. But I do watch the door, and pay attention to how long he's in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting