Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,680,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
This afternoon was "meet & greet" day at my oldest's school to talk to the teacher, find out what they're going to need in a couple of weeks, and sign countless papers.

One of those "papers" was a consent form for corporal punishment. Now, as i've replied to several posts on here, I was on the receiving end of a paddle or two in my day and my son even got his first actual spanking from me at home just a couple of weeks ago, so i'm not opposed to spanking when absolutely needed and he now knows that.

However, I remember the embarassment of "getting it" at school with all of my friends listening for the "smack" sounds from the hallway and giggling like crazy as I slinked back to my desk afterward. I'm really not sure I want that for him....thinking i'd rather handle that kind of discipline at home.

As I said, i'm not anti-paddling per se, but when I told the teacher I wanted to think about that, I got that subtle "oh, he's one of those" expressions...and I really don't mean to be hard to deal with.

So, am I just being a total hypocrit (sp?) here?...Should I take the "if it's o.k. at home, it's o.k. at school" approach and sign the form?...after all, I survived the occasional embarassment and was better behaved knowing what was in the teacher's desk drawer...not reallly a huge deal.

On the other hand, I had the discussion with my son late last school-year over what would happen if he got a bad note sent home regarding behavior and I think he's just as aware of notes as I was of the teacher's paddle....both will likely have the same "end" result.

btw...his mom signed the permission last year and there were no "events", so he may not ever need a paddling anyway...but, I imagine he'll have his moments just like I did We're starting second grade.
I think everyone should get their hackles down a bit.

Is this a jesuit school?

Signing the consent form does not mean that your child will be arbitrarily paddled for routine offenses. If it gets to the point that the kid is going to receive corporal punishment you will be aware of the reasons why. Consent form or not, this is a very litigious culture that we live in and the school isn't going to expose itself to liability.

One thing that I have noticed about kids (boys in particular) at schools with the right to corporal punishment is a lot of "yes sir, yes ma'am", a lot of hard workers and a lot of "old school" respectful young men with a tendency towards mental toughness and competitiveness.

That said, my only experience is with private Jesuit schools (or more to the point, one private Jesuit school). I have no knowledge of whether or not the same can be applied to any school outside of my (anecdotal) example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't know where the heck you people with the paddling live--
This is 2009...don't they have more progressive methods of 'controlling students' by now.

I've worked in several schools and no, paddling is NOT an option.

I guess there must be some wild and nasty kids out there or just poor educators that feel they need this as backup.

I'd never allow anyone to put a hand on my kid. We don't so why would we let some 'teacher' or 'educator???'
Evidently not in "hippy granola land"

HA HA HA HA HA!!! (I made myself laugh)

Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,874,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That makes more sense. I still think if they have excessively horrible kids(bullies or someone who does a crime) they should pull them out of school and have them learn what 'real work' is like...those kids would be begging to be put back in school. Have them go in the rain and clean parks or something for 8 hours and only give them the 1 break a day...let them see what menial labor is like.
And you know what? Most parents I talk with agree this works pretty well, esp with boys it seems. I was at a cub scout committee meeting and we were talking about how day camp went. Apparently there were some parents that complained because their boys had to go around picking up trash. These boys had been getting in trouble all week, not listening to the adults in charge, etc...On the last day, the adult leaders made them go around the campsite picking up trash. Some parents complained that it was too punitive. Really, they all were probably going to have to pick up trash anyway (Leave No Trace), just these boys got sent to do it ahead of the others.

*shrug*

Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,482,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
This is not Lowndes County, GA, but Lanier County, GA is right next door. They reinstated the corporal punishment policy by a vote of 3-2 in 2005.

Lanier County BOE adopts corporal punishment policy
But it doesn't state what punishments.

I am completely for enforcing strong discipline & a reason my children will not be attending public school but not discipline that allows a teacher to take a swatch and whack my children on the rear.

Maybe I am confused (wouldn't be a first), but I am completely believing it as physically smacking a student as a means of discipline.

And we have a family history of Jesuit schooling in our home. Corporal punishment is not used. My parents got swatted on the hands and my mom had her hair pulled..that was 1950s...I went to parachiol all through 12 & my brothers went to Jesuit and my sons will be going to the same Jesuit school and that just doesn't happen. A finger was never laid upon us. Many a dirty look by the nuns, but no physical touching.

There are ways to instill strict discipline that does not entail paddling. But in today's world, the second a teacher looks cross eyed at a student they are being sued for physical abuse...so, to some, maybe just the word "teacher" instills the ideas of corporal punishment...

It's a shame what this country has allowed happen in public schools. I am doing what it takes to ensure my children are not part of that sytem for it has been of no value to this country and more problems.

Parents don't want "discipline" in school? Then start with disciplining your child when they are at home & half these issues will minimize.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,482,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
. Apparently there were some parents that complained because their boys had to go around picking up trash.
Isn't part of being a cub scout entail public service?

These posts make me appreciate that my children are still very young and I have time b/c I am probably not going to have lots of adult friends if these sort of things are what irritates parents...

But then again, we have a neighbor who makes her children's beds for them (they are in the middle school) b/c they "complain if they have to do it & it's just easier if I do it.". Fabulous mentality to have & teach to a child....

I'm just going to live in a bubble for the next few years...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,874,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Isn't part of being a cub scout entail public service?

These posts make me appreciate that my children are still very young and I have time b/c I am probably not going to have lots of adult friends if these sort of things are what irritates parents...
Yep. I don't get it. A selling point of scouting is to get boys involved in positive activities in a safe environment with peers.

from the BSA website: The BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And we have a family history of Jesuit schooling in our home. Corporal punishment is not used. My parents got swatted on the hands and my mom had her hair pulled..that was 1950s...I went to parachiol all through 12 & my brothers went to Jesuit and my sons will be going to the same Jesuit school and that just doesn't happen. A finger was never laid upon us. Many a dirty look by the nuns, but no physical touching.
Still happens. There is a brother affiliated with the school who handles any paddling. Can be on the hand with a reed or on the backside with a more conventional looking paddle. Punishment is generally meant to fit the offense, but anyone sent to the brother has really messed up and has done so repeatedly and has been disciplined at home extensively (or at least the parents have had ample opportunity to address the problem).

More common would be a boy awakened in class by an educator with (i) a firm grip on the ear, (ii) a fistfull of the boy's hair or (iii) a gentle swat with a ruler or yardstick. That's generally why that cross glare from the nun works so well. There is an implicit threat in it, and the threat has teeth.

You see a lot of guys vigilantly fighting sleep or standing up by their desks.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,365,972 times
I signed it for my kids. You'd be surprised how much better behaved they are in this school and how much better their grades are. Of course, some of that is due to a phenomenal administration, but I also think a good bit of it is that they don't want to be ambarassed by being paddled. I'm all for it.

Just wanted to add, in our school the principal calls the parent to discuss what the student did and ask the parents advice on how to proceed with punishment. And when our kids are paddled at school they know when they get home they'll get it again from one of us. It's a group effort to keep them in line. You mess up there, you mess up at home and we'll reinforce the rules.

I'm a strict parent and after seeing the results of parents that think time out works, I'm damn proud to be a strict parent.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,365,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Evidently not in "hippy granola land"

HA HA HA HA HA!!! (I made myself laugh)

Ah Jimbo, you made me laugh sweetie!! Reps to you honey!! Glad not everyone is a granola crunching, tofu eating, tree hugging liberal!

Apparently you make me laugh a lot. Gotta spread some more love before rep'n ya again, but you get cyber reps anyway!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ah Jimbo, you made me laugh sweetie!! Reps to you honey!! Glad not everyone is a granola crunching, tofu eating, tree hugging liberal!

Apparently you make me laugh a lot. Gotta spread some more love before rep'n ya again, but you get cyber reps anyway!
Just for clarification, there is nothing wrong with tofu apart from its utter lack of flavor and being a bit heavy on phyto-estrogenoids.

Gypsysoul's location description states "Hippy Granola Land". I couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting