Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:19 PM

214 posts, read 558,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Gosh, let's all bow before your selfless altruism! Who cares why people breed? You either want kids or you don't, there's nothing more than that to it.
Who cares?

We all should, because people having kids for all the wrong reasons are the kids who usually grow up to be troubled adults which affects us all.

Adults having kids for their own selfish reasons and not actually for the joy and responsibility of raising a child is a real problem in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Well, and there lies the agenda.
You seem to be trying so hard to figure me out or my reasons for starting this thread. Your not doing a good job of either one though.

My only "agenda" for starting this topic is to get a discussion going...you know what City Data message board is for...? Lively discussion/debate?

There is no hidden motive or agenda, just simply discussion.

But yes, in the spirit of the discussion, I am proud to say that I have never fathered a child for any selfish reason. I dont have any kids and it will remain that way.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:32 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,205,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
You seem to be trying so hard to figure me out or my reasons for starting this thread. Your not doing a good job of either one though.

My only "agenda" for starting this topic is to get a discussion going...you know what City Data message board is for...? Lively discussion/debate?

But yes, in the spirit of the discussion, I am proud to say that I have never fathered a child for any selfish reason. I dont have any kids and it will remain that way.
Rather than look deeply into your list, and there is a vast array of literature, you have opted to watch the news and documentaries. Which by the way is the problem with the nation, sound byte education. Rather than take this to a section of city-data where it would be addressed by all levels of people, you have opted to post in the parenting section.

Finally, you state that you, yourself, are clean from sin because you have opted not to have a child.

Your not too hard to figure out.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:41 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,730,635 times
Quote:
If you want to start a debate I suggest this forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/great-debates/.

Quote:

Yeah your agenda is not hidden. From your first post I could tell you were one of many childless people who come into the parenting forum to tell us how much better than us you are.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 PM

3,732 posts, read 12,352,064 times
Quote:

Seems to me that there are 2 reasons you posted this thread - justification for your belief that the world would be a better place without children - However, that would be rather problematic in around 60 years as the whole of the human species would be in steep decline and soon extinct.

Second - the only reason you would post this topic under parenting is to incite reaction not debate.

Happy to hear you have no plans for children.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 PM

9,872 posts, read 10,774,607 times
Quote:
Anyone notice this?

I honestly believe most people have kids for there own selfish reasons.

Some bottom of the barrel types have kids because welfare gives them more money

Some people have kids in hopes of "saving" there relationship

Some looneys have kids because they want attention

Some people have kids because they simply have a void in there life and want something to do

Some people have kids for there own status in society, its like there trophy piece

Some people dont even plan to have kids, its an unwanted accident

A lot of very selfish reasons to have kids with only the people creating them in mind.

Of course Im not implying everyone is guilty of this but dont you think there is a lot of this going on?
Perhaps you could enlighten us with the right reasons to have kids, in your opinion ofcourse!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM

264 posts, read 817,139 times
I don't understand peoples' reaction to this post...? why are the claws coming out?

Old 07-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I don't understand peoples' reaction to this post...? why are the claws coming out?
I agree.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah your agenda is not hidden. From your first post I could tell you were one of many childless people who come into the parenting forum to tell us how much better than us you are.
Your observations of my posts are not correct. That is not my "agenda" my "agenda" is discuss people having kids for their own selfish reasons.

Do you fall into any of the categories of the list I made in my initial post?

I never once claimed to be better then anyone here, what I said was

"I am proud of myself for not wanting to bring a child into this world for selfish reasons I listed in my initial post. It wouldnt be fair to the kid if I did so."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Seems to me that there are 2 reasons you posted this thread - justification for your belief that the world would be a better place without children - However, that would be rather problematic in around 60 years as the whole of the human species would be in steep decline and soon extinct.

Second - the only reason you would post this topic under parenting is to incite reaction not debate.

Happy to hear you have no plans for children.
Another wrong observation. I hope none of you are detectives (its a joke lighten up)

I think the world would be better off with responsible, loving, caring, financially and mentally stable parents.

Discussion is why I posted it in the parenting section, as that is what the topic is about, Parenting.

Im not sure why it makes you happy I have no plans for children but it sure makes me happy. I am a free spirit and choose to come and go as I please. I do not want the responsibility that comes along with being a good father. I applaud those who do it well, but it is something I have no interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Perhaps you could enlighten us with the right reasons to have kids, in your opinion ofcourse!
Sure!

The right reasons to have kids would be a couple who is financially stable and mentally mature enough to provide their kids with at least the basic needs and a safe upbringing and wants to have kids because they truly enjoy and are capable of handling all the responsibilities that come with raising a child.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,343,998 times
Nothing wrong with not wanting to have kids. Going on the Parenting forum and proclaiming your thoughts against those people who chose otherwise (AKA "Parents") is just unnecessary. There has been a history on this forum of several posters coming on to make snide remarks about people who do have kids (in their terminology "breeders")....Yes, people do have children for a variety of reasons good and bad, sometimes people have children for what might have been the "wrong" reasons but they turn out to be good parents and the children thrive. Sometimes exceptional children come out of horrible circumstances. You just never know. In a perfect world, every child would be wanted ande cared for. I think we can ALL agree on that. The world is not perfect. Never will be. In the meantime we all just do the best we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting