Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,965,964 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that singing really helps to develop an 'ear for music'. For those of us less talented, they go hand in hand and help each other out ... and I know that because I frankly am not great at either singing or playing an instrument but when I did both, hand in hand, I got much better at both very quickly. At any rate, I would not discount the value of the singing if you decide to continue the lessons and it is still a necessary 'entertainment' element to use up your full half hour. Using the time that way is not playing 'Go Fish' or 'hide and go seek' and it can be very beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,830,845 times
One thing I'd strongly recommend would be keeping practices between lessons short (like, two five minute sessions are way better than one ten minute session) and making a game of them, never a chore. How fast can you play the song? How slow can you play the song? Play scales in time with the popcorn popping in the microwave, and when it's done, we'll eat popcorn! That kind of thing. In the long run, fostering a level of comfort and affection for music can be more productive than perfect assiduousness.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 AM

23,844 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Many educators think one has to be able to sing before they can learn to read.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 AM

14,263 posts, read 11,578,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Our society is extreme in discounting what little people can do. We treat them like pets or toys. Nothing harms children like the soft bigotry of low expectations. I think a POTUS said that.
Actually, expectations that are too high are just as harmful, and our society has definitely gone toward that extreme. I'm talking about expectations such as 4-year-olds should be reading at a certain level, playing in music recitals, or being part of a sports team. Some kids are ready for those things at any early age and others are not. If they're not, you can absolutely harm them by "expecting" them to perform beyond their maturity level.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM

23,844 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Actually, expectations that are too high are just as harmful, and our society has definitely gone toward that extreme. I'm talking about expectations such as 4-year-olds should be reading at a certain level, playing in music recitals, or being part of a sports team. Some kids are ready for those things at any early age and others are not. If they're not, you can absolutely harm them by "expecting" them to perform beyond their maturity level.
I do not recommend parents being concerned with SATs at preK. My dream school would be Reggio Emilia environment for little people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting