U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 AM

546 posts, read 1,907,190 times

Advertisements

wanted to ask if it's too early for a 5 year old to learn piano?
my 5 year old's piano teacher has been saying wonderful thing about his piano pickup skills, but
I still think that he's having a hard time focusing and to actually
pick up something during the class is really only 10 min.
the teacher is here for about half an hour each time, so the rest of
the time, she needs to entertain him with
singing..etc. she charges $14 per time, but I have been reading over
the web that
it's much more efficient to have a 7 yr old learn instead of a 5. maybe I should at least cut down
the lessons like every other week, instead
of every week? or just wait till he's 7 to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,256,781 times
I suppose I would follow your son's lead. If he's not attending to the whole lesson, then I'd say why pay for the lessons? But as an aside, the singing might be beneficial to the overall lesson. I wonder if there's some way to work out a shorter lesson, or teach him through another avenue until he's at the point where he can really focus for the whole lesson.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 PM

5,955 posts, read 12,871,758 times
My boys love drums! I wonder if starting him on drums first would be beneficial, and keep him more interested or focused, then at 7 when he starts piano he'll already have a background with rhythm as well as the discipline required for music lessons... just a thought.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,314,987 times
I took classical training from 1st grade - 12 grade, 1hr weekly.... I've also done some teaching on the side....

Gotta say that 5 is a little young for "most" children just due to focus and coordination. That is a long time to expect a 5yr old to stay focused on 1 thing. Some children start as young as 3 and do fine but the majority start right around kinder-2nd grade.

That being said, since you have already started, I would not stop unless, over time, you see that it is not an enjoyable extracurricular for your child.

Once a month by teacher & if you can pick up the very basics, sit with him once a week.

For an instrument like the piano, there needs to be consistency. You are paying for training, not entertainment

As time goes on, he may start to show more interest and if nothing else, he will be able to handle the coordination and focus better by the time he is 7-9yrs of age.

Good luck. It's such a wonderful instrument and a lifelong skill he will always have!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,264,914 times
Perhaps your piano teacher is saying wonderful things to keep her job? Just a thought.

Did your son request these lessons? I think 5 years old is too young for most children. I know 10 year old's who are requesting lessons and the age seems more appropriate.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM

55,237 posts, read 73,255,461 times
language art and music do it now. what an opportunity.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 PM

141 posts, read 375,900 times
If you've already started lessons, there's not much reason for you to stop them, unless your child shows no interest. I would say one hour a week should be sufficient at this point. If he begins doing competitions, lessons will be more frequent. It seems odd that the teacher is spending time singing and entertaining him when really, the whole thing should be piano and while I may be wrong, I think a kid who really wants to play the piano wouldn't want to waste time with that stuff, he'd want to be playing the instrument the whole time. However, $14 isn't that much at all. I know for me, it was $75 an hour and this was the early 90's... but then again, we were playing the whole time and I was competing.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,954,580 times
I don't think it is ever too early to have a child take instrument lessons if they seem to enjoy it. What a great way to boost their confidence, teach them subtle discipline and give them a gift that may bring them joy their whole life. I wouldn't push them....but if they showed interest....go for it.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,104,707 times
I started piano lessons at 5 and continued them until I was in my mid-20s (piano major). I think 5 is fine if your child shows an interest in it.

30 minute lessons every week is appropriate; I would not take it down to every other week but that's just my personal opinion based on a child retaining what is taught from lesson to lesson. As long as you have a teacher who is engaged & willing to work with your child outside the scope of "formal" piano lessons by adding singing, in your case, I think your child is off to a good start. As a former piano teacher who had some young students, you do have to do some fun things to keep them focused on the music and it's not always necessarily sitting at the piano, learning to read notes & plunk them on the keyboard. We had informal singing lessons, clapped out rhythms, made up words to songs we're learning - basically, started teaching very early music theory in age & interest appropriate ways.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,135,213 times
Don't try to teach your child anything that he is not interested in. You job as a parent is to develop his individual skills, not recreate your lost hopes thru him. $14.00 is not a lot of money to most, but you and your son may get more out of mommy and me classes or activity classes that involve the parents with their children than something that does not hold his attention. By all means involve him in any activities that include physical activity and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or