U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM

59 posts, read 252,916 times

Advertisements

Our 10month old has been sucking her index and third finger almost all day since about 4-5 months of age. We have tried using socks/gloves to stop this. Once we tried a herbal bitter tasting ointment on her fingers. We want to avoid a pacifier. Any creative ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,603,614 times
I don't know, even if you wanted to try a pacifier, that at this point it would be welcome. If she will suck on a pacifier, you could certainly try this to break her of the habit of sucking on her fingers, then when she is totally broken of sucking on her fingers, you could just take the pacifier away. I doubt the child would pick up sucking on the fingers again.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:21 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,333 times
I would give her a teething ring to chew on. My goddaughter would suck on OTHER'S fingers when she began teething. Although the first tooth didn't break through until she was about 8months old.. she started the habit at about 5 months old. Try it

Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
I would let her suck her thumb. My kids grow up in a breast-feeding, finger sucking country--and they all got over it. Some babies need more sucking than others. I am not permissive, but no alternative worked then, and it seemed like a shame to "shame" them! Just my 2 cents, and I am probably out of date as my youngest is over 30.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:37 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
I knew a little girl, 3 years old, who always sucked her index and third finger while she twiddled her fingers through her hair. She mostly did it to comfort herself when sad, or when she was tired or actually lying down for a nap.
Neither I nor her parents thought it was that big a deal, usually kids eventually stop of their own accord. However, she did develop little bumps on her fingers.
They didn't look that bad, and I am sure they eventually disappeared.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:37 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,167,269 times
I'm of the clan of "No one ever went to college and sucked on their fingers (okay maybe secretively)"

So unless your DR says it's bad for teeth I wouldn't mind it

How did the bitter ointment work - you didn't say...was it called "Thumbs it"?

Plus Google Thumb Sucking and see ifyou can find cures there

Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM

833 posts, read 4,369,988 times
Default no worries

Why would you WANT to stop her? My firstborn sucked his thumb and it was natural self-soothing. It calmed him down. My second born never found anything to self-soothe...never interested in a pacifier, thumb, fingers, or anything. He is a hard to settle down child. I think it's great when babies find their own way to settle down and relax. In my view, you are a very lucky mom.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm of the clan of "No one ever went to college and sucked on their fingers (okay maybe secretively)"

So unless your DR says it's bad for teeth I wouldn't mind it

How did the bitter ointment work - you didn't say...was it called "Thumbs it"?

Plus Google Thumb Sucking and see ifyou can find cures there
I tend to agree. I think it will save your sanity in the long run to not make too much out of these kind of issues which are, as indicated in the post above pretty self-resolving with time. I wouldn't like her sucking the fingers either, but...the "cure" may be worse than the "ill" in this case if you know what I mean...

Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Default let her do it

It is a developmentally appropriate thing for her to suck her fingers. It is one of the ways in which young children learn to soothe themselves. I would not make a big deal out of it, lest you only end up REINFORCING the behavior. If you make her feel anxious or ashamed about the behavior, it may reinforce her finger sucking, as that is the means by which she comforts herself right now. I would give it a bit more time; most kids will transition out finger sucking as they mature.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 5,670,888 times
I agree with the other posters...you child is still really young and needs ways to soothe herself/himself - not a battle worth fighting at this point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or