U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,641,685 times

Advertisements

I don't know how you even find time to work! It seemed mine were nursing every fifteen minutes at that age. I barely got off the couch.

Enlist help from your partner for as many things as you can, if you're lucky enough to have one that will help. Kitchen and bathroon relatively clean, toys in a corner so you don't break your neck, and dinner (unless you can get him to cook), for the most part that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 PM

833 posts, read 4,372,435 times
Default wow

wow, that's a lot of things to get accomplished in one week, let alone one day. Do you have a partner? If so, he/she should be helping out with laundry, dishes, dinner, whatever. Just because you work part-time and will stay at home full time in a while, doesn't mean that you are the maid and servent of your family. I know this may get some people boiling mad, but it's my honest opinion. My husband does his own laundry. He was doing it before he met me when he had a full time job. He can do it now while he has a full time job. I shouldn't be part of that equation. I signed on to be a wife, not a servent or maid. Okay, gotta get off my soapbox!
When my second born was a baby, I hired an older woman down the street to babysit every single Tuesday from 9am-12pm. This was set in stone and was like clockwork. She did this for 8 months. It helped a little with my sanity. Also, if you belong to a gym with childcare, you could get some respite there. Sometimes I'd go to the gym and just hang out in the lobby and read magazines instead of working out! Just so I could have some peace and quiet. Also, there might be a moms club in your area. I joined mine when my firstborn was a baby and I made fantastic and down to earth women friends from the group.
I know it's a stressful time. Hang in there.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:20 PM

13,465 posts, read 21,212,300 times
I had four kids in five years. Late at night when I sat down, I would realize how tired I was and would cry. I had a strict schedule for myself and the kids and any upset to that schedule was disaster. .I didn't have any friends and seldom visited relatives, because I would have to spend all the time watching the kids. My husband was not any help with his job and school. I never had to go to work, because my husband made enough for us to get by on. Sometimes I would tell the kids that I hoped they each had six kids just like themselves when they grew up..Well, guess what!They grew up and had nine kids between them, and I am mostly raising five of them..My father in law used to shake his head and say "Sis, nothins changed but the names,huh." We are one big happy, well adjusted family now and my home is the heart of it. I wouldn't change one minute of it. Just hang in there.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,516,174 times
At one of my baby showers we played a game. You had to get the laundry hung out, answer the phone and have a conversation with the caller, and get the fussy baby (doll of course!) settled and fed. I never forgot what one of my dear friends did when it was her turn. She dropped the phone, the laundry, and headed to the rocking chair with the baby! That made a lasting impression on me! I'm a mom of 4, three of them are now teenagers, but at one time I had 3, with the oldest was just over 3. Sometimes I still wish I had spent more time with them. I never wish, though, that I'd spent more time on housework.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,758,198 times
Default dont kill yourself ....enjoy your child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I need advice on how to take care of a one-year-old and manage to have personal time, clean the house, make dinner, do laundry, write, read, etc. I only have one child and I feel like I can't keep up with everything. I pack all I can into the last three hours of the day, because that's the time he's sleeping!

I also teach part-time, but in five weeks I'll be finished until he goes to preschool. I'm even more nervous about staying home, because I'll have a bigger mess to clean!
why were you planning on making a bigger mess?

dont struggle with it
are you married or have a significant other?
let him help I suppose it is his child too right?
does he know how to cook?
I guess my point is WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BE SUPERWOMAN
you will be nervous and upset and let me tell ya your husband will soon find out
"IF MAMA AINT HAPPY AINT NOBODY HAPPY"

Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 5,864,355 times
LOL... I guess I should have explained. Since we would be here more, I assumed we have more time to make a mess! My husband is actually a big help to me. He works full time, goes to school, and leads the worship ministry at our church. Still, he finds time to sit with me on the couch and talk, and he'll take my son out here and there to give me time to catch up on things. One thing we hope for next year is that he won't have so much on his plate so that he can help out more often.

I guess I look at some of the women in the history of my family who had 4-8 kids and managed to get everything done. I just feel like I'm not doing such a good job with just one!

Thanks again for everyone's advice. Sometimes you guys brought tears to my eyes!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,026,926 times
Welcome to parenting! You think you are busy???

I have two little ones (a 2.5 year old and a 10 month old). They keep me plenty busy. Then I am a work at home mom on top of it all. I also do the housework and such.

I'm busy... but I try to take it all in stride...

I can tell you that relief is on the way. As she grows she will be able to spend more time playing independently and you can do things while she does.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM

199 posts, read 1,010,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
LOL... I guess I should have explained. Since we would be here more, I assumed we have more time to make a mess! My husband is actually a big help to me. He works full time, goes to school, and leads the worship ministry at our church. Still, he finds time to sit with me on the couch and talk, and he'll take my son out here and there to give me time to catch up on things. One thing we hope for next year is that he won't have so much on his plate so that he can help out more often.

I guess I look at some of the women in the history of my family who had 4-8 kids and managed to get everything done. I just feel like I'm not doing such a good job with just one!

Thanks again for everyone's advice. Sometimes you guys brought tears to my eyes!
Glad to hear your husband helps out in spite of his busy schedule.
I wanted to mention that sometimes having just one baby or toddler is much more demanding than having more. At least with 2 or 3, the siblings can entertain each other and give you a few minutes respite.
Also, I'm guessing when you compare yourself to those women in your family with lots of kids, you aren't comparing yourself to them when they only had one little one, but after they had some older kids who were helpful, at least by keeping the little ones occupied and happy for a while.

You are doing great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or