U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Legal advice: school guidance counselor, contractual agreement, itinerary, liability waiver, refund

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM

29 posts, read 123,757 times

Advertisements

Hi!
this is probably the wrong forum but I need some small claims legal advice....my 17 yo wanted to go with some friends to an after prom event in the poconos...the girl who coordinated the event is also 17. her parents basically just paid the bill and rented the limo and the hotel.....the money was due on the 20th and she gave the girl 190 as requested and in return the itinerary and permission/ liability waiverwas provided...when my kid saw that she was paying for things she wasn't a part of, she asked the other kid for 70 dollars back...the girl said ok, but mine still gave her the 190 with the promise that the change would be returned on monday because she needed it. well, of course monday comes and the girl refuses to give back the money telling mine that the other kids decided that she can't have it back...so mine demanded all her money and the girl said no. the so-called contract didn't mention no refund and I didn't sign the permission slip not the liabilty contract, note that the coordinator who created the contracts is a 17 yearold. I refuse to make a contract with a minor....called the mom who says she already paid the money for all the kids but will refund hers...the next day, she changed her mind, saying that the girls will have to work it out and she probably won't get it back....my daughter worked hard for the money and wants to go to small claims court to get it back. I'm trying to be the good parent and help her fight for what's right and the mom's position is that it's not her concern and that the only part she played in the event was to pay the money and make sure the kids were safe...again most of the kids are 17..any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,143,670 times
Sounds like this is going to be a painful learning experience for your daughter. She should not have given the $190, she could have written another check or done what she needed to do to only give $70.

Anyway, the best way to resolve this may be to go to the school guidance counselor or principal. They may be able to mediate the situation between the two girls.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,334,596 times
I believe at this point your daughter is going to have to chalk it up as a loss. As christina said, she'll need to file it as a learning experience. Legally, I don't believe either one of them is old enough to enter into a contractual agreement. In this instance, it's not much different than what would have happened if she had loaned the other girl money. In fact, that's exactly what she did and now she's been advised that the other girl is not going to make good on the debt. Of course, I imagine your daughter could pursue the matter but do you or her think it's going to be worth the additional money and time required to settle it legally? Are there mutual friends involved between the two girls who might take sides and ultimately cause a rift in multiple relationships that your daughter may end up regretting?

In my experience, school administrators are NOT going to get involved with a matter that does not pertain to an event that was non-school related. That is, unless the "tension" spills over into the school day.

Sorry your daughter is experiencing this.

SL

Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,845,097 times
Since both girls are minors, both parents are responsible. If you want to pursue it in small claims court you would have to sue the other parent. I'm not saying don't do it...but it may not be worth the hassle, depends on your perspective. Good luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or