U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 PM

546 posts, read 1,890,200 times

Advertisements

my 5 year old son got hit by his friend at school today, his lips are bleeding and tooth is hurting as he chew things.
I'm best friend with that friend of my son's and if you were me, would you bring it up and if yes, how.
my guts it to not say anything as it just hurts the friendship and that friend did apologize and he's a very nice boy,
it was an accident. The mother is a wonderful friend, with a kind heart and easily feel guilty about things, so I
don't think it's necessary to put her through this kind of hurtful feelings and I'll just take it as a normal kids
get hurt at school kind of thing...agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,187,653 times
If you think it was an accident then yes, I would just leave it. But if you thought it was intentional, then something would have to be said. The mum is nice, so thats half the battle.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,443,352 times
If its an accident then let it go. My son collided with another kindergartener on the playground last year and I believe he got a nosebleed and maybe cut his lip and the other kid got a bump on the head. Next time I saw the mom we both asked how each other's child was but that was it. It was an accident. Neither was looking in the right direction and they collided.

If you want to say something, I would say something like "how is little johnny doing? He and my little johnny banged into each other at school"

Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
Even if it wasn't an accident, you have to allow for a certain amount of trial and error in the development of childhood socialization. Kids play, and that is part of fitting themselves into their real world role. Just let them do it. Things that go wrong will probably be minor, and will sort themselves out in the long run.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,342,180 times
was it an accident or was some anger involved? how old was his friend that hit him and has he done it to other children as well? you might what ot find out what the schools policy is on informing parents of injuries done or recieved.

look at the situation without worrying about the mother's feelings. If it was your child who accidently hit another child would you want to know?

If it was a case of one zigged while the other zagged and boom and hit then not to worry but if something else was involved like a bit of anger or jealousy then I think the mother should know but if the situation was handle to your acceptance then you need to let her know that as well.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,471,128 times
Honestly, if it happened at school then it should have been dealt with there, especially if your son was hurt. I'd think there was no reason to even bring it up as it's over and done and taken care of.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM

546 posts, read 1,890,200 times
I'm 100% that it was an accident and this boy is also 5, same age as my son. This boy is one of the most well behaved kid in school, quiet and shy. the mom just called to ask about something else and I had a hard time trying to tell her what happened today, she's just such a good friend of mine, don't want to ruin that.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM

11,649 posts, read 17,066,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
my 5 year old son got hit by his friend at school today, his lips are bleeding and tooth is hurting as he chew things.
I'm best friend with that friend of my son's and if you were me, would you bring it up and if yes, how.
my guts it to not say anything as it just hurts the friendship and that friend did apologize and he's a very nice boy,
it was an accident. The mother is a wonderful friend, with a kind heart and easily feel guilty about things, so I
don't think it's necessary to put her through this kind of hurtful feelings and I'll just take it as a normal kids
get hurt at school kind of thing...agree?
Absolutely. Especially if she is your best friend.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,342,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I'm 100% that it was an accident and this boy is also 5, same age as my son. This boy is one of the most well behaved kid in school, quiet and shy. the mom just called to ask about something else and I had a hard time trying to tell her what happened today, she's just such a good friend of mine, don't want to ruin that.
tell her that. I doubt that if she is a good friend that she will be mad at you or upset over it all. It seems as you say an accident. just tell her it was an accident and no real harm no foul. If no stitches were needed your son will heal up just grand if the two kids are still friends why should the parents make a bigger deal out of something that heals up?

I think telling her about would have or should put her at ease that you are not upset that the kids are both fine with each other and that her son wasn't acting out of some sort of anger. You can assure her that the accident was well handled that her son acted like a little gentleman and appologized and all is well.

If some mother would say that to me I would appriciate it. I would of course feel bad for the little boy who got hurt especially if I was close to him and his family. I think that would be natural.

All will work out in the end. Just trust your friendship with the mother and the friendship between the two boys.

sounds like you did good.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM

24,474 posts, read 28,767,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
If you think it was an accident then yes, I would just leave it. But if you thought it was intentional, then something would have to be said. The mum is nice, so thats half the battle.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting