Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times

Advertisements

Okay, my 5-year-old daughter has, since spring, lost:

1. One pair of glasses (another pair is missing, but I don't know if it's her fault).
2. Two water bottles
3. Summer camp t-shirt
4. Martial arts uniform pants
5. Martial arts white belt
6. Eye patch (we're trying to correct a lazy eye here)
7. Backpack
8. Bracelet (she was going to the bathroom and it dropped into the toilet, and by the time she realized it, she had flushed and it was gone)

Most of this stuff has disappeared into thin air. I don't understand this.

My son, 8, has lost a water bottle and two games that go with his DS. He's the one with the executive functioning problems. He does have some teachers and aides who help keep track of his things. But he's actually not doing too bad. Much of the time, his things can be found.

But I'm stressing. They misplace things and lose things, and they seem to think I'm rich and can just go out and buy a replacement.

I can't believe that in less than six months, I have to go buy replacement glasses. Part of the problem is that my daughter doesn't like how she looks in the glasses, so she gets to camp and takes them off. Did I also mention that she's vain? Lol.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on helping the small children keep up with their things? I expect some things to be lost, but to me that's a LOT of things! Maybe I'm just expecting too much and I need to chill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Start ordering her glasses from one of those on-llne optical houses, for 9.99 a pair. Get them by the dozen and let her lose them.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I share your frustration. Neither of my boys (4 and 6) can even keep track of a pair of socks long enough to get them from upstairs to downstairs! This may seem like a silly question, but have you checked the lost and found at school? I know that doesn't fix the problem, but you might get some of your items back. Sorry I don't have any advice.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Start ordering her glasses from one of those on-llne optical houses, for 9.99 a pair. Get them by the dozen and let her lose them.
My son needs glasses. I've never heard of this. Are you serious?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Get her the athletic-type glasses -- they'll stay strapped on real nice!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Get her the athletic-type glasses -- they'll stay strapped on real nice!
That's a thought, but she would wail for days! Everything has to be pink (or at least purple) and pretty. I tried to get a chain for her glasses, but she didn't want them (read: they weren't pretty enough). But she's going to have to get a chain this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I will have to look into that! Thanks!

Rbk, thanks. I used to check the lost and found at her school, which was basically a huge wheeled fabric cart filled with clothing that smelled like dirty laundry, lunch boxes and backpacks. More good times.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
That's a thought, but she would wail for days! Everything has to be pink (or at least purple) and pretty. I tried to get a chain for her glasses, but she didn't want them (read: they weren't pretty enough). But she's going to have to get a chain this time!

I would print out that picture and let her know that if she loses another pair of glasses, those are the exact ones you will get for her next time, and she can cry about that if she feels that she needs to. If that is not enough of a deterrent to her misplacing her glasses again, I'd absolutely order the athletic ones.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
1. One pair of glasses (another pair is missing, but I don't know if it's her fault).
2. Two water bottles
3. Summer camp t-shirt
4. Martial arts uniform pants
5. Martial arts white belt
6. Eye patch (we're trying to correct a lazy eye here)
7. Backpack
8. Bracelet (she was going to the bathroom and it dropped into the toilet, and by the time she realized it, she had flushed and it was gone)
The glasses looks like is done on purpose. I would take to the store and point at the ugliest glasses and tell her "If you loose the pretty glasses again this will be the pair I'll buy you.
For the backpack, I would send her to school with a plastic grocery bag for a week. Then after buying a new backpack tell her that if she looses it again she will not get another one for the rest of the year.
She seems not to like martial arts so I would just stop the classes.
I guess the bracelet she was actually sorry about hence the story about how it happened.
Just some ideas. I wonder if other parents think I am mean.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:50 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I like the idea of the ugly glasses. I think there is somewhat of a chance that she is purposely losing her glasses. Not sure if she is old enough to think of that, but since you already know that she doesn't like to wear them... If the website for the $9.99 glasses works out for you, well it would be totally worth it to me to buy one or two ugly glasses to hammer home the fact that she can't just "lose" things she doens't like. You know, nip it in the butt.

But it is probably just her losing things and unfortunately I am no help. Overall, my sons have been pretty good. My oldest didn't even lose mittens when we lived in Michigan. I count myself severly lucky--although I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread, just in case that changes in the future!

How organized is her room and your house? Maybe working with her to organize her room will help her to organize her life outside of her room, too, resulting in less loss stuff.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I like the idea of the ugly glasses. I think there is somewhat of a chance that she is purposely losing her glasses. Not sure if she is old enough to think of that, but since you already know that she doesn't like to wear them... If the website for the $9.99 glasses works out for you, well it would be totally worth it to me to buy one or two ugly glasses to hammer home the fact that she can't just "lose" things she doens't like. You know, nip it in the butt.

But it is probably just her losing things and unfortunately I am no help. Overall, my sons have been pretty good. My oldest didn't even lose mittens when we lived in Michigan. I count myself severly lucky--although I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread, just in case that changes in the future!

How organized is her room and your house? Maybe working with her to organize her room will help her to organize her life outside of her room, too, resulting in less loss stuff.
Her room frequently looks like a bomb hit it. I will make her clean it up, but it doesn't take long at all to reach the chaotic status again. About once a month, while she and her brother are with their dad, I'll go in and straighten up well. Otherwise, I will tell her to straighten up once or twice a week.

The house itself can get junky, mainly because of the toys, Pokemon cards and books that are constantly strewn around. That's mostly my son's stuff. He does a little better, but not much. I think that my daughter sees my son's disorganization and behavior and thinks she can do the same things. She's not fully understanding that he has disabilities.

As for losing the glasses -- she was dying to have them, but she didn't like the way the affordable ones looked on her (they are wire frames and cute). So she doesn't like wearing them. But threatening to buy the truly ugly glasses is a good idea.

Since she lost the backpack, she carries a plastic grocery bag with her lunch in it. I haven't bought any more water bottles for her either.

Thanks for the tips so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting