U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,120,497 times
Default Question for Daycare Staff

I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question but i am curious. Besides putting them in a tub of water with a bit of bleach, how are toys typically cleaned in a daycare?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM

3,425 posts, read 5,633,402 times
Not a daycare person but my peds office runs the toys through the dishwasher along with sanitizing them.

Unread 08-07-2009, 03:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 12,518,294 times
I don't recall them getting cleaned at one place I worked at....

At the other, they would sometimes stick them in a tub for 'water time.' Otherwise..??

Unread 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,881,536 times
My state requires the bleach/hot water soak. I forget the raito for the soak, but it was for several hours to overninght. I believe it should be done once a week. There is also a bleach water solution (weaker than the soak) that should be sprayed on the toys at the end of each day.

With all the allergies and the sensitvite systems of small children, to use harsher chemicals could adversly effect the children.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

thanks. can i ask what state that is?
im only asking because i've seen in a daycare the toys wiped down with windex and paper towels. i asked about soaking them, they said that's too time consuming.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,613,319 times
There are specific guidelines for sanitizing in each state.
There is a difference between things being cleaned and things being sanitized. Things need to be cleaned before they are sanitized.

Most parents will never see the cleaning being done as it's typically done when the kids are either napping or while they are not in attendance.

There are two methods of sanitizing that are acceptable in our state, and I believe most others as well. Heat or chemical.

The heat of a dryer will suffice as a sanitizer of cloth items that have been washed. Also, dishwashers will also be acceptable as a sanitizer due to the heat (160 degrees) of the water used during the rinse cycle and the heated drying cycle. This may require a commercial dishwasher.

The chemical that is normally used is bleach (plain-not scented) as it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue so it's safe for all things kids play with. There are specific guidelines for the ratio of bleach to water, how to use and and for how long to soak. Some things can be sprayed with a bleach solution if they cannot be soaked. There are also hospital grade sanitizers that may be used.

Sanitizing with a chemical is a 4 step process. 1-wash with soap and water, 2. rinse, 3. sanitize by soak or spray 4 air dry (NOT with hot water as this causes the bleach to evaporate before it cannot sanitize)

Certain things have a time line as to how often they are to be sanitized. For instance, teething toys are to be sanitized after each use, individual cribs and crib sheets daily, toddler toys weekly and preschool toys monthly.

I'd certainly inquire as to your child care providers schedule and process of sanitization.

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 12,518,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
thanks. can i ask what state that is?
im only asking because i've seen in a daycare the toys wiped down with windex and paper towels. i asked about soaking them, they said that's too time consuming.
This is what I am saying..I worked in several preschools and I really do not recall ever personally cleaning the toys...maybe someone else did...

Maybe they did it once a year...

Preschools are very big places to get sick... The first week I taught in one, I got a horrible infection/cold..that was years before I had kid germ resistance.

Unread 08-07-2009, 08:43 PM

thanks for the info!

Unread 08-08-2009, 06:49 PM

4,892 posts, read 10,938,150 times
where i worked we cleaned it every day with a spray bottle that was half water half alcohol---every evening and during the day when needed....

Unread 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM

2,746 posts, read 8,999,699 times
Where I worked we cleaned toys with bleach water, tables too. There was more intensive cleaning done 2x a week by a separate cleaning crew though and I was never there for that. When *I* worked there as a cleaning person (before switching jobs within the school), I didn't have to do anything with the toys, just cleaned floors/kitchen/bathrooms. So I don't know, really.

We had dress up clothes that had to be washed regularly and the nap mats had to be wiped down with bleach water as well.

This was in a private school (Pre-k through 4th grade) so no babies.. the youngest were 2.5 and and no kids in diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting