U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM

201 posts, read 137,367 times
Default I want to homeschool but wife does not think she can do it.

I want to homeschool my kids. My wife knows this and she also agrees we should. But she thinks she can not teach the kids the things they need, I finished 8th grade and failed 9th and finally got my GED I am very smart but just could not deal with public school. My wife Finished the 12th grade but because she failed a exit exam by 6 points in math the government in the state she went to school in refused to let her actually graduate. Is there any way I can convince her that she can teach the kids? We have a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old so it will be a while before both will be in school.What are my other options besides sending them to government school? Is there programs or options out there where we can teach them at home with the help of a program or something? I have looked at the HSLDA and I know the laws and everything but I still am lacking in what exactly my options are.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,185,540 times
You might look at something like Texas Tech's K-12 homeschooling option. You don't have to live in Texas. TTUISD Handbook :: College of Outreach & Distance Education :: Texas Tech University.

How about you homeschool the kids since you have the desire and passion and she go out and be the breadwinner?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,667,776 times
What are your reasons for wanting to homeschool if you don't mind my asking? Have you thought about social activities for the kids if they are homeschooled? Physical education? Field trips? Scheduling the study time and school work into the day?

I have two kids, one is 20 and went public school all the way and graduated. One is 16 and will be graduating early, he has one semester left of school, he is homeschooled. I've only homeschooled him the last couple of years .

I think if the two of you homeschool you will likely learn along with the kids and advance as they do in the schoolwork. I know in our school, we use a charter school and meet with a teacher every two to three weeks, there is always the teacher if you have questions.

But make sure your kids will get enough interaction, play groups, sport or dance, anything to get them active and with other kids. It's great to be book smart but the social skills have to be nurtured also. I don't think I would have homeschooled my kids from day one because going to school imho is a normal part of growing up and learning to interact. Kids learn to share and get along and how to be friends early on in school and I think it is important in human growth to learn those skills too.

I think it could be fine as long as everything is well rounded. I do think the two of you would likely be ok with the lessons and if they become too difficult for either of you, I think you could ask for a tutor or help from an instructor to fill in any gaps.

In the charter school we have books for the classes just like regular school and we are given a list of assignments and when they will be due. It is then up to the parent and studen to make sure the school time is scheduled and the child completes the work. We also take the child to any regular testing and our child took the exit exam just as any other student would (we are in Ca.). There is some flexibility also which is nice. For example, my son and I both took a painting night class together at the college and it counted as an elective for him in high school.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,841,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot14 View Post
I finished 8th grade and failed 9th and finally got my GED I am very smart but just could not deal with public school. My wife Finished the 12th grade but because she failed a exit exam by 6 points in math the government in the state she went to school in refused to let her actually graduate. .

I would suggest that since you have a few years before your oldest needs to begin school, that your wife (since she made it much farther in school than you did!) go back to school and get a college degree in education.

If she applies herself diligently, she can do it in 4 years, and be much better prepared to take on the enormous task of educating your children. If you as parents are not willing to do this, then you have no business educating your children and should send them to a regular school.

Last edited by jeannie216; 08-11-2009 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,988,996 times
Teaching is not an easy thing to do. Not everyone has what it takes to be a teacher. I have an advance degree and I do not feel capable of teaching. I can not bring myself to the level of a young child when it comes to basic math or reading.
It sound like you have issues with the education you received but that doesn't mean your kids will have the same experience. You can send them to school for a few years to learn the basics and then homeschool them.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM

10,040 posts, read 14,356,895 times
Don't do it. It sounds like a bad idea. Homeschooling can be a great option in the right circumstances, but if your wife doesn't feel comfortable doing it then please don't try to force her or convince her to do so. I don't homeschool, but it's not the sort of thing you do casually. I agree with suzie02; sounds like you had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean that you should automatically assume that all schools are going to provide a bad experience. Given your situation, I think you'd be best off at least giving public school a try.

I know homeschooling can be a controversial topic, but while I think you could probably handle homeschooling at the elementary level (although not if your wife isn't on board with the idea 100%) I don't think, based on your own educational experiences, you're qualified to teach your kids as they get to junior high or high school, even with the help of tutors or curriculums (unless you get a lot of tutors, which sort of stops being homeschooling in the way I think about it, I guess). I'm not suggesting that you're not both smart people, or competent, but at the higher grade the topics, at least to be taught well, require a lot of additional subject study, and it's the very rare person who is qualified to teach everything from calculus to Roman history to Shakespeare to advanced physics. I know I certainly couldn't do it. I would imagine it would be even harder since neither of you has a college education or a successful academic track record. Again, that doesn't mean you're not smart, but some of that just takes a lot of time, discussion, and sometimes special equipment, and I'm assuming that you probably didn't have the luxury of spending your post-school years doing extensive independent study.

I don't know your reasons for wanting to homeschool, but you can always supplement public school with your own lessons in the summer or during non-school hours. School is only one component of a child's education, and you and your wife will have many opportunities to shape their development, educational and otherwise, regardless of whether you homeschool or go with the public/private school route.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 AM

3,559 posts, read 9,269,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot14 View Post
I want to homeschool my kids. My wife knows this and she also agrees we should. But she thinks she can not teach the kids the things they need, I finished 8th grade and failed 9th and finally got my GED I am very smart but just could not deal with public school. My wife Finished the 12th grade but because she failed a exit exam by 6 points in math the government in the state she went to school in refused to let her actually graduate.....
She didn't graduate because she failed the math - doesn't matter whether it's 6 points or 1! She (and you) failed to meet the minimum score to finish school/9th grade. Your qualifications to properly educate these sweet innocent children to be able to live and thrive in this world are what exactly?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 AM

2,229 posts, read 3,785,584 times
Many private schools--especially religous ones--provide full scholarships. I agree with the previous posters about everyone's school experience being different. Perhaps you truly have horrible schools in your area. If you are just trepid based from your past experiences, begin talking with other parents with children in the school system already to see how they like the school, it's strong and weak points, which teachers are better, etc.

I wouldn't push such a huge commitment on someone that doesn't want to do it. However, if she is on the fence, she can begin with teaching your oldest a normal, preschool curriculm. At minimum, it would include recognizing the ABCs, the numbers 1-10, colors, shapes, begining writing. If your child is really picking things up, then start on letter sounds. Planning out a preschool curriculm will also help her not only realize if she is capable of homeschooling (homeschooling and taking care of a younger child which can be difficult!), but if it is something she really wants to take on. Then there is no harm done if she decides that she just doesn't/can't do it.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,173,754 times
I'd ask you to focus on assessment of what you want for your children. What they may want in the future? They will become their own individuals and you are providing merely a foundation upon which they will move forward in their own right.

Without boring you of my personal details, we chose to have our children attend public school supplemented with home school and tutoring. Our approach need not be yours.

There are attributes quite positive of a wholelistic approach. Take the benefit of all that is available to provide the optimal environment for learning.

Not all that is important can be learned from a book, most important of these being happiness. But it sure is difficult to be happy when you cannot achieve.

Best of luck in your choice and remember no choice in permanent, you can always adjust.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,908,328 times
It sounds like neither you nor your wife are prepared to homeschool. Send the kids to public school. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting