U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 AM

942 posts, read 2,329,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I will be praying for your son and your family. Raising teen-agers is one of the hardest, most challenging things...You make decisions and "second guess yourself" all the time. One thing that seemed that helped our son when he was going through a "challenging time" was to steer him more towards "hanging with" kids from our church and less towards some of his peers who were also making bad choices. This might backfire with some kids but at one point, we actually had to forbid him to see certain friends anymore. I don't know if you are religious at all, but a church youth group was very helpful for us. (They reinforced a lot of the moral choices we were advocating at home as well as providing some positive friends for our son.)Hang in there.

Both of our older sons go to church with us regularly and are active in our youth group. My older son goes to two different youth groups because he is still feeling out which denomination he wants to be active in. They have both invited Daniel with them he went a few times and says its boring and refuses to go. We attend church regularly. Daniel however does not like church and has to be dragged so I do not make him go to youth group because I don't want him to HATE religion with his rebellion. I feel the Lord will touch his heart in due time. I keep on praying for this.

Last edited by Pixie Dust; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,436,787 times
Pixie,
What a exhausting ordeal to go through yesterday. Thankfully, I do believe that the Lord gave you all the strength you needed and will continue to need in the future. I have faith in you and your son that everything will work out in the end.
Until then, take it one day at a time, and my prayers are still with you.
<hugs>

Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 AM

I have a family meeting with Daniel's therapist at 1pm today I believe he will be released. I have had terriable days behind me and dont know what to expect in the days to come. I have spent lots of time comming and going to the hospital for visits and therapy and it breaks my heart to think that Daniel is in there. The children there are worse off than he is and I fear that perhaps I did not do the correct thing. I haven't slept in days and am fidgity and legs shaking I look like an addict. I wish I could sleep for atleast five hours. I feel drained emotionally and physically. I am rambling on perhaps for an incline of wisdom. Not sure anymore.

Last edited by Pixie Dust; 04-28-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,661,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
I have a family meeting with Daniel's therapist at 1pm today I believe he will be released. I haev had terriable days behind me and dont know what to espect in the days to come. I have spent lots of time comming and going to the hospital for visits and therapy and it breaks my heart to think that Daniel is in there. The children there are wrse off than he is and I fear thet perhaps I did not do the correct thing. I haven't slpert in days and am fidgity and legs shaking I look like an addict. I wish I could sleep for atleast five hours. I feel drained emotionally and physically. I am rambling on perhaps for an incline of wisdom. Not sure anymore.
You needed to know for sure whether it was psycological or not. And maybe, he has realized how much you love him by doing so.
Nobody knows if what they do is the right thing in child rearing. There is no handbook. You have to go with your heart.
Ahhh, if we could only know what the future is going to bring.
Stay strong, whatever tomorrow brings! I wish I had the answers for you.
You will now know what is causing his behavior, and be able to try a different approach.
Kids will rebel. I think most of us have growing up. Not saying its acceptable, but seems to be part of being a teenager. I know the harder I push a subject, the more battle I get. If I simply state my feelings, give my son time to digest it, he kind of accepts it, but may not like it. I have a temper and sometime might go to far. Thats when my husband pulls me aside and makes me see things from a different angle.
I really feel for you.
My prayers are with you and your family!
Get some sleep, you will need it. Try 1 Tylenol P.M. It is important you get some sleep for your own health. You will need the strength.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 AM

550 posts, read 2,542,339 times
Pixi Dust,

You have done the best thing for Daniel. Please don't ever question if you have done the right thing. The professionals are able to help him in ways he needs right now to keep him safe. ADHD in itself is emotionally hard to deal with let alone having to make these painful decisions. You are a fantastic, caring parent. It will get better because of your love for him. I wish you all the strength in the world to help you through this hard time.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 AM

I would just like to say thank you to ALL. The overwhelming responses, prayers and advice that I have received from my CD family have been , to say the least, heartfelt appreciated.

Daniel came home on medication; Abilify. It is used for schizoprenia and some measures of bipolar. He still has not been medicated for ADHD because he has an existing cardiac problems and cannot use some medications and some just haven't worked for him. The Abilify was not covered by our insurance and we had to pay 458.00 for his months supply. I will continue him on this medication because he seems better on it. He is not zombied out which was my concern and he has not been strogling with authority. He actually has not complained about the meds which is our biggest problem with Daniel. Tomorrow he will begin school and I have my fingers crossed with many prayers that all will go well. He was not angry about being hospitalized; I thought he would HATE me because of it and i dont see that. He liked his psychiatrist which is AMAZING because he usually does not like eny of them. Problem is that psychiatrist might not be able to take him because he has to many patients. I begged the secretary hoping that he will be accepted. I should receive the call today.

I am hoping that we are on the right track with him. I love him dearly and only want his happiness and for him to be a positive member of society.

Again I thank you all from the bottem of my heart...thank you!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,436,787 times
Pixie, that's great that things are taking a step in a good direction. You and your family deserve it!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM

464 posts, read 686,289 times
Pixie, so happy to hear that Daniel is doing better, I hope things keep going forward. Remember that you are doing what you think is best for him thats your job don't second guess yourself.
Good Luck!
T

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,780,086 times
You and your family will continue to be in our prayers!

-Hoosier

Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM

464 posts, read 686,289 times
Pixie,
How is your son doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or