Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I can't really add much to what has been said.
Your problem is with your husband. I bet all the signs were there before you got married but you failed to look for them. Honest to gawd, don't people ever talk to each other before they get married anymore?
Anyone who is thinking of getting married, please examine the family of the person you are marrying. Their behavior will not get better after you marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I have a wonderful daughter in law who I consider a dear friend. We have almost always gotten along. However, once....about 5 years ago...she and I got into a heated disagreement concerning a holiday celebration (what else is new?) Before it got too far out of hand, my son just said; "Mother, stop right now. I love you but you need to understand that this is my wife and I will always take her side so you are outnumbered and can not win this arguement." That was the end of that and I must say I have seldom been more proud of my son than I was that day. Your husband needs to just make it clear to his mother and sister that when it comes to their going against his wife it is a situation in which they can never win. He might be surprised that they will have new found respect for him as a man if he did this.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
It is said we teach those in our life how to treat us. I've found this to be true. Not easy, but true.

I wish you luck. It's time for your husband to be a man. I suspect if he does, he'll feel so much better about himself that he'll wonder why he didn't do it sooner.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM

162 posts, read 503,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have a wonderful daughter in law who I consider a dear friend. We have almost always gotten along. However, once....about 5 years ago...she and I got into a heated disagreement concerning a holiday celebration (what else is new?) Before it got too far out of hand, my son just said; "Mother, stop right now. I love you but you need to understand that this is my wife and I will always take her side so you are outnumbered and can not win this arguement." That was the end of that and I must say I have seldom been more proud of my son than I was that day. Your husband needs to just make it clear to his mother and sister that when it comes to their going against his wife it is a situation in which they can never win. He might be surprised that they will have new found respect for him as a man if he did this.

I WISH I had a MIL like YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!! My MIL would have went off the deep end.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM

162 posts, read 503,859 times
I read all these quotes and it seems like the hubbys are really getting hit hard with the criticism. My husband does not put up with his mothers tantrums and he is able to tell her very matter of factly how it is BUT, he has a brother that is ALWAYS in the middle of his mother and his wife. The wife is just as nuts as the mother and I feel so badly for him. He hates to be in the middle and they are both notorious for putting him there. I try to just be aware of how she is and overlook a lot of the things she does and says but my sister in law goes nuts over everything and it really puts a strain on the relationship between my BIL and her. I think sometimes, especially if the mothers are older and maybe a little nutty (like mine) we should just ignore most of the things they do for the sanity of our husbands and ourselves.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

43 posts, read 326,061 times
I would suggest that you visit babycenter.com and go to their Dealing with the Inlaws message board to get even more support telling you that your husband needs to put you first, because he's clearly not doing that.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post
I WISH I had a MIL like YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!! My MIL would have went off the deep end.
Mine too; she'd have passive-aggressively cut us out of her life. Looking back that would not have been a terrible thing; she's a horrible person.

I'm glad SOMEONE'S husband has guts. My ex sure didn't!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetntx View Post
I would suggest that you visit babycenter.com and go to their Dealing with the Inlaws message board to get even more support telling you that your husband needs to put you first, because he's clearly not doing that.
Better than that: Mother-In-Law Stories and Mother-In-Law Jokes
(actually, whomever created the site needs to take the "Jokes" part out. I think I've seen 1 joke on there the 6 or 7 years I've hung around. It's all about support)

Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When you realize that the reason they are acting like this is jealousy, it can get a little easier. They know you are more socially educated. Be the bigger person and let your husband live in peace. I know this is strange advice, but it worked for me. But you can be your own person. If he is going to their homes and you don't feel like being a punching bag that day, don't go. Let him have his time with them, alone. When he is the one they are giving the third degree and trying to boss around, he will chose to be with them less and less. He knows what they are, he just doesn't have the strength to deal with them. I think you do, but keep it between you and them. The only way to fight with women like this is not to fight at all. They will always win a fight, because they have no class. Your way of fighting is to out class them and this should not be hard. Don't let them drag you down to their level. Keep being your well mannered self and no it is not easy, but the reward is worth it. Been there, done that and won!

Just remember: You have to take the mothers and sisters you are given. Wives are chosen and he chose you. Be his Queen.

Last edited by NCN; 11-15-2007 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM

100 posts, read 425,752 times
You can't control them But don't make there problems yours. As for your hubby he needs to put on the big boy pants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting