Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

I somehow managed to do shenanigans without modern technology. I must have been a genius!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hardly. My kids did, and do have cell phones. The cell phones don't cause problems. There is nothing they could text that couldn't be said on the phone or via email, as I never had reason to listen in or read their personal correspondence.

Cell phones have never been allowed at our dinner table, so the chances of them texting to make hookup plans while the rest of the family dines are nil.

I know their girlfriends, and the parents of those girlfriends. I don't leave a lot to chance, but I would not be so naive as to think eliminating texting would eliminate risk.
You know i can't even remember any of my friends asking me to cover for them over stuff. They went on dates, had bf's over but i don't remember any of them going over friends houses to have guys over.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, and again, this is because people are so inherently evil that they must be monitored and redirected or they will turn into mass murderers. They have no intrinsic goodness or judgment.
And then we will wind up with an entire generation of adults who never develop judgement because they were not allowed. Their parents think that age 18 they will magically develop good judgement because they are 18 and thus "old enough". Ugh. Kids need to practice making decisions and having judgement in order to learn how to do it.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I firmly believe that we were better off back when there were no cell phones and no internet.

Billy had to call "my daughter" on the house line - and it was understood that anything said could be heard by me (dad).

Now, parents hand their kids pipelines to the world, exposing them to everyone, 24/7. etc.

It's NOT a good thing. Even for your 17 year old boy or girl.......giving them a line to the outside world while they are in their bedroom at 2 am is NOT a good thing.

yes, they are going to be able to text regardless, but they will know that I will be able to see what they are doing. I simply will not allow them to own a device that doesn't report back to me. There are very advanced programs out there that will send you a daily report (every min of every day if you want to) of ANYTHING that goes on when your kid is using the computer and cell phone. I will be forward with my kids in telling them that I'm watching and when they are 18 and away at college then I will not monitor anymore. Hopefully by that time I will have helped them to see the SLIMEballs out there.
You know most teens text each other about completely benign things. Like where they are meeting for the movie, what they should wear, that they will be running late because their mother "found" chores for them to do, etc.....

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You know most teens text each other about completely benign things. Like where they are meeting for the movie, what they should wear, that they will be running late because their mother "found" chores for them to do, etc.....
So so so true momma bear

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
So so so true momma bear

Maybe in your tiny experience with your kids, but I can tell you for a fact that when you look at it from a larger more global scale (from the viewpoint I have)... what you said is not true.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Maybe in your tiny experience with your kids, but I can tell you for a fact that when you look at it from a larger more global scale (from the viewpoint I have)... what you said is not true.
Care to share what your global scale viewpoint is?

You hanging at the Spanish Steps looking over kids' shoulders to see what they text?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
From the larger scale it rarely happens as most kids can tell their parents most things. Does that means kids never misbehave or there are not some kids that lie all the time? No of course not however that is the exception not the rule. If you think kids sit around planning elaborate schemes with their gf's to get bf's over then you don't know many teen girls. And what exactly 'global' viewpoint do you possess that us peons down here seem to lack?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Care to share what your global scale viewpoint is?

You hanging at the Spanish Steps looking over kids' shoulders to see what they text?
I'm not at liberty to discuss..

Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not at liberty to discuss..
So we are supposed to believe that you are aware of some global conspiracy but you can't tell us how you know? I'm sorry but I will have to go with the many teens I know in real life and the absolutely boring text messages most of them send about where they are going, who is going, what to wear, have you studied for the test, etc......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting