Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM

398 posts, read 729,087 times

Advertisements

Here is my dilemma, I currently leave in Florida and I am dying to relocate for many reasons, jobs, education, crime etc. I have shared the info with my kids 17 and 12 and they are devastated of the though that they might leave their school and school mates. Am I being selfish with my plans? I think about my kid’s sadness and think that. Has anybody been in this situation?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
We moved from Fl to NC two years ago for a better job. My kids were 18, 15, and 6. The oldest was not a problem because he was off to college in NC anyway. My 15 year old was okay with the idea until we actually got a job and were packing the house. I think she was more terrified of starting over than anything else. I can tell you that moving to a different high school is not easy. If I were you, I would wait until your 17 yr old graduates. I am guessing he/she is going to be a senior? That's got to be the worst time to move a child. If at all possible, meaning you aren't going to lose you house or something. wait till the end of the school year.

The 12 year old will adjust. Find a good school and get there before school starts in the fall. Be kind and understanding for at least a year. It takes time to make new friends and friends are the most important things in life at this age. There will be good days and bad days but eventually life will go on.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Parents and kids move every day. Yes, they'll be upset, but they'll get over it.

However, I see you have a 17 year old. If this child is in his/her senior year of high school, I'd stay until he/she graduated.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
We moved from Fl to NC two years ago for a better job. My kids were 18, 15, and 6. The oldest was not a problem because he was off to college in NC anyway. My 15 year old was okay with the idea until we actually got a job and were packing the house. I think she was more terrified of starting over than anything else. I can tell you that moving to a different high school is not easy. If I were you, I would wait until your 17 yr old graduates. I am guessing he/she is going to be a senior? That's got to be the worst time to move a child. If at all possible, meaning you aren't going to lose you house or something. wait till the end of the school year.

The 12 year old will adjust. Find a good school and get there before school starts in the fall. Be kind and understanding for at least a year. It takes time to make new friends and friends are the most important things in life at this age. There will be good days and bad days but eventually life will go on.
Yes, that is the plan for him to finish his senior year. Thank you!
Lucky you could move and hope I can do that too.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Unless, you have his/her ideal college to get into that one year in state will make a huge difference in tuition.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Unless, you have his/her ideal college to get into that one year in state will make a huge difference in tuition.
Because we were not residents of the new state for a certain time?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
Because we were not residents of the new state for a certain time?
It usually takes a year to be considered for in state tuition. We paid out of state for over a year with my oldest. Make sure you do things like change your car registrations, drivers license, voters registration, and the like right away. Almost everything is based on the date you do these things. Also keep track of the exact day you are hired for a new job and the day you sign a lease or contract on a house. We made in state tuition by 2 days for the spring semester. Had we moved those two days later we would have had a whole semester more of out of state. You ususally can't change in the middle of a semester so every day counts if you are close to the beginning of a new term.

Where are you headed?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The residence requirements for tuition vary from state to state. Often, community colleges have much less restrictive rules, so if the state you move to is hardnosed, there might be a community college where he can get credits before transferring to a 4-year school.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
It usually takes a year to be considered for in state tuition. We paid out of state for over a year with my oldest. Make sure you do things like change your car registrations, drivers license, voters registration, and the like right away. Almost everything is based on the date you do these things. Also keep track of the exact day you are hired for a new job and the day you sign a lease or contract on a house. We made in state tuition by 2 days for the spring semester. Had we moved those two days later we would have had a whole semester more of out of state. You ususally can't change in the middle of a semester so every day counts if you are close to the beginning of a new term.

Where are you headed?
Considered Charlotte or Raleigh but I think it will be Dallas.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
Here is my dilemma, I currently leave in Florida and I am dying to relocate for many reasons, jobs, education, crime etc. I have shared the info with my kids 17 and 12 and they are devastated of the though that they might leave their school and school mates. Am I being selfish with my plans? I think about my kid’s sadness and think that. Has anybody been in this situation?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I remember being a teen, and I would have been devastated to have to move at that age. Kids go through a phase where friends are as important, if not more important to them than their family. I would never voluntarily move while my kids are in high school, and would try hard to avoid it up until then. I would at the very least let the 17 year old finish HS first, then maybe move before the 12 year old starts HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting