Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
he is obviously more intelligent and bored than anything else. does he play sports? maybe if he was distracted with something else thereby limiting his time for studies, he would prioritize better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Boredom. Sounds just like me at his age, and I remember being utterly bored with school. It just wasn't a challenge.
Exactly what I was thinking. When you don't have enough to do and are not challenged, it can be difficult to get anything done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTess View Post
I would love some ideas or suggestions about how do other parents deal with teenagers who underachieve.

He is 16 and he is in all AP/IB classes this upcoming year. He has a high IQ however, he does very little studying or working on projects. He has procrastinated last quarter by failing 2 chemistry exams, making a 75 on the last exam, then decides to study for the semester final one week before.... and gets a 99. He says he was prioritizing his efforts in other areas/subjects. He is very notorius for completing assignments the night before and creating a house full of drama.

We already have a rule about negative grades means loss of priviledges and though he grumbles.... this style seems to continue.

If he's in all AP/IB classes, I don't think he's doing all that poorly and you have to realize his days living with you are coming to a quick close. He'll soon be gone. How do you really want your last 2-3 years with him to be?

His style seems to be working okay, he can procrastinate and then get a 99, but you might remind him that in college it might not always be like that.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Both my husband and I talked about this issue and we both learned exactly how much to do in high school to do "well enough" and then no more. Hubby would have flunked out but his Regents exam results in NY were so high they had to give him good grades. High school was not challenging enough. Is there any way he can enroll in some local college classes? Do independent study with some of his teachers?

A kid we knew did the later and it worked well but it has to be his work and not yours. I would have enjoyed the local college classes since they would have given me a challenge.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
It is no reflection on you that he is not getting A's....it's his choice. LOL.... I've done the same thing...stressed out like crazy because my kids are stressed due to their procrastination....sigh. Just let go....it's not your fault and you're obviously stressing more than he is. Perhaps he needs that adrenaline rush to get inspired to do the assignment. Please don't help him by doing it for him.....remind him a few times ahead of time and as someone already said, GO TO BED!! Don't set up a pattern of being an enabler at this young age. I have seen that so many times with parents... Your child has to learn that there are consequences for their actions. Please don't deprive him of those much needed lessons because you feel the need for him to be on the honor roll. He'll be okay..... or he won't....but remember, it is his life and his choices to make....and his consequences to bear.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
He sounds exactly like me, I just turned 17 in May, I used to be exactly like that my average stayed in the 60's/70's then jumped to around 90 at the end of the year, I was bored in school. I had to go to Summer school last year for being like that but I didn't fully learn my lesson.

This year I crammed essays, 2 projects, unfinished homework, etc. into the last weekend before school was over, I had finals, a regents (state test), and the SAT. I was so stressed I forgot the SAT. I learned my lesson and I know better for next year.

Bottom line if nothing you do works out he'll learn his lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting