Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times

Advertisements

We used the "big girl" approach. Around 18 months, my dd liked to play with little Care Bear figures with her brother. If she wanted to play with them, then no pacifier. It went on the top of the entertainment center while she was playing. Eventually, that led to longer spurts of time that she'd forget to ask for it after. About age 2, I got a little tougher and told her they were for naps and bedtime ONLY so if she had it in her mouth, then she had to go lie down. She soon got tired of having to lie down several times during the day. After that, I told her I wouldn't buy anymore and she had to find one if she wanted it. (She would "lose" it during the night) That worked (mostly - I gave in and helped search though a few times at least). About 2 1/2 she was potty trained, and we had several discussions about what a 'big girl' was.

I bribed her in the end with a new toy - I think it was a Dora bathtime doll.

She did have one hidden for a couple weeks after that though- I knew about it, but didn't mention it, as long as she pulled it out and "hid" it when I went in to tuck her in. One day, I took it out of her room during the day and put it in a drawer (for emergency use ), but she never asked for it again.

My ds was easier and was off it by the age of 7 months. But he'd never used it as often as she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pacifiers: The basics | BabyCenter

Most babies have a strong sucking reflex. Some babies even suck their thumbs or fingers before they're born. Beyond nutrition, sucking often has a soothing, calming effect.

And some kids don't lose that strong need early though many do.
I never knew that, and didn't think much about it because my only daughter just spit it out from day one so it was a non-issue. I always thought pacifiers were to keep the kid quiet for the parents' benefit. I don't recall pacifiers being around when we were kids (thinking of my younger brothers who I remember as babies in 1966/69.)

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never knew that, and didn't think much about it because my only daughter just spit it out from day one so it was a non-issue. I always thought pacifiers were to keep the kid quiet for the parents' benefit. I don't recall pacifiers being around when we were kids (thinking of my younger brothers who I remember as babies in 1966/69.)

Thanks.
Pacifiers were around even in the 60s.

Pacifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Pacifiers where invented by Joaquin Martinez in the mid 1300's after long nights of not sleeping with his new born. [1] and in England in the 17th–19th centuries, a coral meant a teething toy made of coral, ivory or bone, often mounted in silver as the handle of a rattle. [2] A museum curator has suggested that these substances were used as "sympathetic magic"[3] and that the animal bone could symbolize animal strength to help the child cope with pain.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
All three of my boys loved their "nonnies". The oldest took the longest to give it up, he probably used it until he was 3. The other two dropped them a bit earlier.

Neither my pediatrician nor our dentist saw any harm with them. In fact, the dentist said they actually helped retard tooth decay by keeping the teeth rinsed with saliva while they slept. I don't know if that's true, but none of the boys has ever had a cavity, nor did they need braces.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Wean as early as the child allows it. My oldest gave hers up around 2 yrs old. It was lost and that was that. No fight. The 4 yr old will scream bloody murder if she wants it. I figure she'll ditch it when she's good and ready. She does without all day at daycare. It's just a matter of making her understand she doesn't need it at home either.

DH and I are just not always up to fighting with a very persistent 4 yr old and cave with her on a lot of issues. Not good, I know...

Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pacifiers were around even in the 60s.

Pacifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure they were. I just don't recall my baby brothers having pacifiers. It may be that my mother just didn't use them.

Pacifiers where invented by Joaquin Martinez in the mid 1300's after long nights of not sleeping with his new born. [1] and in England in the 17th–19th centuries, a coral meant a teething toy made of coral, ivory or bone, often mounted in silver as the handle of a rattle. [2] A museum curator has suggested that these substances were used as "sympathetic magic"[3] and that the animal bone could symbolize animal strength to help the child cope with pain.

Interesting!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Hate them...and they look awful on toddlers...why would anyone stick them in their kids mouth especially when their teeth are coming in??? UGH

Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Wean as early as the child allows it. My oldest gave hers up around 2 yrs old. It was lost and that was that. No fight. The 4 yr old will scream bloody murder if she wants it. I figure she'll ditch it when she's good and ready. She does without all day at daycare. It's just a matter of making her understand she doesn't need it at home either.

DH and I are just not always up to fighting with a very persistent 4 yr old and cave with her on a lot of issues. Not good, I know...
Lord help you when she is a very persistent teenager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting