Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That poster is an instigator and has no evidence. The poster does this sort of thing all the time and never has anything to back up. The poster purposely goes to the extreme to watch the reaction.

And credit due to most on this thread b/c it stayed very polite throughout...and that must have bored this poster who wanted to stir things up.

Really, Danielle, you are wasting your time trying to get a straight answer...I highly doubt ANY doctor says "Hmm, I have no heck what killed the baby...I don't know, maybe say it was SIDS? What the heck!"... As for shaken baby syndrome...again, this poster is just stirring up the pot.....

SIDS is heartbreaking. How can it not be. They say that losing a child is pure heartache, I could never imagine losing an infant to something like SIDS...that has to be the worst pain imaginable. And I don't think Miasmommy (as nutty as she is sometimes ) was posing anything more than what many have gone through and just figure out how to wean her child off the darn thing! My answer is still a strong "throw them out".
Actually, there have been countless cases of shaken baby syndrom over turned.

As for SIDS, our first nearly died of it. I awoke to a strange sound. I laid there for a moment and finally chalked it up to DH snoring and started to dose when I heard our daughter choking and sputtering, then stop and she had stopped moving and had gone absolutely quiet, no more breathing. I grabbed her in my hands and started to squeeze her chest, while DH finally woke up to get the light. I was able to save her life and I tucked her in close to me so I could feel her stuggling in case it happened again because I was fearful that next time I might not hear her. If she had been in a room, or her bed not right next to me, I would have never heard her. She would have just died "mysteriously." Turns out sleeping on her back was not right for her and she had to sleep on her side so she would choke on spit up or her tongue, the little wedge to hold her in place had kept her from rolling over and saving herself. I think that a lot of SIDS cases could be prevented if the baby were closer to its mother where her instinct would wake her in the night over little sounds like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post

As for SIDS, our first nearly died of it. I awoke to a strange sound. I laid there for a moment and finally chalked it up to DH snoring and started to dose when I heard our daughter choking and sputtering, then stop and she had stopped moving and had gone absolutely quiet, no more breathing. I grabbed her in my hands and started to squeeze her chest, while DH finally woke up to get the light. I was able to save her life and I tucked her in close to me so I could feel her stuggling in case it happened again because I was fearful that next time I might not hear her. If she had been in a room, or her bed not right next to me, I would have never heard her. She would have just died "mysteriously." Turns out sleeping on her back was not right for her and she had to sleep on her side so she would choke on spit up or her tongue, the little wedge to hold her in place had kept her from rolling over and saving herself. I think that a lot of SIDS cases could be prevented if the baby were closer to its mother where her instinct would wake her in the night over little sounds like that.

That would not be SIDS. Sorry.
Choking and aspirating contents is not a finding of SIDS.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:

Seriously, do you think anyone believes you?
Your stories are getting more & more ridiculous by the post.
And if for some reason you think preying on parents and using SIDS stories as humor or grabbing someone's attention...there is a mental health forum that may be more suited for you.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I seriously hope you are not trying to say that SIDS could be stopped if mothers were more "in tune" with their babies...because that's kind of what you sound like at this point.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
My little one has been binky free since Saturday morning!!!!

She has still cried for it and yelled so lound my ears are sore, but I instist that "binky has gone night night."

Hopefully it gets better day by day. So far not looking good but it's only been a couple of days.

To Becky, I do believe that I also have read from many sources that Pacis help prevent SIDS because it keeps the baby from falling asleep so deeply that they stop breathing? Something like that. I also read that having a fan going lightly in the room when they sleep helps the air circulate keeps the air flowing much easier in those little lungs. Breastfeeding lowers the risk, keeping away from smoke and and household chemicals and keeping them on their backs all help! Some people also believe that keeping away from vaccines the first couple of months helps as well. I held off until month 3 then the nights when she got a few I slept with her in my arms

I really don't mean to start debates. Seems like everytime I start a thread it gets all heated. I like good conversation I just hate when one person is against the rest. I don't agree AT ALL with Becky but I get uncomfortable when everyone is up on ONE.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I guess I tend to get a bit weak in the knees when my little girl is begging with tears in her eyes for something. Especially when it really doesn't hurt me or her or anyone around her you know. But like I said, I'm going to see where it goes. If it keeps messing with her sleep for a couple of days I'm going to give it to her at nap/bed time for a while more and THEN end it definitely by 2. We will see.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
To Becky, I do believe that I also have read from many sources that Pacis help prevent SIDS because it keeps the baby from falling asleep so deeply that they stop breathing? Something like that. I also read that having a fan going lightly in the room when they sleep helps the air circulate keeps the air flowing much easier in those little lungs. Breastfeeding lowers the risk, keeping away from smoke and and household chemicals and keeping them on their backs all help! Some people also believe that keeping away from vaccines the first couple of months helps as well. I held off until month 3 then the nights when she got a few I slept with her in my arms
Yes, this is also my understanding. It is the same effect as breastfeeding while co-sleeping. It's not the pacifier itself, it's the sucking while sleeping. And anything that keeps the baby from sleeping too deeply - ie back-sleeping, fan in the room.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
They were very popular with high school kids recently.

It depends on the child. Supposedly it can be mentally damaging to force them to stop too soon.

We just let them stop on their own. They just lose interest eventually. Although our 9 year old still sucks his thumb occaisionally. It is his way of dealing with stress. His teeth are fine.

We always claled them plugs and I think that they are a wonderful way to create silence in place of screaming.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
Start reading the book, "Bye, Bye Pacifer". Can't hurt.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM

133 posts, read 627,020 times
Quote:

Should have given her a pacy, how neglectful.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Mine never took pacifiers, so I don't know. Just do it before they have to remove it to talk! That's annoying IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting