U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,244,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I have a sister that used to be like that when we were kids. Something about school actually DID make her feel sick everyday. She disliked it that much. No joke... the whole family knew it. She would say she was sick, she's start sweating, etc. Almost like having panic attacks. She hated it.

My advice? Homeschool! Why make a kid go to a place so many hours a week when he obviously doesn't like it or want to be there. Something there just doesn't click with him. Look into homeschooling. Find a homeschooling group / organization in your area. He'll be much happier and do better.
If thats your idea of good parenting then good for you. I respect that. However "QUOTE" Why make a kid go to a place so many hours a week when he obviously doesn't like it or want to be there. "QUOTE". Well, because that's life. We all do things that we dont want to do. I go to work when I dont want to, meetings, clean house, cut the lawn etc. I personally dont support home school because a child misses out on social activities and memories that will last forever such as prom, football games and more. THey dont get the socail interaction that is much needed in todays society. Sure, they may go to home school group. That is not the interaction all day every day that they will encounter in the real world. Kids are little people, they need to interact and be involved. Thats society. You cant hold them back or shelter them from things they want to do. You are asking for trouble. This is not a personal atack on you, just my outlook on society and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,758,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
If thats your idea of good parenting then good for you. I respect that. However "QUOTE" Why make a kid go to a place so many hours a week when he obviously doesn't like it or want to be there. "QUOTE". Well, because that's life. We all do things that we dont want to do. I go to work when I dont want to, meetings, clean house, cut the lawn etc. I personally dont support home school because a child misses out on social activities and memories that will last forever such as prom, football games and more. THey dont get the socail interaction that is much needed in todays society. Sure, they may go to home school group. That is not the interaction all day every day that they will encounter in the real world. Kids are little people, they need to interact and be involved. Thats society. You cant hold them back or shelter them from things they want to do. You are asking for trouble. This is not a personal atack on you, just my outlook on society and education.
wow and I just didn't want to homeschool because I wanted alone time. Honestly not a joke
my kids are shoved up my butt constantly
I have a 20 yr old who is away at college in NY she calls me 5x a day!!!!EVERYDAY now dont get me wrong I don't mind but Calgon take me away

Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 AM

395 posts, read 1,318,168 times

I have four kids and I homeschool the youngest child because she is severely autistic and we felt that the public school was no longer appropriate for her. I was also considering homeschooling my middle daughter as well but we were able to get her into a different middle school.

I do not agree that school provides social interaction. At least not here in Florida. Here the kids are only really allowed to socialize at lunch which is maybe twenty-five minutes from the time the lunch bell rings until they have to be back in class. That is about 125 minutes a week. If a home school group meets for two hours a week that is only five minutes less than what they would get than if they were in school. Lets not forget that at school that twenty- five minutes includes walking to and from the cafeteria, standing in line and then getting (if we were lucky) fifteen full minutes to eat. Maybe it is different in other states , but that is how it is here. My teenage son pretty much confirms it. It was that way when I attended middle and high school back in the eighties.

I have only been homeschooling for a few months but from what I understand many homeschooling families make the effort to ensure that their children have social interaction outside the home and homeschooled kids are allowed to participate in extracurricular activities. Most homeschooling families also take the kids on educational field trips. I, myself have not done that yet, but I sure plan too. My daughter has been doing MUCH better now that she is at home instead of being forced to attend public school. I personally questioned wether or not her school was qualified to handle a child as severely autistic as she is.

Last edited by Floridamom1970; 05-02-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM

35 posts, read 164,806 times
I second asking your child again about any potential problems at school. The teacher may not know. Another thing to consider is, does your son have friends at school? He may not be bullied but not having friends makes going to school pretty difficult. My daughter went through this same thing, albeit she was ten, but the issue was that she had problems with not having friends at school.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Oh dear Lord this kid has too many friends I keep getting notes about how he LOOOVVVEEESS to talk in class and I really don't think it is a problem in school, because he is fine once he gets there. He just has this problem with letting go in the morning

Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,244,563 times
I have four kids and I homeschool the youngest child because she is severely autistic and we felt that the public school was no longer appropriate for her. I was also considering homeschooling my middle daughter as well but we were able to get her into a different middle school.

I do not agree that school provides social interaction. At least not here in Florida. Here the kids are only really allowed to socialize at lunch which is maybe twenty-five minutes from the time the lunch bell rings until they have to be back in class. That is about 125 minutes a week. If a home school group meets for two hours a week that is only five minutes less than what they would get than if they were in school. Lets not forget that at school that twenty- five minutes includes walking to and from the cafeteria, standing in line and then getting (if we were lucky) fifteen full minutes to eat. Maybe it is different in other states , but that is how it is here. My teenage son pretty much confirms it. It was that way when I attended middle and high school back in the eighties.

I have only been homeschooling for a few months but from what I understand many homeschooling families make the effort to ensure that their children have social interaction outside the home and homeschooled kids are allowed to participate in extracurricular activities. Most homeschooling families also take the kids on educational field trips. I, myself have not done that yet, but I sure plan too. My daughter has been doing MUCH better now that she is at home instead of being forced to attend public school. I personally questioned wether or not her school was qualified to handle a child as severely autistic as she is.[/quote]

If thats the case for you then great! Im talking about being away from home with other people. Making them do things that they dont want to do. Life will not be doing what they want all the time. Its about teaching young.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,864,355 times
Is the teacher there during his lunches? There may be something going on before or after school, during lunch, or at recess. Have you tried asking if he would feel better going late, being picked up early, taken out to lunch in the middle of the day, or something? I'm not saying to cater to him, but it really sounds to me like there's something going on.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM

I dont know about that one jco he ASKED to be in ASP and is upset if I pick him up before 4pm he wants to stay longer he was a car rider in the AM but said he wanted to ride the bus
I really think it is the bathtub syndrome doesnt want to get in doesnt want to get out
But I don't know how to cure it
so lets take it that it is BTS (bath tub Syndrome)
what can I do to make it better

Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,864,355 times
It seems to me that you've rejected all but one piece of advice, but I'm going to try to offer a couple more solutions just for kicks. When we didn't want to go to school my mom told us to get out of bed and get in the car. I remember one time my brother didn't get up in time and she made him do chores the entire day. He still didn't want to get up, but he did! I thought it was clever of my mom. When she questioned whether we were sick or not, we didn't get to watch TV, play games, or pretty much get out of bed. It seems nice until two hours has passed and you're going nuts! We learned quick! And unless we had something obviously contagious, we went to school.

I'm not sure what strategies you're looking for if he just doesn't "want" to get out of bed. A reward chart or something seems like bribery to me.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 AM

1,111 posts, read 3,322,624 times
I had a similar problem.. Social anxiety was my issue - and well, kid's don't help. They're cruel.

I'd suggest checking into things like that, as they can have a pretty negative effect on one's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or