U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,757,564 times

Advertisements

I do have a problem maybe you can help me with every morning and I mean EVERY morning my 7 yr old son comes to me and says he is too sick to go to school
I have talked to his teacher and there is nothing he is being harrassed about or other things that would make him "afraid" to go to school but now I am stuck what is up with this kid please help me????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,208,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I do have a problem maybe you can help me with every morning and I mean EVERY morning my 7 yr old son comes to me and says he is too sick to go to school
I have talked to his teacher and there is nothing he is being harrassed about or other things that would make him "afraid" to go to school but now I am stuck what is up with this kid please help me????
My son used to do that everymorning. He finally told me that he was just too cozy and warm to get up. I told him that I understood and that tomorrow morning I would pour a little cold water on him so he wouldn't be cozy and warm. He believed me. I never had to do it, but always reminded him I would

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,025,912 times
I have a sister that used to be like that when we were kids. Something about school actually DID make her feel sick everyday. She disliked it that much. No joke... the whole family knew it. She would say she was sick, she's start sweating, etc. Almost like having panic attacks. She hated it.

My advice? Homeschool! Why make a kid go to a place so many hours a week when he obviously doesn't like it or want to be there. Something there just doesn't click with him. Look into homeschooling. Find a homeschooling group / organization in your area. He'll be much happier and do better.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Oh wow that sounds like something I would do now I am jealous that I didnt think of it

Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I have a sister that used to be like that when we were kids. Something about school actually DID make her feel sick everyday. She disliked it that much. No joke... the whole family knew it. She would say she was sick, she's start sweating, etc. Almost like having panic attacks. She hated it.

My advice? Homeschool! Why make a kid go to a place so many hours a week when he obviously doesn't like it or want to be there. Something there just doesn't click with him. Look into homeschooling. Find a homeschooling group / organization in your area. He'll be much happier and do better.
no homeschooling wont work ya see he isnt really sick he just SAYS he is sick because he wants to stay home with me. I do know it is a little bothersome for him that I have a job now but we do go on "dates" only him and I. I take him to a movie that he wants to see (no one else in the family wants to see it)

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,879,590 times
To me he sounds like he is having separation anxiety, he feels like something will happen while at school. I would bring this up to either the teacher, or his doctor, and see if they can find some way of helping.
How does he do any other time he has to be away from you or home???? Just something that they might ask you. Let me know how you come out. Good luck!!!!
Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 04-29-2007 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: added a letter

Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,843,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
My son did this and it's anxiety. He may really feel physical symptoms (usually stomach ache or headache) and they are real, just caused by anxiety. What you need to do is find out (from him) what's he's anxious about. To talk to the teacher is good, but they don't always know what's going on with the kids. Kids can tease with out the teacher hearing and seeing and if your son is sensitive then even something that seems like no big deal to others can greatly effect him. So be sure to ask your son in great detail about what he likes and dislikes about going to school. Also it may be that he just wants to be with you more than he can right now. Doing special things with him and reasurring him will help. Maybe until he's over it arrange for him to call you at lunch time to check in (really school nurses would rather allow the child to make a call a day then to have them in and out of the office all day) that may help (it worked beautifully for my niece at that age). Finally I was told that you need to push them through the things they are anxious about with out causing them more anxiety - I know it doesn't really make sense. But with my son we go over what his fears are and how to handle them, it seems to help. I also do try to reduce his anxiety when I think it's approprate, I may not get him out of talking in front of the class for a project, but I have no problem having his seat moved if he is being bothered by a child in his class. It's a balance. Working with a therapist for a year really helped us. So if you don't see an improvement on your own I would suggest you go to one also. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks Yorkie he does go over to my sisters on sleepovers and goes with his sister down to the park and he doesnt seem to have to rush home also once he gets to school he is fine and actually when I pick him up from ASP (after school program) he asks if he can stay longer so I am not sure if that is it either

I think when he knows it is time that we COULD be spending together that we arent because I have emails to do or things like that

And also I think it is the bathtub syndrome they dont want to get in but once they are there they dont want to get out

Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM

279 posts, read 1,674,028 times
You are the only one that really knows what is going on, but I think kids will try to get away with whatever they can. I would send him to school, not the doctor. Talk to his teacher and ask her/him if he is sick at school. If not, then he goes. Life if full of things you don't WANT to do. I don't want to pay my mortgage,but I like not being homeless. I don't want to clean my toilets, I don't want to clean up after my dog. You understand I could go on and on.

Oh this just popped in my head, maybe is advanced/behind the rest of the class. So instead of acting out at school he just doesn't want to go.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 PM

he has A's in class except for language arts which he is failing because he wrote a story in the fall and he had to write another one b4 spring break but he thought because he got an A+ on the first one that he could use that one again (go figure) that didn't work out well for him he has a field trip tomorrow but was home today he has poison ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or