Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,912,184 times

Advertisements

You know things happen in supermarkets especially when kids get out of control and parents are frazzled and there is no excuse for this man to be slapping kids...but i 'm horrified at the violent attitude of some of the people on this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,209,671 times
It's easy to say what we'd do or what we'd like to do in the same situation. It's also easy to pass judgement on this mom for having an uncontrollable child. Unless someone can provide me a link, I have yet to read just why this toddler was crying. If it was just for a toy, then stop shopping and march right out w/ her. If mom just wanted to finish her shopping, then shame on her. Did anyone think that maybe this mom was waiting for a prescription to be filled at the pharmacy for her sick little girl? Maybe this man is bipolar or suffering from dimentia and just totally came unglued.

Some of you act so tough w/ your threats on what you'd do to this man if it had been your child. I understand, because I'd give my life for my own child. This mother was probably already stressed and not thinking rationally. We have no clue what else she was dealing w/ in her life, maybe she was on antidepressants. I doubt she thought him serious when he threatened her. Personally, I would have reported him right then and there. So many question how she could stand there while he hit her dd. He probably started slapping her child so fast that she was caught off guard, dead in her tracks. Let's try to remeber the state she might have already been in, overwhelmed w/ anxiety while trying to shush her child. How many have questioned how you reacted to a situation later w/ what you should have said or done? It sounds like customers jumped him pretty fast. I just think we need more info before we totally bash this mom's parenting and a little empathy for her reaction. I think this slaping all happend withing seconds.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,826,630 times
[quote=kahskye;10598561]If it was just for a toy, then stop shopping and march right out w/ her. If mom just wanted to finish her shopping, then shame on her. [quote]

If I am checking out and unloading my cart...the heck I am going to march out of the store because my child is crying because they want a toy or candy...

No, I would not give that power to my child.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,209,671 times
[quote=renovating;10603755][quote=kahskye;10598561]If it was just for a toy, then stop shopping and march right out w/ her. If mom just wanted to finish her shopping, then shame on her.
Quote:

If I am checking out and unloading my cart...the heck I am going to march out of the store because my child is crying because they want a toy or candy...

No, I would not give that power to my child.
How is that giving power to the child? I'm certainly not going to buy a toy for my screaming child. It doesn't sound like this mom was in the check out line, so I don't know why she continued to shop. It's a bit hard if you're paying for your items to leave. I'm talking about a child having a meltdown while still shopping. I think it's totally inconciderate to just continue on. I would park my cart and take my child out out the store. Depending on their age of reason, I would let them know that their behaviour was inappropriate and won't be tolerated.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 AM

5,634 posts, read 5,049,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I'm wondering about that myself.

I've been in a checkout line with a crying kid. Most times you can make them stop. Sometimes you just can't.

But the moment that guy threatened my kid, I would have stood between him and my kid and said, "You take one step toward us, Buddy, and you'll wish you were never born."

Nobody messes with my kid! I got a "Momma Bear" side to me that you don't want to see!
I don't know that I'd even give a warning if someone said that. A threat has three components - intent, ability, and opportunity. Making the statement he did, being an able-bodied adult, and being in close proximity means all three were present. So someone even making such a comment to me would immediately find themselves under a savage attack meant to eliminate that threat - e.g., being beat with whatever was at hand to the point of being incapable of moving.

I have a toddler and understand frustration at their sometimes annoying behavior. But this is just unforgivable under any circumstances.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don't know that I'd even give a warning if someone said that. A threat has three components - intent, ability, and opportunity. Making the statement he did, being an able-bodied adult, and being in close proximity means all three were present. So someone even making such a comment to me would immediately find themselves under a savage attack meant to eliminate that threat - e.g., being beat with whatever was at hand to the point of being incapable of moving.

I have a toddler and understand frustration at their sometimes annoying behavior. But this is just unforgivable under any circumstances.
Totally agree. I'm not sure how the Harris County District Attorney would view my response, but if a man who posed a credible threat said something like that to me or to my wife within my audible range I would not feel very compelled to enter into the formality of dialogue. He would probably get a warning, but the warning would be something like a firm grip on the trachea. He can retreat from that or we will descend into primal combat.

Color me reactionary, but I don't give sh*t how obnoxious the child was being or how inconsiderate the mother may have been. There is no way to defend that man's actions and I'm surprised that someone with that little self-restraint and a personality so acetic to enable that attitude has managed to live 50+ years without getting bumped off.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,251 times
Holy ****...before I even get to the second page of this thread, let me tell you, I woulda clocked the bastard. I would have first said, "Don't you dare..." as a warning, of course.

Is my response violent? Yes...but a line was crossed and I hit back.
Sorry if you think that's wrong.

Now, if my child is not behaving well, we don't stay...we go home or outside to deal with it. Excuse me. Two years old? Outside for a time-in, holding...chill. If for some reason I HAVE to be there, HAVE to buy whatever it is I'm on line for (gas, meds, feminine products), I would apologize and explain if need be. (No need to rile the fury.)

Last edited by 33458; 09-04-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,538,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Totally agree. I'm not sure how the Harris County District Attorney would view my response, but if a man who posed a credible threat said something like that to me or to my wife within my audible range I would not feel very compelled to enter into the formality of dialogue. He would probably get a warning, but the warning would be something like a firm grip on the trachea. He can retreat from that or we will descend into primal combat.

Color me reactionary, but I don't give sh*t how obnoxious the child was being or how inconsiderate the mother may have been. There is no way to defend that man's actions and I'm surprised that someone with that little self-restraint and a personality so acetic to enable that attitude has managed to live 50+ years without getting bumped off.
Yup, exactly. I agree with everything you said. Some older people do develop dementia and become aggressive and violent, and I might feel a little bad for the guy afterward if that were the case. But in the moment? No. Maternal instinct would be in full swing.

"Firm grip on the trachea" ... ha, I love it.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,336,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
[your items to leave. I'm talking about a child having a meltdown while still shopping. I think it's totally inconciderate to just continue on. I would park my cart and take my child out out the store. Depending on their age of reason, I would let them know that their behaviour was inappropriate and won't be tolerated.
The problem with the above solution though is that it teaches the kid that if they don't want to go into a particular store, they only need to shriek and scream and mom will take them out of there.

It's a very tough situation for a parent to be in. I'm not a parent (by choice) but understand that it's tough. I've seen my share of sobbing kids in the supermarket and their harried, overtired mom looking very worn out but needing to do her shopping.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,114,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The problem with the above solution though is that it teaches the kid that if they don't want to go into a particular store, they only need to shriek and scream and mom will take them out of there.

It's a very tough situation for a parent to be in. I'm not a parent (by choice) but understand that it's tough. I've seen my share of sobbing kids in the supermarket and their harried, overtired mom looking very worn out but needing to do her shopping.
I doubt any child just doesn't want to go into a store.
Sometimes the child may be needing a nap or may be sick; then it's the parent's responsibility to keep said child home-where they should be if they can't behave or don't feel well enough to be out.
Removing them from any public place where they can't behave does teach them they can't misbehave and it won't be tolerated. Ignoring such behavior does nothing except annoy others.
I have a friend who has 3 children. When she must take them into a place,like WalMart; the first thing she does is go to the men's dept. and pull a belt off the rack-puts it in the cart and tells the kids that if she Has to use it on them due to their behavior, thereby forcing her to buy said belt--she will use it again once they are out of the store. She's only had to buy a belt ONE time! Her children are well behaved,know their limits and know the consequences of bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting