U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,221,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I am shocked by all of the different views on this topic- My just turned 17 YO daughter dates a boy 1 year 2 months older- they have been dating for 6 months and are serious- they are together daily and seem so happy-I am in contact with his parents- they go on trips with each other families- he will go to college next year and his dad already said he wasn't sending him too far away because he would miss my daughter too much- this is my 1st child and it is overwhelming but they are so happy together- I wouldn't want her going out with anyone much older than this....
If I were you I would start planning on them getting married. I was 25 and my wife 18 when we started dating. She went off to college about 70 miles away and I went to a local school. She came home every Thursday and we saw each other the entire weekend. We spoke on the phone every night for hours until being apart was too much. She came home and enrolled at a local private college and five months later I purchased a beautiful engagement ring for her. That was eighteen years ago. After completing college we got married. It all started when we began to see each other every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM

11,635 posts, read 20,299,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
For a child who is licensed to drive and is enrolled in high school, the dating pool should be limited to other licensed drivers who are also enrolled in high school. Long term relationships with one party going off to college while the other has a year of high school remaining would be a possible exception, although those seldom make it through the first semester of college.

For a child who is too young to drive and is enrolled in high school, the dating pool should be limited to other high school students who are too young to drive.
Why?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why?
There are, of course, exceptions, but...

I think that there is a big difference in terms of maturity, experience and saavy between a pre-driving teen and a post-driving teen. They look at the world a little differently and are a bit more independent-minded.

A 16 year old boy who has been driving for a while, for example, has too much of an advantage over a 15 year old girl for an un-supervised date, IMO. (and, if he is anything like I was or any of the male friends, acquaintances or strangers that I went to high-school with, he is only interested in one thing while the 15 year old girl is only interested in making a good impression. Dangerous combination)

I think that advantage is considerably less pronounced between an 18 year old boy and a 16 year old girl, so if you accept my postulation about "driving advantage" it would not be unreasonable to draw a line in the sand thusly.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM

914 posts, read 1,573,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What do you all think? I'm really uncomfortable with kids under 18 dating anyone over 18, besides the fact it's illegal where I live! But even at 18, I feel like it's wierd that they'd date someone in their 20s.

Should boys have different rules from girls?

Oh man, I started dating way later than my school mates and I don't regret it. My first boyfriend was when I was 17 and we dated for a year and never had sex. By that time a good amount of my friends had already gotten their hump-game going, but I was content with waiting. I lost my virginity at 18... one of the few girls to graduate high school a virgin. Yay me!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM

3,307 posts, read 3,856,055 times
Quote:
What do you all think? I'm really uncomfortable with kids under 18 dating anyone over 18, besides the fact it's illegal where I live! But even at 18, I feel like it's wierd that they'd date someone in their 20s.

We faced this decision. Our 16 year old daughter fell in love with a 21 year old. My wife and I sat down and discussed this at lenght to try the wisest dicision possible.

We decided to let them date, however this were basic rules:
They did not anywhere in his motorcycle.
We took them with us to the movies whenever they wanted to go. That did not mean we sat next to them, we often saw a different movie.
He could come and visit anytime and watch TV and be at the living room all they wanted or at the back yard or in the front lawn.
He was always welcomed anytime.

It worked pretty well until they finally broke up on friendly terms.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,185,347 times
Wow! So many opinions and ideas. Interesting.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 PM

691 posts, read 2,064,038 times
It is interesting to read this, and think of myself when I was in HS. And now, my own daughter...the closer in age, the better I think. It equalizes the relationship, rather than the older party having an "edge". Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me was dating older men, but you could not have told me that when I was 16. Because, of course, you know everything when you are 16.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,894 times
My boyfriend just turned 18 last week but i won't be 16 until september is that illegal?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,186,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxps_iloveyou View Post
My boyfriend just turned 18 last week but i won't be 16 until september is that illegal?
In Georgia it is a mandatory 10 years if he sexually touches you until September. If he photographs you topless or bottomless, add another mandatory 5 years.
Outrage After Teen Gets 10 Years for Oral Sex With Girl - ABC News

Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,186,079 times
Quote:

I would say it is fine for a 16 or 17 year old to date somebody 18 or 19. And it is usually not illegal over 16. In fact it is not illegal to date anybody of any age as long as there is no sex involved. The age of consent is 18 in 11 states, the rest are 16 or 17.
My daughter is 18 and in college and her boyfriend is 20 in the Army.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of...ica#State_laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting