U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 AM

12,715 posts, read 11,527,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What do you all think? I'm really uncomfortable with kids under 18 dating anyone over 18, besides the fact it's illegal where I live!
It's not illegal where you live. You are confusing dating with ****ing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM

177 posts, read 409,567 times
boys need to be ready to experience sex at an earlier age. because they want it more than girls earlier, especially when they are the ones responsible for parental compensation when he gets a girl knocked up. let them go on "dates" where you drop them off at the movies or with a group of friends. 1 on 1 dating is for guys when they have a car (or she has a car). girls really need to wait because they can easily be convinced to do what a boy wants, especially when hes older. i would let her go on 1 on 1 dates around 16 or 17. no earlier unless friends are involved. guys can start picking her up around 16 or 17.

i suggest taching the importance of studying over dating. many girls that were know for not dating during my high school years ended up being the smartest i know and the most successful today.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 PM

6,348 posts, read 5,089,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think that's a myth. There are some innate differences in girls and boys but it's not that boys are 3 years behind girls.
Ha, when I was 16 (almost 17) I was dating a college girl. She turned 20 the summer I turned 17. Some things about the relationship were awkward but I'm grateful for the experience (no we didn't "do it") (yes we did other things).

Everybody's different. I was already a high school graduate, and advanced in some ways for my age. Not to brag because I am slow in some other ways. But I would not have a hard and fast rule against dating across the 18th-birthday barrier.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM

6,348 posts, read 5,089,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
girls...can easily be convinced to do what a boy wants
You must know a different bunch of girls than I did.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 227 times
Stan TWICE and BTS thanks

Old 04-22-2019, 06:44 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,026,031 times
Our daughter is 30. Her husband is 33. They started dating when she was 14 and he was 17, so they have been together more than half her life. They have just had their first child and they are very happy. Everyone else is not so happy as they are moving away for her to begin her residency.

I'm in the camp that believes that everything depends on the people involved.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 PM

18,173 posts, read 23,269,150 times
I don't agree girls are more mature....

they may appear more mature because they are with the older boys that are attracted to them farrrrr more than older girls are attracted to younger boys.....
older boys have cars...jobs and if she's a pretty flower she is getting attention.... from the older boys....going to concerts...parties.. etc...

a 16 yr old boy without a car has very little chance with a 17-18 yr old girl....but a 16 yr old girl has a good chance of dating a 17-18 yr old boy … and whether she has a license..means very little ….. it's mostly has to do with looks....which I would think...would be shallow to the women/girls..... but I guess that doesn't matter...

their was a movie "the last American virgin" when I was in high school... about a high school girl....enamored with an older exciting boy not the (same aged)...boy that adored her....well, the older boy used her got her pregnant....and dropped her...…...the other boy which she wouldn't even look at .....now was one of her only friends. during a tough time ....he sold his stereo still really liked her.....and helped pay for her abortion......

the young girls that want to adult with adult. aged boys ..needs to understand.....why they are getting attention they are...and be able to see thru it..

Old 04-24-2019, 08:19 AM

751 posts, read 302,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What do you all think? I'm really uncomfortable with kids under 18 dating anyone over 18, besides the fact it's illegal where I live! But even at 18, I feel like it's weird that they'd date someone in their 20s.

Should boys have different rules from girls?
I think that well-raised young women have a wide dating pool, that "dating" can have wildly-different interpretations, and as long as no laws are being broken and respect is being shown, this isn't very answerable.

I had a relationship with an 18 yo "boy" in the same grade as me when I was 17, a 23 yo when I was 18, and a 26 yo when I was 19. My parents were fine with all the young men I dated (met them while in college) except for the first. I moved out at 18 but they genuinely liked the older ones much more. I married the last one and he was still astonishingly immature, like the others (even though they were far more mature than our peers), compared to me... for basic "adulting." My husband was a lot of work and there are MANY holes we've found over the years, where his parents just dropped the ball and cast him out into the world, unprepared. Many women are this way too and it's why I don't take to very many close friends. They are - simply - stupid.

Far too many parents raise children instead of adults and it shows. I wouldn't, as a parent, go by age so much as character and maturity.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:27 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,834,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantwiceandbts View Post
Stan TWICE and BTS thanks
What?

this thread is 10 years old.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:51 PM

17,248 posts, read 3,866,287 times
Im fine with big age differences as long as its legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting