U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 84 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't care that much. Some people think it's a big deal and others think that age is just a number. Now, let's say that a woman or man is 60-years-old and they are dating a 20-year-old. I don't that's very appropriate. I won't really judge or say anything just in my mind I feel like it's better to date someone around your age.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 PM

727 posts, read 342,494 times
I met my now husband when I was 16 and he was 18 and he was just starting college. My dad made him go camping with us before I was allowed to date him. My dad found him to be an outstanding young man and we were allowed to date.

We dated for 5 1/2 years before we got married. We've been married for 19 years and we've been together for 24 years. So for us the two year age difference isn't a big deal, nor was him being in college and me being in high school. What mattered we're the two individuals involved and whether the young man was a decent, kind, respectful young man, and he was and here we are.

I can't say there is a specific age we won't let our daughters date when the time is right, it will depend on each individual person and how we feel about them.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,577,305 times
Off the cuff, I'd say 2 to 2.5 years is a good rule of thumb. But really, it would depend on the individual teens in question. My parents are three years apart and dated all through when my mom was in high school (and then my dad went to college while they were still dating). My husband and I dated in high school... we were in the same grade but are 18 months apart due to me skipping a grade and the way that our birthdays fell.

My kids have not shown interest in dating during high school, which I can't say I'm upset about! My son is now 18 and knows that he should not date someone under 18 simply to avoid trouble. My daughter is 16 and I would be fine with her dating a 14-18 year old, I think. Again, depending on the individual, what types of things they were into, whether they were responsible and trustworthy, and so on.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 AM

3,893 posts, read 2,357,449 times
I'd be a hypocrite if I tried to tell my daughters they couldn't date a senior as freshmen.

It all depends on the individuals involved.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 AM

2,626 posts, read 1,496,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
3 years seems okay to me (of course assuming it's legal).
Same!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 AM

77,317 posts, read 69,210,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I met my now husband when I was 16 and he was 18 and he was just starting college. My dad made him go camping with us before I was allowed to date him. My dad found him to be an outstanding young man and we were allowed to date.

We dated for 5 1/2 years before we got married. We've been married for 19 years and we've been together for 24 years. So for us the two year age difference isn't a big deal, nor was him being in college and me being in high school. What mattered we're the two individuals involved and whether the young man was a decent, kind, respectful young man, and he was and here we are.

I can't say there is a specific age we won't let our daughters date when the time is right, it will depend on each individual person and how we feel about them.
I was just going to say, that everything depends on the character of the people involved. Same-age dating could be completely inappropriate, id the two people are not on the same page in some respects. An age difference of 4 years could be nothing, if they are on the same page. There is no formula or rule that should apply. There's far too much individual variation for that.

Great post, agree completely.

Old Today, 05:25 PM

33 posts, read 5,915 times
Whatever they feel comfortable with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting