U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM

209 posts, read 481,328 times
Default 16 year old got a D.U.I.

My 16 year old stepson got a D.U.I. on Saturday night. His looser "ex-crack head" (who he lives with)dad left him alone for the long weekend so he could go to the river. I guess he decided to invite some friends over and things got out of hand(drinking) and they decided to go for a drive. My stepson drove his Ranger that he had just got, while his friend drove his Grandfathers Mercedes. They got pulled over for curfew, and then the officer did a sobritiy check. I was in San Diego at the time with his mother, and found out the following day. My question is what type of legal issues and punishment is he looking at? We live in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,237,504 times
He, you and his parents should be eternally grateful no one lost their lives because of his conduct.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM

9,975 posts, read 10,637,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
My 16 year old stepson got a D.U.I. on Saturday night. His looser "ex-crack head" (who he lives with)dad left him alone for the long weekend so he could go to the river. I guess he decided to invite some friends over and things got out of hand(drinking) and they decided to go for a drive. My stepson drove his Ranger that he had just got, while his friend drove his Grandfathers Mercedes. They got pulled over for curfew, and then the officer did a sobritiy check. I was in San Diego at the time with his mother, and found out the following day. My question is what type of legal issues and punishment is he looking at? We live in California.
I cannot answer your question. I am simply posting to say that you are lucky that he is alive and he did not kill or injure anyone else. I guess you and his mother need to check up on him on the weekends and supervise him when his non-father is out of town. I am glad he is ok. I would call a lawyer about the legal issues.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

7,616 posts, read 7,467,738 times
Beside the state punishing him if I were you I would take the keys and he probably wont have a license for another ten yrs after the state has their way which is probably a good thing considering his lack of responsibilty . His crack head father needs a dose of reality too . I would consider getting custody of him because obviously his crack head dad is no good and a sorry parent to boot . I would let the judge know when you go to court that his dad is just sorry and no good .

Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Allison,

Its not your fault, but I am so angry about this situation. I dont care who his father is and what he does. The fact is this child is 16 years old and should have known better. His conduct came about as the result of 2 things combined that he made the decision to do without any input from either of his parents: 1) drink (underage); and 2) drive after drinking. Whatever the punishment - he better man up because again - he is so very lucky he didnt take his or someone else's life.

I cannot imagine your anguish - but this problem was likely a long time coming and no one stopped it. Good luck. I wish you peace.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:44 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,505,043 times
It depends on the judge and the local laws. Try googling DUI laws in your state, or check the county website - CA counties have excellent websites.

In any case, it'll be expensive. I hope they throw the book at him and take his license for a good many years rather than just pile on the fees to the parents.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM

209 posts, read 481,328 times
Default Thankyou all

Thankyou all for your responses. I agree, he has gotten his truck taken away, and we are looking at getting custody of him. Now remember all, i am the step parent, and i try to give the best to him. It is his worthless "Father" that allows this behavior.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM

691 posts, read 1,310,826 times
Things will go better for him, if you immediately start substance abuse counseling classes, therapy, and AA. The sooner the better, this will look good when he goes to court. Most of this is covered by insurance.

He will probably lose his license until he is 18.

Judges are more leninent, the more contrite and proactive you are on the subtance abuse classes, to treat this as a serious issue. Start the documentation on attendance for verification for the judge, buy him a day planner to keep track of his substance abuse classes, counseling sessions, and AA sessions.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Things will go better for him, if you immediately start substance abuse counseling classes, therapy, and AA. The sooner the better, this will look good when he goes to court. Most of this is covered by insurance.

He will probably lose his license until he is 18.

Judges are more leninent, the more contrite and proactive you are on the subtance abuse classes, to treat this as a serious issue. Start the documentation on attendance for verification for the judge, buy him a day planner to keep track of his substance abuse classes, counseling sessions, and AA sessions.

Kel,

Great suggestion.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM

691 posts, read 1,310,826 times
Make him go to about 2 or 3 AA sessions a week, that is what the judge will be looking for, not one or two every couple of weeks. Serious commitment to change will save you money on fines, restitution, and community service time or worse.

Can't hurt him either. Make him take the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting