Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but I am *really* curious as to why parents choose to get their baby/young child's ears pierced. I seriously don't understand the motivation to do so. It's not a painful procedure, so it's not really about "doing it before they remember the event" and there's no "wellness" advantage to having the kid get their ears pierced so why modify a child's body without them being able to decide since it's purely for aesthetic/"fashion" reasons?

I had two holes in each ear at one point--and got both during my later teenage years. My parents always wanted it to be my choice to get them done, essentially because...well...it was my body!

For those that may argue that if the kid doesn't like wearing earrings, and that they can just let them close up without any issue, that isn't always the case. I never liked wearing earrings and thus I can't fit anything through the holes anymore. However, I still have some residual scar tissue left from the holes, and, due to having very sensitive skin, I get get some swelling in the area from time to time. No big deal, but still.

I'm truly curious if there's anyone out there that has done this, and if so, why they chose to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Tradition. Back home when you see a baby you look at the ears to see if it is a boy or a girl.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Tradition. Back home when you see a baby you look at the ears to see if it is a boy or a girl.
Seriously? That's so odd to me... I've never heard of people using that to judge gender. Hm... thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
I think it seems to be a cultural thing. Personally I think it's very wrong, but agree it's not really harmful for the most part. I have a toddler girl and when she was born was asked by more than one neighbor about when her ears would be pierced. I replied "When she asks for it, we'll discuss it." My duty is to deliver her to adulthood intact and prepared for success in life, and to me that means not putting holes in her body for my own amusement.

If/when my daughter wants her tongue or anything else pierced, I'll just say "Let's go down to my workshop and I'll nail it to the workbench or put in a pop rivet!"

I saw a girl working at the local Pets R Us the other day who had more metal in her than my toolbox - ears, lip ring, nose stud, barbell in her neck, etc. Attractive otherwise, and I don't undestand why. I wondered where such people worked now that record stores are disappearing.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,405 times
so funny this subject is here this morning- My 17 year old wants her ears double pierced and I really don't want her to but it's not that big of a deal- now a baby-I hate it when I see it and always want to ask the parents Why in the world did you pierce those baby's ears????

for those who have double pierced ears- why do you want them???

Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Mine were pierced when I was two. My hair did not grow in very fast and my mother would tape bows on my head so people knew I was a girl. She got my ears pierced.

My sister got hers pierced much later. The sound was much more terrifying and my mother said that she wished that she had done it much earlier.

If I had a daughter then I would probably have them done at age 2.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
We got our daughter's ears pierced when she was around 6 months old. We had our pediatrician do it. The reason we did it at 6 months old, was because we were told (by pediatrician) that her pain level/reaction would be minimal.

As it stood, her earings (little posts) kept popping out. We ended up taking out the earrings and let the holes close up. It was redone at at age 4 (her request) and she LOVES having them!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I think it looks awful and very "low class". Sorry, but when I see that I think the parents are cruel, uneducated and/or ignorant. You can dress your child accordingly if its so important that everyone knows what sex it is, rather then sticking needles in their ears.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but I am *really* curious as to why parents choose to get their baby/young child's ears pierced. I seriously don't understand the motivation to do so. It's not a painful procedure, so it's not really about "doing it before they remember the event" and there's no "wellness" advantage to having the kid get their ears pierced so why modify a child's body without them being able to decide since it's purely for aesthetic/"fashion" reasons?

I had two holes in each ear at one point--and got both during my later teenage years. My parents always wanted it to be my choice to get them done, essentially because...well...it was my body!

For those that may argue that if the kid doesn't like wearing earrings, and that they can just let them close up without any issue, that isn't always the case. I never liked wearing earrings and thus I can't fit anything through the holes anymore. However, I still have some residual scar tissue left from the holes, and, due to having very sensitive skin, I get get some swelling in the area from time to time. No big deal, but still.

I'm truly curious if there's anyone out there that has done this, and if so, why they chose to do it.

Because some people can not tell if the baby is a boy or a girl and with pierced ears it becomes more obvious while at the same time when they are little they can not remember the pain they might feel as when they get a little older and become afraid to do it then it's harder to get their ears pierced

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
I don't get it either and I wouldn't dream of doing it to my child until they decided they wanted to.

hlsess - I got my first hole when I was around 12 then when I was in highschool I got my second hole. I just wanted the second hole because everyone else was, plain and simple. Now that I am 35 yrs old, I haven't worn earrings in the second hole in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting