Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,240,993 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mainerite;10752111]of course they don't that is why they are stupid[/quote]

Let me just make sure I understand that you are saying that parents who pierce their children's ears are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM

37 posts, read 107,850 times
[quote=ajzjmsmom;10753473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainerite View Post
of course they don't that is why they are stupid[/quote]

Let me just make sure I understand that you are saying that parents who pierce their children's ears are stupid.
Young children- say under 13 or so? YES-BINGO

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,240,993 times
[quote=Mainerite;10753513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Young children- say under 13 or so? YES-BINGO

And they would be stupid for what reason?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM

704 posts, read 1,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but I am *really* curious as to why parents choose to get their baby/young child's ears pierced. I seriously don't understand the motivation to do so. It's not a painful procedure, so it's not really about "doing it before they remember the event" and there's no "wellness" advantage to having the kid get their ears pierced so why modify a child's body without them being able to decide since it's purely for aesthetic/"fashion" reasons?

I had two holes in each ear at one point--and got both during my later teenage years. My parents always wanted it to be my choice to get them done, essentially because...well...it was my body!

For those that may argue that if the kid doesn't like wearing earrings, and that they can just let them close up without any issue, that isn't always the case. I never liked wearing earrings and thus I can't fit anything through the holes anymore. However, I still have some residual scar tissue left from the holes, and, due to having very sensitive skin, I get get some swelling in the area from time to time. No big deal, but still.

I'm truly curious if there's anyone out there that has done this, and if so, why they chose to do it.
Parents choose to Circumcise little boys, seems like that's a way bigger deal than piercing ears.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,294,924 times
Personally I think it's soooooooooo tacky to pierce young children's ears.

Let the child decide, when she/he is older - as in early teens.

I hate to say it, but if I see little kids with pierced ears I will always think "common and trashy".

Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,250,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Personally I think it's soooooooooo tacky to pierce young children's ears.

Let the child decide, when she/he is older - as in early teens.

I hate to say it, but if I see little kids with pierced ears I will always think "common and trashy".
What do you think of circumsions on baby boys?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,089,424 times
The opinions here are um, interesting.

For my family, it is also a cultural tradition. My ears were pierced by my pediatrician when I was a couple of months old; I had my daughter's pierced when she was 4 months old. Neither one of us has had any maintenance issues.

We are a family of attorneys, teachers, foreign diplomats, judges, professional musicians, & engineers so the strange stereotypes of "common, trashy, uneducated and abusive" don't really fit us.

Do some of you really look at a sweet child & think "Oh...she's trashy because her ears are pierced?". REALLY???? You do realize that many of the people you know and respect may have had their daughters' ears pierced prior to age 18 or 14 or 12 (or whatever age YOU think is appropriate). Does that possibility change your opinion of those people?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:35 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,294,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
The opinions here are um, interesting.

For my family, it is also a cultural tradition. My ears were pierced by my pediatrician when I was a couple of months old; I had my daughter's pierced when she was 4 months old. Neither one of us has had any maintenance issues.

We are a family of attorneys, teachers, foreign diplomats, judges, professional musicians, & engineers so the strange stereotypes of "common, trashy, uneducated and abusive" don't really fit us.

Do some of you really look at a sweet child & think "Oh...she's trashy because her ears are pierced?". REALLY???? You do realize that many of the people you know and respect may have had their daughters' ears pierced prior to age 18 or 14 or 12 (or whatever age YOU think is appropriate). Does that possibility change your opinion of those people?
Well if it is a long standing cultural tradition in whichever country one hails from then fair enough I guess. Just out of curiousity, what exactly is the cultural reason for piercing the child's ears at an early age?

I don't think the CHILD is trashy - I think the PRACTICE is trashy. I am not concerned so much by teenagers - maybe 12 upwards - having pierced ears - I just find it bizarre that people choose to pierce and ornament a tiny toddler - little children have an innate special innocence and naturalness and poking holes in their ears and sticking in studs and hoops at such an early age, and at an age when they cannot choose for themselves, just seems to detract from that

As far as circumcision goes - well, yes, it's a long standing cultural tradition - I understood that one reason it is performed is for hygiene - as far as I am aware it is not done for OUTWARD appearance (unlike ear piercing). I have also heard that sometimes uncircumcised boys/men can have problems with that part of their anatomy and that circumcision can prevent this. So I suppose I can see some reasoning behind circumcision whereas the piercing seems to be purely ornamental.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,830,040 times
Why do people question tradition? Tradition belongs to people's culture! There are some tribes of the Amazon that pierce their lower lip and put a plug on there that they replace with progressiveluy larger plugs as the person grows up. Mostly THEY consider that as a beauty sign, much as ear piercing is done in some cultures. Western culture considers it disfiguring. They don't! I really don't understand all this brouhaha!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,089,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Well if it is a long standing cultural tradition in whichever country one hails from then fair enough I guess. Just out of curiousity, what exactly is the cultural reason for piercing the child's ears at an early age?
Bibit already said it well, imo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Why do people question tradition? Tradition belongs to people's culture! There are some tribes of the Amazon that pierce their lower lip and put a plug on there that they replace with progressiveluy larger plugs as the person grows up. Mostly THEY consider that as a beauty sign, much as ear piercing is done in some cultures. Western culture considers it disfiguring. They don't! I really don't understand all this brouhaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting