Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

I just got back from walking my older son to the bus stop and my just turned 4 year old son decided, again, to cause a big scene in front of the other parents. He's done this before. Today it was because he accidentally ran into another kid on his scooter and refused to apologize. So I took the scooter away and started to walk home. I didn't yell or feed into it at all. I just started walking toward home. He sat crying and yelling on the sidewalk for several minutes. When he did finally get up and start walking, he continued to cry and say "give it back" all the way to our house up the driveway and into the garage. At home I just walk away and ignore it, but out in public I feel like a bad mom for leaving my son crying on the sidewalk, even though he was never out of my sight. I would never have actually left him completely. What would you have done? Do you deal with tantrums differently in public than you do when you are at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,014 times
I know what you mean, my son is 7 and still occassionally has public tantrums. I think you did right, and as long as you follow through with the consequence (took the scooter away, he's not getting it back until...say tomorrow), then you are doing right. Not debating with a 4 year old is very smart, it makes me think parents are crazy when I see them having discussions about behavior with young children (if at home, a different story alltogether). You might reinforce what just happened when you are at home by discussing it with him, but don't assume that he will "get it" just because you talk to him about it.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,369 times
You may not want to hear this, but, I do not tolerate disrespect or outbursts directed towards myself or my wife in either public or in private(she does not either). Someone has to be in charge and guess what, that job falls on you as a parent, whether or not it is what you desire to do. You have a responsibility to raise that child and teach them right from wrong. If you don't teach them, then someone else will ( the Govt., schools, their friends, television, etc.) and quite frankly those are pretty poor choices to have as teachers of my child. Basically, you have to make a choice, you're in charge, or the child is. JMO

Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just got back from walking my older son to the bus stop and my just turned 4 year old son decided, again, to cause a big scene in front of the other parents. He's done this before. Today it was because he accidentally ran into another kid on his scooter and refused to apologize. So I took the scooter away and started to walk home. I didn't yell or feed into it at all. I just started walking toward home. He sat crying and yelling on the sidewalk for several minutes. When he did finally get up and start walking, he continued to cry and say "give it back" all the way to our house up the driveway and into the garage. At home I just walk away and ignore it, but out in public I feel like a bad mom for leaving my son crying on the sidewalk, even though he was never out of my sight. I would never have actually left him completely. What would you have done? Do you deal with tantrums differently in public than you do when you are at home?
Kids do have a way of making you feel that way sometimes.....

I personally think you handled it just right. Once he calmed down I would have made him tell you why you took the scooter away.

Once the meltdown has begun, there's really not much you can do about it other than what you did.

I know you felt embarrassed but I'm sure the other parents were silently applauding you.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
You may not want to hear this, but, I do not tolerate disrespect or outbursts directed towards myself or my wife in either public or in private(she does not either). Someone has to be in charge and guess what, that job falls on you as a parent, whether or not it is what you desire to do. You have a responsibility to raise that child and teach them right from wrong. If you don't teach them, then someone else will ( the Govt., schools, their friends, television, etc.) and quite frankly those are pretty poor choices to have as teachers of my child. Basically, you have to make a choice, you're in charge, or the child is. JMO
I don't tolerate it. that's why I walked away. Would you have done something differently?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Kids do have a way of making you feel that way sometimes.....

I personally think you handled it just right. Once he calmed down I would have made him tell you why you took the scooter away.

Once the meltdown has begun, there's really not much you can do about it other than what you did.

I know you felt embarrassed but I'm sure the other parents were silently applauding you.
when we got home I put him in time out until he calmed down. Then I explained what he did wrong.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

264 posts, read 819,339 times
Quote:

when you say you "do not tolerate"...what does that mean, exactly? you have given no concrete example of what you have done and/or would do in this situation?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:

Sorry, but I don't see how the OP tolerated anything. She didn't sink to the child's level by yelling right back. She took the adult route.

So, I guess I don't see what your getting at.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
You did the right thing. At 4 you are teaching him that acting up will not get him what he wants. He is not 7 or 8 where you can have a conversation and have him 'get it'. I would have (and do) the same thing. Nobody is judging...we have all been there done that.

It is really a simple concept to try and teach. If you do this action you get this consequence.

You did the right thing...no doubt.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Another vote for you handled it just right.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting