Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,149,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
No. Cost isn't the issue for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
No, cost is not the issue for us, our insurance would pay in full.
I didn't mean cost being a factor for you, I was talking about the concept that the only reason the vaccines are pushed is to make money for the pharma company. If the CDC is worried enough about this to give the vaccine away for free, they must be extremely worried about an outbreak.

I never can get my insurance co to pay for flu vaccines. Certainly it is cheaper than paying for treatment of the flu. I don't get it, but that's a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
It is very VERY difficult to explain virus, vaccines, and the immune system on a site like this. . . especially when many are opposed to learning things for themselves.

If most people--with opinions--understood the mechanisms that viruses (and bacteria) employ to cause infection, then most of these discussions/debates would be nonexistent. If the question was posted here about how a virus--let's say the flu--cause infection and is able to evade long term medical (and immunological) control. . .most posters would have HUGE question marks above their heads. Most laypersons have NO idea. They just force-feed what has been fed to them.

This is why it is advised that people know things for themselves and not because someone told them. Maybe look up DNA and RNA virus. . .and many would understand why some organisms are so hard to combat. And why sometimes vaccination is not the answer to their control. . .most times simple hygiene is adequate.
but you have to rely on the hygiene of others and people don't know how to wash their hands correctly. And I don't know that my son's teachers make them wash often enough or long enough at school.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,273,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I didn't mean cost being a factor for you, I was talking about the concept that the only reason the vaccines are pushed is to make money for the pharma company. If the CDC is worried enough about this to give the vaccine away for free, they must be extremely worried about an outbreak.

I never can get my insurance co to pay for flu vaccines. Certainly it is cheaper than paying for treatment of the flu. I don't get it, but that's a different thread.

No, it still wouldn't change my mind. Where is everyone hearing that this vaccine will be free? This forum is the first place I had heard that.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,179,770 times
Quote:

The pharma company is still making tons of money. They are being paid by the government instead of by individuals (assuming that it really will be given for "free").

According to this article: U.S. Government to Fund H1N1 Vaccinations | Online NewsHour | July 9, 2009 | PBS, The Department of Health and Human Services has appropriated about a billion dollars towards development of the H1N1 vaccine and that another 7.5 billion would be available through the emergency preparedness program. That's an awful lot of money and it is something that we will all pay for through our taxes.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,346,538 times
DH, DD (4), DS (8) and myself will be getting one or both, as available.

Miasmommy----my dh is "in healthcare" as well, and he either gets the flu shot, or misses out on it due to his busy schedule. If he doesn't get it one year, it is because he MISSED it not because he is AGAINST it. You said half the people you know in healthcare are not getting the shot, you didn't mention why they are not getting the shot.

DH did get the FLU last year (Missed the shot) and it was VERY VERY bad. He was in bed for 5 days every moment he didn't HAVE to be at work (which he shouldn't have been but had to). He was in very bad shape, I think I might have been that sick once in my life. Luckily I didn't get it and neither did the kids (we had the flu shot).

His flu was very nasty.

I'd rather take my chances with the shot.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
No, it still wouldn't change my mind. Where is everyone hearing that this vaccine will be free? This forum is the first place I had heard that.
I heard from my son's doctor and from my husband who does safety and disaster prep for a hospital. He gets updates and attends meetings on the subject, and knows more than the general public, or at least finds out before the general public. The hospitals and doctors will get it for free and can't charge for it. they can charge an admin fee.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
The pharma company is still making tons of money. They are being paid by the government instead of by individuals (assuming that it really will be given for "free").

According to this article: U.S. Government to Fund H1N1 Vaccinations | Online NewsHour | July 9, 2009 | PBS, The Department of Health and Human Services has appropriated about a billion dollars towards development of the H1N1 vaccine and that another 7.5 billion would be available through the emergency preparedness program. That's an awful lot of money and it is something that we will all pay for through our taxes.
It is also a lot of money to spend if there isn't anything to worry about.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 PM

214 posts, read 564,905 times
Default True. . .

Quote:
but you have to rely on the hygiene of others and people don't know how to wash their hands correctly. And I don't know that my son's teachers make them wash often enough or long enough at school.
I agree with you. . .and, once again, I think that is very problematic. It demonstrates that our "disease control" priorities are in the wrong place. I know that it is not just the uneducated and impoverished who lack adequate and basic hygiene. . .and I am AMAZED at how many "knowledgeable" individuals lack the basic knowledge of disease transmission. I also find it interesting how many people talk about preventative measures but do not live by their own words.

I just wish that people put more emphasis on hygiene as they do with keeping up with the latest media hype.

But ultimately, disease is good. . .and the immune system NEEDS the challenge. This was recently proven with the new discoveries of the appendix.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,507,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
For the most part I agree with your post. Not enough disagreement to debate

However, when I said this September compared to last September I meant ALL FLU ACTIVITY PUT TOGETHER. Yes H1N1 is the prominent strain BUT it is no worse this year than the prominent one last year. In fact, the cdc says that the H1N1 is NOT as serious as the seasonal flu. That yes older adults and young children are the target NOT the elderly, that the elderly usually die more often from SEASONAL compared to the targeted group this season SO FAR.
Thanks for clarifying.

And as we have all heard, they believe that those at least 74 years and older have been in contact with this strain before & have natural immunity.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,227,717 times
So please realize that if you or your child receive a swine flu vaccine, you will be acting as a TEST subject.

Remember this vaccine will not be made using the methods of the past. In order to speed up the cultivation of the virus and the manufacturing process, they’re using human liver cells instead of chicken eggs. Whether this new procedure is better or worse than the old method, I can’t say … but it’s never been used before and they have not had time to conduct any human testing.

So, it’s a giant game of Russian Roulette that you simply want to avoid.

Conspiracy Central Forums > WHO Admits to Releasing Pandemic Virus into Population via 'Mock-Up' Vaccines

No way is my family getting any vaccinations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting