Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
This isn't "basic evolution"...

This is completely backwards.
You might find it strange that I disagree.

Quote:
This isn't how viruses mutate and it isn't how the flu vaccines are designed to work.
Really? The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus from mutating. It prevents it from being active and thus contagious. If *that* strain of the virus is not contagious, then the virus that is alive in other victims will continue to mutate, and eventually it will mutate into a strain that *is* contagious despite the vaccine.

We know this because it happens every year. This is why they have to *guess* which basic strain they think is going to mutate into the dominant contagious strain for the year.

Quote:
Vaccines aren't equivalent to antibiotics, they don't "wipe out" weaker strains of flu. Vaccines promote the production of antibodies to a specific strain of virus so that your own immune system will kick in when/if it is exposed to the same/similar antigen(virus) in the future.
Yes, assumed most people here already know how a vaccine works.

Quote:
Viruses, like other micro organisms "evolve" through random mutations and natural selection. This evolution will occur with or without "pressure" from vaccinated individuals.
And what do you think natural selection will do when the available carriers of a flu strain significantly diminish?

Quote:
There is no biologic rationale to allowing "weak flu's" to survive.
Other than, you know, survival of more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Citizen, you are dangerously close to displaying cynicism towards your Most Benevolent Government. We have only Your Best Interests at heart.

You will trust Us.

Reported: Incident #: C-0909171027-A
You made me giggle.

...tracing IP address... scramble the black suburbans, stealth helicopters, and men in black suits.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM

214 posts, read 565,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
You might find it strange that I disagree.

Really? The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus from mutating. It prevents it from being active and thus contagious. If *that* strain of the virus is not contagious, then the virus that is alive in other victims will continue to mutate, and eventually it will mutate into a strain that *is* contagious despite the vaccine.

We know this because it happens every year. This is why they have to *guess* which basic strain they think is going to mutate into the dominant contagious strain for the year.

Yes, assumed most people here already know how a vaccine works.

And what do you think natural selection will do when the available carriers of a flu strain significantly diminish?

Other than, you know, survival of more people.

It is very VERY difficult to explain virus, vaccines, and the immune system on a site like this. . . especially when many are opposed to learning things for themselves.

If most people--with opinions--understood the mechanisms that viruses (and bacteria) employ to cause infection, then most of these discussions/debates would be nonexistent. If the question was posted here about how a virus--let's say the flu--cause infection and is able to evade long term medical (and immunological) control. . .most posters would have HUGE question marks above their heads. Most laypersons have NO idea. They just force-feed what has been fed to them.

This is why it is advised that people know things for themselves and not because someone told them. Maybe look up DNA and RNA virus. . .and many would understand why some organisms are so hard to combat. And why sometimes vaccination is not the answer to their control. . .most times simple hygiene is adequate.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
. .most times simple hygiene is adequate.
It's easier for some to get a shot than to wash their hands & stay home when they are indeed sick.

But I also don't think the government is feeding us a vaccine for the heck of it. They are very much in a damn if you do; damn if you don't situation. I am not saying to blindly listen & follow, but to look at both sides with the same amount of time & research.

Actually, none of us have the correct answer....

I know I don't know the answers to much of it. And I am trying my best to educate myself. And I think that even the basic concept of transcription is beyond most b/c that is not even taught until the college level, if that...

Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's easier for some to get a shot than to wash their hands & stay home when they are indeed sick.

But I also don't think the government is feeding us a vaccine for the heck of it. They are very much in a damn if you do; damn if you don't situation. I am not saying to blindly listen & follow, but to look at both sides with the same amount of time & research.

I know I don't know the answers to much of it. And I am trying my best to educate myself. And I think that even the basic concept of transcription is beyond most b/c that is not even taught until the college level, if that...

I agree about the damned if you do damned if you don't.

But I also think they use that as a crutch, thus the new vaccine.

If anyone bothers to watch the news, read the cdc website and a million others out there they would read that this virus is weak, mild, not likely to mutate and children and older people are getting the most mild symptoms. This September is even milder in general when compared to last September.

They DO give the truth. IT is up to us to take our heads out of the gutter and read into it

Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Default I understand. . .

Quote:

Regarding your hygiene statement: That is unfortunate because basic sanitation is the easiest means to controlling infection.

About the "correct answer": I agree that the correct answer is dictated by one's situation. But for the majority of us with healthy immune systems, the facts are facts. And most of the times the average physician DOES NOT have the facts (note: I have close friends who are physicians--ranging from general to pediatric cardiologist to neurologist. They are intelligent and good at what they do but many of these individuals do not operate outside of their medical school text books and training.)

Science is ever evolving. And, a lot of health-care providers, like so many people, find it difficult to keep up with the latest research and data. But I feel that it is every individual's duty to try to learn facts. . .and I applaud those who ask questions, but make sure that you know the source of the answer.

Lastly, as a researcher, I have seen both sides of the spectrum (the CDC and academia). . .my advice is to follow the paper trail (research data) and ask those individuals questions.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

If anyone bothers to watch the news, read the cdc website and a million others out there they would read that this virus is weak, mild, not likely to mutate and children and older people are getting the most mild symptoms. This September is even milder in general when compared to last September.

They DO give the truth. IT is up to us to take our heads out of the gutter and read into it
I do agree and this has been confirmed by many sources. My younger brother was a confirmed case last week. . .and his symptoms were VERY mild.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

Well, last Sept the H1N1A was not in the population...so are you speaking of seasonal influenza? And September 09 just hit its midpoint...so, to compare this Sept to last Sept (unless you are solely looking at the 1st-16th), is not necessarily accurate.

They have to use a crutch....and if they weren't doing anything, those on the other side would say it was a crutch....it's a mess for the CDC, WHO and fed. government at this time. And with the media and internet the way it is, there is so much MISinformation, even on the common cold, that it takes time & patience.

The virus is showing to be weak and no signs of mutation. What is concerning though is how it is affecting those who severely reacting to it. THAT is not along the pattern of seasonal influenza but more of the lines of the avian influenza.

But, the stats of those who need emergency care or long term care or even dying from it are showing a pattern...obese with either pulmonary problems or other underlying health conditionsl primarily related to the respiratory system. I thought I read a stat that said pregnant women were at 6% of the fatalities. I am not quoting it b/c I don't have time to find the article right now. But, I have not read anything about the pregnant women having underlying conditions other than the fact that a pregnant woman's immune system is already lowered when they are pregnant and lung capacity does decrease. I believe that all the infants that have died from this had underlying conditions.

There is a tremendous amount of information on how viruses and infections spread and how some should NOT be stopped or can't be. It is out there. But you have to go through a lot of misinformation to get to the correct. And you have to be able to distinguish b/w fear mongering and truth.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Well, last Sept the H1N1A was not in the population...so are you speaking of seasonal influenza? And September 09 just hit its midpoint...so, to compare this Sept to last Sept (unless you are solely looking at the 1st-16th), is not necessarily accurate.

They have to use a crutch....and if they weren't doing anything, those on the other side would say it was a crutch....it's a mess for the CDC, WHO and fed. government at this time. And with the media and internet the way it is, there is so much MISinformation, even on the common cold, that it takes time & patience.

The virus is showing to be weak and no signs of mutation. What is concerning though is how it is affecting those who severely reacting to it. THAT is not along the pattern of seasonal influenza but more of the lines of the avian influenza.

But, the stats of those who need emergency care or long term care or even dying from it are showing a pattern...obese with either pulmonary problems or other underlying health conditionsl primarily related to the respiratory system. I thought I read a stat that said pregnant women were at 6% of the fatalities. I am not quoting it b/c I don't have time to find the article right now. But, I have not read anything about the pregnant women having underlying conditions other than the fact that a pregnant woman's immune system is already lowered when they are pregnant and lung capacity does decrease. I believe that all the infants that have died from this had underlying conditions.

There is a tremendous amount of information on how viruses and infections spread and how some should NOT be stopped or can't be. It is out there. But you have to go through a lot of misinformation to get to the correct. And you have to be able to distinguish b/w fear mongering and truth.

I have a friend who is a nurse and when all the H1N1 hit the news she told me based on the symptoms that the H1N1 had been in our hospital before April. If Mexico had not had a huge outbreak would we have even known about H1N1 or just assumed it was a particularly bad year for the flu. There are alot of unanswered questions from the medical community which I suspect is because they don't have all the answers.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:

For the most part I agree with your post. Not enough disagreement to debate

However, when I said this September compared to last September I meant ALL FLU ACTIVITY PUT TOGETHER. Yes H1N1 is the prominent strain BUT it is no worse this year than the prominent one last year. In fact, the cdc says that the H1N1 is NOT as serious as the seasonal flu. That yes older adults and young children are the target NOT the elderly, that the elderly usually die more often from SEASONAL compared to the targeted group this season SO FAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting