Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM

103 posts, read 249,943 times

Advertisements

This is true txtqueen. I am trying to focus on that. She said right before she left she needed a fresh start. I am starting to think we do too. So she has it now. Sigh.. Although she did tell me she is constantly checking his phone b/c she obviously doesn't trust him. He is a bad boy with a bad rep so I don't blame her. Hopefully, she will see the light.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0628 View Post
This is true txtqueen. I am trying to focus on that. She said right before she left she needed a fresh start. I am starting to think we do too. So she has it now. Sigh.. Although she did tell me she is constantly checking his phone b/c she obviously doesn't trust him. He is a bad boy with a bad rep so I don't blame her. Hopefully, she will see the light.
And while many parents may not like it, pot and sex, they aren't the worst.
Yes, pot is illegal but the first time you get caught they usually just take your stuff and smash the pipe, trust me I got to smash a lot of pipes with my steel toes boots back in the day biggest one was like 12in and me and the officer took turns stepping on it.
Second time is when you get ticketed. Unless she's carrying A LOT on her, she won't get arrested.

I think the most adult thing she is doing right now was leaving the house because she didn't want to go by the rules, instead of staying breaking the rules and making your lives miserable even more.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,792,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Pre-MEDICATED!?
It was the pot.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think the most adult thing she is doing right now was leaving the house because she didn't want to go by the rules, instead of staying breaking the rules and making your lives miserable even more.
Adult thing? Really, you think that was an adult thing? Sweetie, you have a LOT more maturing to do.

How was it adult for her to just leave, unprepared, no job, and probably won't find one... you know, with all the employers drug-screening new employees. The ADULT thing for her to do was to try to negotiate with her parents new rules/compromises.

Adult, my azz.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Adult thing? Really, you think that was an adult thing? Sweetie, you have a LOT more maturing to do.

How was it adult for her to just leave, unprepared, no job, and probably won't find one... you know, with all the employers drug-screening new employees. The ADULT thing for her to do was to try to negotiate with her parents new rules/compromises.

Adult, my azz.
I'm just repeating things I have heard from here.
That the more adult thing is to just leave if you don't like it, instead of staying at home breaking mommy and daddys rules.
That's what I was told over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea....again here since 2009.

And apparently negotiating is not a good thing either. The general consensus seemed to be "my house, my rules, I don't negotiate". So many parents here say they wouldn't negotiate with their adult children on house rules because it was their house and they could make whatever rules they wanted no matter how unreasonable.

Just sayin', ive heard the same stuff for 3-4 years now, so I am just repeating what I have heard.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm just repeating things I have heard from here.
That the more adult thing is to just leave if you don't like it, instead of staying at home breaking mommy and daddys rules.
That's what I was told over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea....again here since 2009.

And apparently negotiating is not a good thing either. The general consensus seemed to be "my house, my rules, I don't negotiate". So many parents here say they wouldn't negotiate with their adult children on house rules because it was their house and they could make whatever rules they wanted no matter how unreasonable.

Just sayin', ive heard the same stuff for 3-4 years now, so I am just repeating what I have heard.

Well, we don't know that in this case, do we? The little brat didn't try. She just wanted to make her own rules while her parents foot the bill.

In general, it is "my house, my rules." And not allowing your kids to indulge in behavior that is destructive not only to them, but to the household in general is a reasonable rule.

When you grow up you'll understand.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well, we don't know that in this case, do we? The little brat didn't try. She just wanted to make her own rules while her parents foot the bill.

In general, it is "my house, my rules." And not allowing your kids to indulge in behavior that is destructive not only to them, but to the household in general is a reasonable rule.

When you grow up you'll understand.
Unless the behavior or whatever is brought into the house how exactly does it affect the house?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl999 View Post
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I left home when I was 17, because I was fed up with my mother's curfews and rules. Mom didn't fight it, if fact, she helped me find a job to pay my part of the rent where I moved (with two girlfriends that graduated the year before). After six months, I moved back home because working and going to school -- and my friends' social lives were too much for me at the time.

Think of her as one of Mary's lambs. Leave her alone and she'll come home. She may not move home, but she'll be back.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I left home when I was 17, because I was fed up with my mother's curfews and rules. Mom didn't fight it, if fact, she helped me find a job to pay my part of the rent where I moved (with two girlfriends that graduated the year before). After six months, I moved back home because working and going to school -- and my friends' social lives were too much for me at the time.

Think of her as one of Mary's lambs. Leave her alone and she'll come home. She may not move home, but she'll be back.
I left too when I could because I was tired of my mom.
I probably did some stuff that made my mom cringe but it was for the best, the relationship is better, we can talk civilly for the most part and I left with a crap job, little money and no plan. I have turned it into something amazing now.

Sometimes adult children really do need to just leave the nest. Maybe it won't be in the best circumstances. Many people her age are told when they first start out they may not live in the best of places, that they might have to go without stuff like a cool phone or something, that it'll be rough and hard and you just have to get through it but then when their child is actually in that situation then they have an issue with it.

If she is still passing her senior year then she should still be able to get into that college, colleges don't look at grades the last part of senior year, they really don't even look at senior grades, they look at junior year when you do the SAT and ACT and the major test and junior year is really when all the college stuff goes on.

Hopefully she still gets into that college and can go get her partying out of her system.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Unless the behavior or whatever is brought into the house how exactly does it affect the house?
Are you really that short-sighted, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.