Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times

Advertisements

We're very friendly with our next-door neighbors. There's no fence separating my backyard from theirs, so our kids treat it like one big backyard and are always running back and forth. My problem is that our neighbors have a teenage son, and when his friends drive over to visit they come speeding down the driveway and I'm afraid they're going to hit my kids. (I live in an older neighborhood where the garages are behind the houses, and my neighbors' driveway is between my backyard and theirs.) I could tell my kids not to play in the driveway, but they'll still have to cross it to get from one yard to the other. And I don't want my neighbors to be insulted if I tell my kids they can't play over there anymore. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
We're very friendly with our next-door neighbors. There's no fence separating my backyard from theirs, so our kids treat it like one big backyard and are always running back and forth. My problem is that our neighbors have a teenage son, and when his friends drive over to visit they come speeding down the driveway and I'm afraid they're going to hit my kids. (I live in an older neighborhood where the garages are behind the houses, and my neighbors' driveway is between my backyard and theirs.) I could tell my kids not to play in the driveway, but they'll still have to cross it to get from one yard to the other. And I don't want my neighbors to be insulted if I tell my kids they can't play over there anymore. Does anyone have any advice?
Stop them and tell them to slow down. It's really pretty easy. I'd have absolutely no problem telling the teenagers on my street to lighten up on the lead foot. I couldn't imagine your neighbors having an issue with you conveying your feelings, especially since children are involved.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
just say something to your neighbor like

" wow Jimmy really flies in here sometimes, don't you woory about the younger ones playing near the driveway?"

I am assuming that if you have younger kids they do too

Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 PM

464 posts, read 752,971 times
I would tell them all to slow down. The kid and his friends, and then tell his parents that you told them all to slow down. I've been there and am still doing that, because they need to be reminded. Don't nag, but if they start up again remind them. I have a 19 yr.old and would not be insulted in the least if I was told my son was driving to fast. I always tell him you never know who will tell me how you are driving and if I just may happen to see you being careless.
Good Luck !

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
Thank you all for your input. I'll tell them that they need to slow down...I just hope they listen. (If not I can always threaten to call their parents, right? lol)

Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
Thank you all for your input. I'll tell them that they need to slow down...I just hope they listen. (If not I can always threaten to call their parents, right? lol)
You can tell the teen-agers (and even notify their parents) to slow down and if they are basically good kids, they might even do that for awhile. After having had a teen-ager, I personally would not trust my child's safety to a teen-agers ability to remember and follow directions if you know what I mean. I'm a little unclear on exactly the situation you're dealing with. If it's really a hazard, I would say you need to do whatever you need to do to protect your own children. In other words, don't rely on teen-agers to remember and obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting