U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 PM

188 posts, read 839,339 times

Advertisements

Here is a note to parents who have a son or daughter who is engaged.
My son and his girlfriend have been engaged for 4 months and had the wedding date set ( his girlfriend and I have looked at dresses and invitations..really got me excited about the upcoming wedding). My son talked me into adding her cell phone to my plan. No problem, she has paid her part of the bill and she doesn't use alot of minutes. Well, I was informed tonight that the engagement is off. ( Hubby doesn't know yet...he is going to flip..he didn't want me to add her to our line anyway) Should I have the phone turned off? Suspend the service ( in hopes that they get back together) or trust her not to go wild and call everybody she knows and run up the minutes? (I would hate to have to kick her ***.) The phone is hers
( it was a pre paid that she had bought) so I don't think I can physically take the phone from her. To have the phone turned off it will cost me $175.00
( which is out of the question at this time). To make a long story short....note to parents....no matter how much your son or daughter says
" but mom, she (He) will pay the bill....I love her ( him)...we are going to get married" Turn around and run as fast as you can!! If you can't run, pretend to faint or have a heart attack, anything to get out of it! Any one else had this problem? Any ideas? Excuse me while I go and try to wipe the stupid sign of of my forehead. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,244,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Here is a note to parents who have a son or daughter who is engaged.
My son and his girlfriend have been engaged for 4 months and had the wedding date set ( his girlfriend and I have looked at dresses and invitations..really got me excited about the upcoming wedding). My son talked me into adding her cell phone to my plan. No problem, she has paid her part of the bill and she doesn't use alot of minutes. Well, I was informed tonight that the engagement is off. ( Hubby doesn't know yet...he is going to flip..he didn't want me to add her to our line anyway) Should I have the phone turned off? Suspend the service ( in hopes that they get back together) or trust her not to go wild and call everybody she knows and run up the minutes? (I would hate to have to kick her ***.) The phone is hers
( it was a pre paid that she had bought) so I don't think I can physically take the phone from her. To have the phone turned off it will cost me $175.00
( which is out of the question at this time). To make a long story short....note to parents....no matter how much your son or daughter says
" but mom, she (He) will pay the bill....I love her ( him)...we are going to get married" Turn around and run as fast as you can!! If you can't run, pretend to faint or have a heart attack, anything to get out of it! Any one else had this problem? Any ideas? Excuse me while I go and try to wipe the stupid sign of of my forehead. Thanks!
Well, this may seem obvious...but I'd make your son pay the bill. Let him learn the possible long-term consequences about getting too 'married looking' before the ceremony. Who knows, maybe it would help with quick committals, pre-marital sex, etc. I dunno...just a thought.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,333 times
Turn the line off and have her pay the fee (or her and your son can split the fee)
Seems pretty simple to me.

On a different note...if your son is old enough to make the decision to get married, shouldn't he be old enough to pay for his own cell phone bill and be on his own plan?

Old 05-04-2007, 04:27 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,603,614 times
Honestly, if my son had gone through the agony of a broken engagement, the last thing I would be worried about is who is going to pay for the cell phone.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:29 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,603,614 times
And by the way, if I was the son, and my engagement broke up and all my parents were worried about was who will pay for the ex's cell phone, I'd be a little more than unhappy with my parents.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM

188 posts, read 839,339 times
I haven't said anything to our son about the cell phone ( we are not that cruel) And yes, he does pay his part every month. We left him on our plan because he doesn't have any credit, and my contract will not be up for renewal for quite a while. We are going to give them a month to patch things up, then we will see what our options are. (She has agreed to pay her part this month). I think they will get back together, so may not have a problem after all. Thanks for the input!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or