Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:12 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times

Advertisements

Okay, I don't know if this has been posted before, but in the months that I have been on CD I have not seen this.

I got this in an e-mail the other day and just finally opened it and I can tell you I could relate.

Some of you folks with a little age on you will apprecitate this. The author is unknown:

GOD BLESS THE PARENTS WHO DRUGGED US..
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question.
"Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"
I replied I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cocklebur's out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
God bless the parents who drugged us.

AMEN!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,482 times
I can relate to this. I was also "drug" to the nursing home where my mother worked because some of the elderly didn't have grandchildren to visit them so we were their surrogate grandchildren.

However, the drugs today are very different than the drugs to which we had access. A parent today, doesn't stand a chance if they are not on a constant vigil. Once these kids develop an addiction to L-tabs, oxycot, crack, crank or combos thereof, they are addicts for life. We could pick up weed and put it down... Kids and adults can't put down these drugs and that is what is so scary.

I think you could be the best parent on earth and drag your child everywhere and yet, under peer pressure, some children crack and smoke it too! I feel badly for us all and am not looking forward to my children hitting the teens for just that reason. I try to give them every tool I can so they can say no with confidence, but it is in their hands after they leave the house.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I can relate to this. I was also "drug" to the nursing home where my mother worked because some of the elderly didn't have grandchildren to visit them so we were their surrogate grandchildren.

However, the drugs today are very different than the drugs to which we had access. A parent today, doesn't stand a chance if they are not on a constant vigil. Once these kids develop an addiction to L-tabs, oxycot, crack, crank or combos thereof, they are addicts for life. We could pick up weed and put it down... Kids and adults can't put down these drugs and that is what is so scary.

I think you could be the best parent on earth and drag your child everywhere and yet, under peer pressure, some children crack and smoke it too! I feel badly for us all and am not looking forward to my children hitting the teens for just that reason. I try to give them every tool I can so they can say no with confidence, but it is in their hands after they leave the house.
Yeah, but the way I see it, if more kids had more of the other "drug" problem, there wouldn't be that many kids applying peer pressure to use drugs. The way I see it, kids with the other "drug" problem might actually be able to apply peer pressure on those who are thinking of using drugs to not even try it.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Good one!!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Okay, I don't know if this has been posted before, but in the months that I have been on CD I have not seen this.

I got this in an e-mail the other day and just finally opened it and I can tell you I could relate.

Some of you folks with a little age on you will apprecitate this. The author is unknown:

GOD BLESS THE PARENTS WHO DRUGGED US..
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question.
"Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"
I replied I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cocklebur's out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
God bless the parents who drugged us.

AMEN!!!!!!!
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 383,342 times
I was drugged too...and I try to drug my kids as much as possible

Old 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
I have great, well mannered and well behaved children. I've not once drug them to church, nor have I washed their mouths out with soap. In fact, when it comes to a lot of the stuff on this list, I believe firmly in teaching the appropriate behavior before you need to punish for inappropriate behavior. IMO, if you teach a kid to be respectful in the first place, then you won't have to wear it's hind it out for being disrespectful.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I have great, well mannered and well behaved children. I've not once drug them to church, nor have I washed their mouths out with soap. In fact, when it comes to a lot of the stuff on this list, I believe firmly in teaching the appropriate behavior before you need to punish for inappropriate behavior. IMO, if you teach a kid to be respectful in the first place, then you won't have to wear it's hind it out for being disrespectful.
You must not have teens yet!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
I so agree

(and did have two teens and still have a third teen at home)
My children were/are fine,respectful people and a blessing to their families and will never be a burden or problam to society.
Never been whipped or soaped.

Last edited by nanannie; 09-22-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,932 times
Quote:

Then you must write a book and teach us other parents the "secret" that you know that we don't, because even the best kids at some point have to be drug to do something that they wouldn't do on their own.

That being said I do agree that if you teach them to be respectful in the first place you won't have as much trouble later on.

For example the other day a woman at the store asked me how I taught my 4yr old to say "please and thank you". I thought about it and realized I didn't teach them to say it I just said it to them and to whoever I was talking to that would merit such a response, as I have done with all my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting