U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 32,509 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure but I think child support does not have to be payed past 18 if he child is out of school, or 21 if he remains in school. But if he has avoided past payments you're definately owed them. How much he is obligated to part with to repay you will dictate how long it takes to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapalo View Post
My ex husband was ordered to pay child support two months ago. Just to discover he quit his job and is out of state. What can I do to get child support for the children I have with him. His Mom knows where he is, what should I do???? Please help
I have helped friends find ex husbands who owe child support, friends who are adopted find their birth families and others who have just lost track of old friends...if you want to email me, please feel free...I am pretty good at doing searches like that, starting out with only a name. I do it for free just to help people. Its like solving a mystery too me and I get to flex my internet skills at the same time.

If you go to the court who ordered the child support with no idea of where he is, I'm not sure how long it would take for them to track him down.

Lethalfind@yahoo.com

email me, I would be happy to see if I could find him online...I might not be able to find where he works but I might be able to find where he is living now.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,695,159 times
I know it's difficult, but you are eating away at your time and energy. He's a loser and the children knows this. Your job is to continue to take care of the children the best you can. People spend too much time fighting a losing battle. I'm not saying that you don't need the money or deserve it (I know you do). But any man who is running away from his responsiblity is a wuss. No good will ever come to him because of his actions. I have a best friend in the same situation, her ex husband went from making over $86,000 to now claiming to make $100 a week. She spend too much energy back in forth in court when she clearly takes care of her child already. You're not letting him lose--you are just freeing yourself mentally from the anguish--move on.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,755,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapalo View Post
My ex husband was ordered to pay child support two months ago. Just to discover he quit his job and is out of state. What can I do to get child support for the children I have with him. His Mom knows where he is, what should I do???? Please help
call the court
In some states it is illegal to abandon your job in order to not pay child support

He can actually be put in jail if he gets to far in arrears
Let the court know that his mom has his location
She will have to tell them or be in violation as well

Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,755,998 times
The Law Today

Today, a child support violator can be prosecuted under Federal law if the following facts exists: 1) the violator willfully failed to pay; 2) a known child support obligation; 3) which has a) remained unpaid for longer than a year or is greater than $5,000 (misdemeanor), or has b) remained unpaid for longer than two years or is greater than $10,000 (felony) 4) for a child who resides in another state, or 1) the violator traveled in interstate or foreign commerce; 2) with the intent to evade a support obligation; 3) if such obligation has remained unpaid for a period of one year or longer-or is greater than $5,000 (felony). See 18 U.S.C. 228.

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/ceos/child_support.htm (broken link)

Old 05-17-2007, 08:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 8,057,859 times
I fought w/my ex for years to get him to pay child support. He always got out of it one way or another, the kicker too, was he wsnt denied any visitation (one the rare odd times he actually took her) and the single time I denied him, we were in court so fast and I got lectured by the judge! At that point, my ex was about 15thous. in arrears. Not a single finger shake at him! I was fried!! So, I really got to fighting it, had the state take it over, and i was all over it on tracking him down, and keeping ontop of it all. Took a few years, and a lot of frustration,but he was finally on the states naughty list and they really cracked down on him. The first time he went to jail, was for his birthday, the second time, was Christmas eve and a few days after Christmas, the fourth, just over regular time (but he was mad!! lol) and the final time, my personal fav. was from Dec. 20-Jan 4th. Now he pays. Not much grant you, and he manages to keep me from getting any tax returns or whatnot that he gets back, but he pays.
I totally get where youre coming from. Its so frustrating and maddening. My ex used to taunt our daughter (yes, taunt HER, when she was like 5yrs old!!) that it was HIS money and she couldnt have ANY! You wonder what in the world you ever saw in this guy, eh?
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,906 posts, read 6,124,729 times
I agree with those who have been through it -- it's AWFUL!!!
I actually work in law enforcement, so it's not like I'm out of the loop -- but there are too many of these men doing this, and there is not enough manpower to go around to round them up, and so they know they can get away with it.

For me, I'm in a better position in some ways because my ex will be 59 this year -- he's only 3 years from collecting Social Security (hope he doesn't kick off before that). I'm taking my daughter down to the Social Security office when she turns 18 so that she can set up all the arrangements she needs to get any Social Security garnishments from him when the time comes.

It has been really super hard financially, but my daughter's welfare and mental health are intact. I am very creative in finding ways to get her things (the two scholarships to send her to Chile as a foreign exchange student, for example), and other things, so that she can have some advantages that she couldn't normally have. Since I don't come from money, and we don't get any money from my ex, I have had to be extra resourceful. It's not easy.

I get so agitated when I see all these articles about how to get child support and all that.....in the end, it really means nothing unless the guy is actually using his correct Social Security number and he is actually working a job that must file taxes and then the wages can be garnished. Other than that, it's a losing battle. I used to get very upset and hurt and angry about it -- I have, fortunately, worked through that part of it. I will never get over the fact that he had no feelings or any conscience. There is nothing I can do -- or any of us can do who are in this situation where the government, employers, and other powers that be do nothing -- except to take extra care of our kids, and work our butts off!

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I hope that some of this feedback is useful to you. Good luck!!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 644 times
Default I have a runner

Hello:

My name is David Leonard I have a girlfriend and she had a child and she has these guy that got her pregnant and now he running and she got hold to his number and she talk to him nicely and ask for his ssn so she can try for her FI checks but he's not given her no answers what can she do the family of the baby daddy is all against her and I can not interfere so I'm asking the public question.

My email is: leonarddavid4550@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or